Corvette Concept

Just started another vehicle, this time a corvette concept car from the early 70's, the Aerovette.

P1030514.jpg

This car was a completely different 'vette, it had a chevy small block V8 mid-mounted which was visible through the glass like modern Ferrari's, it also had cool bi-fold gull-wing doors.

It was probably too radical a design shift for US corvette buyers though!

Engine assembled and painted..

P1030524.jpg

P1030519.jpg

I've just given it a coat of Klear before it gets a wash with some watercolour paints.

That's it for now, thanks for looking!

Interior painted, added accelerator and brake pedals (not that u can see them!)

P1060457.jpg

Found this old video on youtube about the car, it was pretty hi-tech for it's time!

Thanks for looking.

I like "Different" car`s & this surely qualifies as that.

Never seen one of these things, & it`s got me interested, so i`ll be "checkin the `Bay" in a bit....

Nice job so far, Love the interior & Engine block: No ignition wires for you???

No wires, didn't want to feck the engine up! Still plugging away at this, got some more bits painted, also working on sanding and filling the body, it's had a few coats of white primer with wet sands between coats. What's done so far....

P1060469.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Cheers! Got a bit more done over the last two days.

Got the front suspension bits painted. Everything is just dry fitted in these two pics..

P1060519.jpg

P1060517.jpg

The kit instructions call for the front and back panel parts to be put on the body after the chassis is fitted, but that would leave big seam lines. So I fitted them and filled and sanded the seams. I also scribed lines for the bumers. It's had 2 coats of black gloss before I spray the silver/aluminum topcoat.

P1060522.jpg

That's it for now, I think I'm on the home stretch with this one.

Thanks for looking!

Great update!

Didn`t know it was a transverse midmount..... thats NOT a proper Vette, is it?!?!? :hmmm:

Still, interiors nice, Chassis looks good. Was hoping for a candy apple red or a mad filk paint shell: Silve/Ally might be authentic but does sound a bit dull, TBH!

But i can`t wait to see the finished model. Please include a top-down shot so we can see the engine in-situ.

Will do! And i did think of going with another colour other than silver, the black under coat didn't look bad so I contemplated a metallic black, red might be cool too. I reckon the original was done in silver to give it a futuristic look, a bit like the stainless steel DeLorean (in fact John DeLorean was involved in this concept) so I stuck with that.

Polished the black undercoat with Tamiya compound to get a smooth finish for the topcoat...

P1060525.jpg

Sprayed with Alclad silver aluminium.

P1060526.jpg

Just need to let the silver cure before the clear coat. I also need to paint a black edge around the glass and then i can begin assembling it.

Thanks for looking!

Body given a clear coat and the black trim in the glass bits painted. Glass is just dry-fitted. Just a few more bits to do and I can put it together.

P1060527.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Edit: Thinking of scratch building some wipers :hmmm: Anyone done this and made them look convincing??

Edited by Muller

No MM, the original had wipers although with the angle of that windscreen I'd say you wouldn't need them if you were going fast enough!

aerovette_d_a.jpg

The Alclad goes on nice, when I saw how easy it was to achieve a nice finish with it my mind went to other iconic silver cars I could add to the stash!

This being top of the list....

1954_Mercedes_300_SL_Coupe.jpg

Got a more done over the last day or so...

Took a shot of the interior before fitting it so you can see the scratched pedals, also scratched a rear-view mirror (sitting on top the dash)

P1060530.jpg

The engine and rear suspension glued in place...

P1060532.jpg

P1060531.jpg

The front suspension assembly is just dry-fitted in the 1st pic. When you glue the front and rear panels onto the body before fitting the chassis (to avoid the having to fill seams and paint the body with the chassis fitted) you need to bend the front part of the chassis under the front panel to fit the whole thing into the body. If the front suspension is fitted, you can't bend the chassis to fit it in. (hope that makes sense!)

Body glued on, windows in and wheels and side mirrors on...

P1060536.jpg

I should have this done before the weekend.

Thanks for looking!

Cheers MM, got it finished, the louvered windows in engine compartment are in, decals are on and i scratched some wipers for it. I also added a dark wash to the panel lines.

P1060538.jpg

I'll get some more pics done for the RFI section.

It's not a bad kit and builds up into something that represents the real thing fairly well. Still learning though, I'm thinking about going back to WWII and an aircraft for my next build.

Thanks for looking!

Edited by Muller

• 5 weeks later...

It looks great, very nice job Muller! Also the way you show how you did it.

Sven-Ake