Obsolete Kit Group build

:thumbsup:

Had a rummage in the stash last night. FROG Miles Magister x2 or Airfix Spitfire V & IX were the first to be unearthed. Plenty time to decide yet.

Welcome to the Obsolete Kit Groupbuild, courtesy of Britmodeller.

Thanks to Mish for finding us a slot and to Col for agreeing to co-host.

Take a good look at your Stash. Somewhere in the dark and nasty regions at the back of the cupboard, where nobody goes, sits a mouldering box. Deep within this dank and uninviting place, lurk old kits, their box art faded and uninspiring, their prices scrawled on in shillings and pence. But that's nothing compared to the horrors that lurk within the kit boxes themselves: kits with no wheel bays... kits with marking locations moulded in... kits with the pilot's head moulded onto a shelf... For there is always something horrifying down there... in the dark... waiting to come out... :door:

Of course, no sane person would ever dream of building these because... well, there's a lovely shiny Edrevfujitamigawa kit of the same subject. Or because it's going to take a bit of work to bring it up to standard. :fraidnot: Or because... well, just look at it... :yikes::door:

Well, every dog has its day. And this groupbuild will give those dogs of kits their own day in the sun.

There is only one hard and fast rule:

Lancfan's Law. The kit must have been issued at least thirty years before the start of the GB.

This applies to the original boxing. Subsequent reissues are eligible. So any kit which was issued before or during 1983 is in.

There is also a guideline:

Murdo's Law. "I opened the box for a quick look, shuddered, cried, then very quickly closed it again. What in the world was I thinking of?"

You know a rubbish kit just by looking at it. If it's a rubbish kit, then it's in. If you look at it and think "ooh! That's nice, I'd really like to build that sometime" then it's not a rubbish kit. And let's not consider kits against the standard of their times. Yes, it may have been state of the art in 1783 when it was first issued, but that doesn't mean it is any less pants in this day and age.

I also foresee three different ways in which a model can be built for this GB.

Built to the highest standards possible with rescribing, resin, PE and scratchbuilt parts. This could be an attempt to build a model from the old kit to be indistinguishable from one built from the latest Edrevfujitamigawa kit. For instance, make the Frog Gannet look like the Revell one.

Built OOB using all the techniques you know. Filling, spraying, weathering, maybe a bit of rescribing. Build an old kit in the same manner and to the same standards as you would a modern one.

A nostalgia build. An old kit built in exactly the same style as when you first built it forty-odd years ago. No filler or sanding of joint lines. Enamel paint daubed on using a hairy stick. An attempt to recapture the joys of your youth!

Of course, it's your model, so you build it in the manner that you see fit. There will be no seperate categories for the different build styles.

All the other usual GB rules - the ones about no more than 25% complete on the start date and the most important GB rule of all (having fun) - will apply.

And if thou dost pepper thine build thread with comments which could by merry hap be attributed to a goodly knight in days of yore then foresooth, have at it!

Lay on, Britmodeller. And damned be he who first cries "Hold! Enough!" Cry "havoc!" and let slip the dogs of modelling.

Ooh! Airfix Havoc anyone? :lol:

I will be in - just need to find a kit - but as I have doubled the stash already this year I need to build some first (as well as still need to paint the spare room - which I should;ve done before doubling the stash.... naughty Robert)

Candidates:

1 Richard B.

2 per ardua ad ostentationem

3 lancfan

4 Max Headroom

5 Ghostbase

6 Murdo

7 Col.

8 CliffB

9 heloman1

10 Enzo Matrix

11 robw_uk

12 Giorgio N

13 Kallisti

14 Mikkel

15 wyverns4

16 dazdot

17 Richard B

18 Radleigh

19 martin hale

20 chrisrope

21 Arniec

22 CPNGROATS

23 kev67

24 Doug Rogers

25 GordonD

26 Navy Bird

27 Madam I'm Adam

28 Ancient Mariner

29 spitfire23bc

30 Paul J

31 TonyGol

32 sunshine coast

33 wellzy

Candidates:

25 GordonD

Note that I have been shanghaied into this against my will, but that's Enzo for you. I've known him for years and though he's a really nice guy he can be very persuasive at times. As I'm particularly fond of both my kneecaps I've decided to go along...

