Zoomable image of the Martian surface

GordonD

Fascinating image. But what makes me feel sad is that, not content with spoiling our planet and space with junk, we are now littering distant planets with the wreckage of one way ticket craft.

A sort of AMARC on Mars! Wonder when the first B-52 will end up there!

Edited by Paul J

Wonder when the first Google Maps photo van will hit the planet's surface!

When it does, it will be greeting by Martians doing utterly bizarre things just so they can get their fifteen minutes of notoriety. :lol:

Mankind at its very best.

August the 5th pushing the envelope

"Curiosity" will land.

And then maybe ,first contact,even if its a bug,molecule or fossil.

:speak_cool:

Mankind at its very best.

August the 5th pushing the envelope

"Curiosity" will land.

And then maybe ,first contact,even if its a bug,molecule or fossil.

:speak_cool:

A Martian chav, wearing a baseball cap back to front, will stroll up and study the probe. Then it will reach out to the camera and the picture will go black.

• 2 weeks later...

Just had another look. I can just make out what looks like a Tesco shopping trolley behind the rock! And over to the far left just out of shot almost a tail of what apppears to be a P-40.... :innocent::thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
Just had another look. I can just make out what looks like a Tesco shopping trolley behind the rock! And over to the far left just out of shot almost a tail of what apppears to be a P-40.... :innocent::thumbsup:

did you look hard to the left, and magnify

http://moshie.blogspot.com/mars.bmp

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science...ul-landing.html

Rover due to land on Mars early UK time tomorrow morning.

Preliminary reconnaissance confirms an intact B-29 Bomber in a crater close to the intended landing site.

Investigators from the paramilitary wing of the IPMS have indicated the markings on the B-29 are inaccurate.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science...ul-landing.html

Rover due to land on Mars early UK time tomorrow morning.

Preliminary reconnaissance confirms an intact B-29 Bomber in a crater close to the intended landing site.

Investigators from the paramilitary wing of the IPMS have indicated the markings on the B-29 are inaccurate.

The probe is safely down, which I wouldn't have put money on. Film of the control centre here - they look mildly pleased, don't they?

The probe is safely down, which I wouldn't have put money on.

I find the whole thing utterly astonishing. Not only do they come up with a hideously complicated landing sequence which has to work autonomously, but they manage to get it all to work apparently flawlessly.

I don't know who the project manger is, but they're not paying him nearly enough! :lol:

I find the whole thing utterly astonishing. Not only do they come up with a hideously complicated landing sequence which has to work autonomously, but they manage to get it all to work apparently flawlessly.

I don't know who the project manger is, but they're not paying him nearly enough! :lol:

Apparently Gerry Anderson fell about laughing and said the landing sequence was too far-fetched... :)

I was astonished when I saw the simulation of the landing sequence, thought it was going to be a 500metre trail of debris on the Martian surface. Massive credit to them, looking forward to seeing some new images soon.

Apparently Gerry Anderson fell about laughing and said the landing sequence was too far-fetched... :)
That's rich coming from the inventor of Zero-X :rofl:

He didn't really, I just said it for comic effect.

I know! But given the launch and recovery sequence for Zero-X, Gerry Anderson would have made a good risk assessor for NASA! :D

He has come up with some stonkers in his time. I remember the first time I saw a Harrier at an air show: when the pilot went into hover mode and bowed to the crowd, it looked so unbelievable that I was scanning the sky above it, looking for the top edge of the backdrop with Gerry leaning over holding the strings!