Ruined Ionic Column & African/Middle Eastern Well

Mike

Ruined Ionic Column & African/Middle Eastern Well

1:35 Reality In Scale

boxtop.jpg

Reality in Scale have a range of focal points for dioramas and vignettes that take all the hard work out of adding interest to your work. They are exquisitely detailed and superbly cast, needing little or no clean-up before use. They are cast in a very durable flecked grey resin that won't call to pieces during the build.

Each set comes in a sturdy cardboard box, with the smaller components bagged and the larger parts supported in foam chips to prevent damage to the kit. Where appropriate, a sheet of colour pictures have been included to assist with posing the parts and painting.

Ruined Ionic Column (35055)

This is a small section of a larger ruin in Greek, or Ionic style, which have a particular style of scroll and standard proportions between the components. It lends itself to a diorama based in the Mediterranean, and consists of the edge of a floor area with steps up to the main floor, and a corner column, that has been worn and eroded, with the second column block broken off at an angle. At the foot of the column is a broken volute (the scrolls that fit between column and roof), partially engulfed in debris from erosion and its fall from the top. A short section of text can be seen on one part, and the typical egg and dart decoration of the architrave is apparent here and there.

column.jpg

The set is made up from just two large and impressive castings. One forms the base, steps, rubble and column base, with the other being the column sections themselves. The column has been cast in such a way that has a slightly concave base, so could easily be pinned and glued with epoxy without any further work. The base is the same, making assembly as easy as it could possibly be if there were large casting stubs to be removed.

bin.jpg

African/Middle Eastern Well (35159)

The well is formed by one hollow casting, with the stonework rendered on the outside, and the inner wall smooth, but with a texture resembling rough render or pebble-dash. The smaller parts consist of a cover made up from wooden planks, cast in halves to allow posing the parts separately, a wooden bucket, plus the trestle that supports the bucket while it is wound up and down for filling. A length of fine string is included to make the rope, and a length of 0.8mm brass rod to pin the parts together, with a short length of wire/rod supplied to make up the handle of the bucket.

well.jpg

Casting and detail are again superb, with every rock of the outer face individual, and all of the mortar suitably rustic. The lid has a planked and weathered timber effect with large studs holding it together, and the lowering mechanism appears to be two short lengths of un-prepared timber that support the roller, which has been adzed to a roughly cylindrical shape. The bucket is moulded with a full load of water, so the use of some thick clear varnish will be needed to give it a proper watery effect.

Inclusion of the brass rod to pin the kit together is helpful, and the cord seems to have been chosen well, as it has a very fine weave and very little "fuzz" that could spoil the scale effect. The wire for the bucket handle is quite short, and easily lost, so take care of it when you open the package.

bin.jpg

Conclusion

These sets are superb, and a boon to the ham-fisted diorama builder, or novice like myself. They go together with very little effort, and painting is all you have to do to make them come to life. Everything but paint and glue is included, and the sheet of pictures for inspiration in the Ionic column set will help with the correct colour choice.

Highly recommended.

Review sample courtesy of

logo.jpg Distributed in the UK by Historex Agents.

Sorry I've only just seen this one Dave... the diameter is approximately 35mm. You can see it's not a perfect cylinder from the photos :) I also measured the depth to be 25mm in case you were interested ;)

• 1 month later...

Sorry I've only just seen this one Dave... the diameter is approximately 35mm. You can see it's not a perfect cylinder from the photos smile.png I also measured the depth to be 25mm in case you were interested wink.png

Looks like I'm even slower at noticing . Much appreciated