Vulcan 70s camo XM655 Late Entry

robvulcan

Hi guys im so very sorry for my lateness here in replying to posts and entering my own model.

As some of you may already be aware i have had many personal problems this year that are still ongoing and others occuring including the kidnapp of a friend of mine and her children now thankfully resolved plus deaths in the family and people diognosed with terminal illnesses.

so i will be catching up and i have not had chance to build a single model this year apart from a 1/144 tornado on new years. so i intend to restart the new year with a model of my local and much loved vulcan xm655

i am a mapas member and i really should get my rear down there to work on the real one.

so i hope you will forgive me im v force nuts as most of you will also know and do not want to miss this build especially as im part running it. not been doing a very good job have i but you all seem to be getting on just fine without me which is what i would expect with so many amazing modellers on here. so please give me a KUTA as i intend to make more than just this vulcan.

I successfully missed tomcat gb, hunter gb though i had a go and failed, i dont want to miss vc10 gb but looks like i might if i cant throw one together oob, and i am really hoping i dont miss this.

its rather ironic that i now work in a model shop and now have had no time to make any models myself lol.

no photos yet but i do have a vulcan and im hoping to maybe get some intake bits however id sooner learn how to get smooth intakes with all the complex curves i have never give it much thought then i have been lazy with some of my vulcans.

i wish you all well,

this vulcan will be brush painted too.

update soon not sure if ill do this gear down for once as you know i like mine flying.

cheers rob

Edited by robvulcan

Don't worry about it Rob...with a year like that it's quite understandable that modelling isn't high on your list of priorities!, even though you may want it to be, (as for completing a model just extend the deadline). Mind you I find it's an excellent way of taking your mind off things..................

Brush painting a 1/72nd Vulcan..............what all of it!!... :analintruder:

Melchie...

Don't worry about it Rob...with a year like that it's quite understandable that modelling isn't high on your list of priorities!, even though you may want it to be, (as for completing a model just extend the deadline). Mind you I find it's an excellent way of taking your mind off things..................

Brush painting a 1/72nd Vulcan..............what all of it!!... :analintruder:

Melchie...

Hi there Andy its a very long time since we had a good chat now and its very welcome to hear from you, yep i will be brush painting it. its a therapy thing and also airbrush comp dead and i havent got the money for a new one. plus brushing gave me great results on my last vulcan xm648 see here.

and yes it does take your mind off things and sometimes gives you something else to swear at ahah.

build thread = http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=80209

finished = http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...topic=234908751

im particularly proud of this vulcan she looks great to me at least

Hi Rob, it sounds like you have been going through it lately. I'm glad things are looking a bit brighter for you. Welcome back to the workbench.

hi there mate thanks for the kind words. yes i have been going through it a bit but im surrviving on a joking side maybe im just suffering withdrawl from lack of polystyrene cement fumes. AHhhhhh

I intend to do xm655 and possibly a few other vulcans.

silver b1 does take my fancy quite alot,

cheers rob

Hi Rob,

Has been a while hasn't it!...glad to hear you're back,

[quote I'm particularly proud of this vulcan she looks great to me at least

And so you should be, looks great to me to........lovely finish !

Ah thanks general i am glad you think so, i really tried hard at finding colours that look more real to photos and memory as i have realised that raf planes are rarely the same colour in the camo days and i have found that hu66 is a favourite now.

and i have just i think made a discovery. i have noticed that xm655 and more particularly xh558 seem to have funny grey colour definatly 558 there has been much debate as to the colour used on 558 its definatly not dark sea grey as some think, and its definatly close to medium sea grey however i always noticed she has the abillity to look very blue and almost dark more so since her repaint and only today i picked up my tornado painted in camouflauge grey you know the barley grey with a bit of black in and that looks bang on xtracylics. looks quite dark in gloom but still light and in the sun seems to go quite pale with a blue tinge.

i think in the 1992 days it was medium grey and i dont think camo grey was used then i could be wrong.

however i think it would be a good colour also for 60s vulcans as seeing 60s camo vulcans and 70s camo vulcans next to each other the 60s ones were a bit darker and bluer it seems. i have used hu87 steel grey or blue grey for this.

sorry for boring rant.

and yep she does look nice. (xm648)

Edited by robvulcan

so here it is the real one at wellesbourne this year at the taxi day wings and wheels a great day that i am supprised is not busier and a chance to meet great people like dave thomas and barry masefield to name a few.

here she is seen through the back of my peugeot 306

photo2.jpg

photo1.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo6.jpg

photo7.jpg

photo8.jpg

photo9.jpg

photo11.jpg

Edited by robvulcan

i must be mad i havent even started this one yet and im already getting ideas about doing more, i have a few old lindy vulcans that im thinking of doing a few mods on yes its not accurate but its still quite nice and good for a whiff maybe.

ive just orderd some more of the little dragon vulcans expensive yes but wow what a nice little vulcan kit.

and im thinking of doing another frog vulcan and maybe a few more airfix ones. of course im never gonna get that many done but there are a few more vulcans id like to make.

xh533 first b2 but basically a b1 with b2 wings and a b1 paint job different and beautiful. would look good with the flight path resin tail cone. frieghtdog 200 pipes and small intakes.

a silver b1.

a camo b1a

vx770

and i wont bore you anyfurther with my half asleep wandering mind lol

Hi mike to be fair I have not thought about the deadline much. But I'll ask mush and f111fan about an extension I think that this should be extended to dec or jan 5th judging by people's builds and life getting In the way may also allow us to drum up a bit more activity

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

work has started photos are following much later due to poor net connection so im sorry ive not been on much. in the mean time ive been cracking on and ill be posting my progress up to the finished article enjoy. cheers rob

work started painting the intakes white. and all bits required for build pulled of sprue and put into a bowl.