Note that I have been shanghaied into this against my will, but that's Enzo for you. I've known him for years and though he's a really nice guy he can be very persuasive at times. As I'm particularly fond of both my kneecaps I've decided to go along...

:fight:

anyroads... you know you're gonna love it! :tease: Did you get that Heinkel?

Ehhmmmm would a P-61 from be possible for this build?! I don't know it's original date of birth.

I have found the date myself. It's from 1974 so that should be no problem and there is now the Great wall kit so it tiks almost all the boxes with the exeption that it can come out of the box and want's to stay out.

I am planning to build it with a lot of goedies and rescribe the whole plane.

Edited by Arniec

Ehhmmmm would a P-61 from be possible for this build?! I don't know it's original date of birth.

I have found the date myself. It's from 1974 so that should be no problem and there is now the Great wall kit so it tiks almost all the boxes with the exeption that it can come out of the box and want's to stay out.

I am planning to build it with a lot of goedies and rescribe the whole plane.

Is that the 1/48 Monogram kit?

I know the kit has its problems - notably with the transparencies simply not fitting at all - but I wouldn't say it was a rubbish kit. All of the Monogram kits from around that period still stand up and pretty nice kits.

On the other hand, if you were to build the 1/72 Airfix kit...

Edited by Enzo Matrix

Is that the 1/48 Monogram kit?

I know the kit has its problems - notably with the transparencies simply not fitting at all - but I wouldn't say it was a rubbish kit. All of the Monogram kits from around that period still stand up and pretty nice kits.

On the other hand, if you were to build the 1/72 Airfix kit...

I don't own that many kits that are rubbinsh, But maybee I still have some 1/72 Matchbox kits lying around. I also have a 1/48 Harrier Gr.3 from Airfix, but I believe that that was a kit that hasen't been improved by anybody.

Some where I have a Republic P43 Lancer 1/48 dont no who did it and dont know how old it is .

But if it fits in to this G/B that what I will be building

wellzy :headphones:

Some where I have a Republic P43 Lancer 1/48 dont no who did it and dont know how old it is .

For some reason I keep thinking Willams Bros. but have no evidence or reason why.

The 1/48 P-43 that I have is a Classic AirFrames kit # 413. It has options for a USAAF a/c and a Chinese a/c. A small p/e instrument panel with film instrument faces. Includes two vacform canopies...Can't say when this kit was orig. issued...

Regards,

ggc

P.S. I think Williams Brothers issued a 1/32 P-35 some time ago...

Came across a PM 72nd scale Su-15 'Flagon' is the stash this evening. After a brief investigation the misshapen lumps of plastic were put back in the box. The only part of this kit looking anything like a Su-15 is the title on the box so while it would be a great candidate for this GB it'll take some time and several beers before I find the courage to tackle that daft idea.

Know the Sea Fury was/is pretty basic but don't think I've ever seen the Skua kit.

Seems perfect for the task though.

Off the top of my head, the models in my stash that fit the bill are:

1/72 Chematic (ex-Frog) S6B

1/72 Airfix B-29

1/72 Airfix Halifax

1/72 Airfix Gladiator

I've made a tiny start of the B-29, and I think I'll be saving that for a lengthier AMS build. The others though...

I have a feeling it'll be the Gladiator. Oh what am I doing!? :banghead:

Dan

The 1/48 P-43 that I have is a Classic AirFrames kit # 413. It has options for a USAAF a/c and a Chinese a/c. A small p/e instrument panel with film instrument faces. Includes two vacform canopies...Can't say when this kit was orig. issued...

Regards,

ggc

P.S. I think Williams Brothers issued a 1/32 P-35 some time ago...

Think your right with the Classic A irFrames have to find out how old it is