IMG_0737.jpg

then i fitted the small bombay door triangles into the corners and added the small details such as the door and bombay window to the inside of the lower fuselarge

IMG_0763.jpg

IMG_0763.jpg

then i fitted major components ready for chucking together the tail, tail cone and wings.

IMG_0764.jpg

IMG_0767.jpg

IMG_0769.jpg

IMG_0770.jpg

then i glued the intake halfs together and sprayed the compressor blade faces with dark metalic grey spray from a rattle can and then brush painted them with revell aqua aluminium with windsor and newton flow improver added to stop brush marks and give a smooth level finish

when the intakes were dry i masked them off inside this is scary to do but actually not that bad i had ignored it on other vulcans i have done. not this time. these were small strips applied using too cocktail sticks. at this point i just hoped for no paint bleed later and stuffed the cavity accross with blue tack to stop paint going deep into the intakes and put pressure on the tape to keep it secure.

IMG_0771.jpg

IMG_0772.jpg

IMG_0773.jpg

IMG_0774.jpg

IMG_0778.jpg

IMG_0779.jpg

IMG_0780.jpg

intakes now fitted with compressor faces fitted.

internal structure to support bombay fitted to give streanth and internals around engines exaust and cockpit sprayed on both halfs to make it dark inside. also at this point the bomb aimers window fitted and the cockpit ignored as you cant see it. plus bombay door fitted along with other panels either side of the bombay.

(yea go on tell me im cheating)

IMG_0791.jpg

IMG_0789.jpg

Edited by robvulcan

this is what you have to do to all vulcan wing halfs and fuselage halfs this will stop the wobbly wing thing that so many bemoan of the kit and give a good wing fit without you having to use plasticard and milliput.

IMG_0788.jpg

IMG_0793.jpg

IMG_0794.jpg

IMG_0795.jpg

IMG_0796.jpg

IMG_0799.jpg

tail cone on first and tail second as this gives a better fit if you do it tail first with some kits you may find the cone wont sit right.

IMG_0800.jpg

IMG_0801.jpg

then i build up the insides of the front wheel area as im putting wheels up as per usual.

IMG_0811.jpg

then after the small details were fitted around the engine tunnels and the radar unit betwean on the one side plus the wheel doors fitted. the cockpit and bomaimers windows were masked with pva glue and a cocktail stick then the mass sanding filling and polishing up was done with 1200 wet and dry plus milliput in a few areas not that much though.

then the bottom of the vulcan was sprayed with rattle can hu64 grey then brush painted over with hu166 raf light aircraft grey with 3 coats this had windsor and newton flow improver to keep it smooth and no brush marks. wonderfull stuff.

IMG_0819.jpg

this was then masked off which took a good few hours using tamiya tape and trying my best to keep it equal and allow the camo to wrap around to the underside edges of the wings.

then i sprayed with the wonderfull new hu165 raf medium sea grey the top side this shade seems to be improved over there tins as it has the correct blue hue thats been missing im really impressed by this new shade from the rattle can its bang on.

then i used one of my own home made paint markers using dcc supplies pen kit hu66 olive drab mixed with windsor and newton flow improver and a dash of hu10 brown to get my own shade of raf dark green. as i feel the 163 shade has become more towards ww2 green were in the past the shade was much darker and browner and aimed at more modern shades. i find hu66 or hu66 with a hint of brown comes much closer to some shades used by the raf but if you look at photos i dont think any 2 raf planes were ever the same shades.

i try working from photos to do certain vulcans and i look at the shades and try to emulate the photos its made my collection of vulcans much more lively than if they were all the same and more realistic i guess.

so anyway here is the camo done outlined with the pen and brush painted with the remainder mix of hu66 plus hu10 plus flow improver

IMG_0822.jpg

IMG_0823.jpg

IMG_0824.jpg

IMG_0825.jpg

IMG_0826.jpg

IMG_0827.jpg

IMG_0828.jpg

IMG_0829.jpg

IMG_0830.jpg

IMG_0831.jpg

IMG_0832.jpg

then it was time to pick off the pva glue from the windows mask the engines off paint them silver touch up a few blead areas free hand painted the nose radar thimble black and hu166 grey then decaled the whole thing using the kit deacals and ones from a sheet to get the right type crest of lincoln as there are more than 3 or 4 types and the running dogs. and then applied each one with a puddle of old type klear to suck them down and make them look painted on then i sponged the whole lot over with 3 coats of new type klear to shine it.,

then i sprayed the whole lots with hu49 rattle can matt varnish misting it from a distance. then i applied 2 coats with a sponge of new klear to give it some lustre. and at that its done and here.

IMG_0840.jpg

IMG_0846.jpg

this and more in the completed build section plus xm655 with 6 other camo vulcans

• 2 weeks later...

nope i wouldnt do that, it really does take me about 3 to 5 days working about 8 to 12 hours a day to get a vulcan done start to finish depending on the type and finish, b1a would probs take the longest in camo, b2 in white the easiest. and if i were to got for the record timeing myself it would be xm603 in allover white like she was before they cut her. basically throw a b2 together spray white add roundels leave off black bits and done. in fact should i try and do it before the 2nd.......hmm,....

• 1 month later...

That would be a challenge!!

Mike

Well i am tempted to do 603 i always liked her in the unusual all over white finish minus black parts. i remember there was a time they were hoping to get her flying again but they could not source a 4th engine or something.