How to properly use Humbrol Decal Fix?

Decoman

The instruction for using the Humbrol Decal Fix seem unclear to me and I hope someone can clarify how one is to properly use this product.

Also, does one wet the decal with this Decal Fix solution instead of water?

Is it ok to soak up excessive fluid with a piece of paper towel?

Is it ok to press on the decal with a piece of paper towel or is it supposed to shrink by itself like the Microset/-sol bottle that I have been reading about?

Edited by Decoman
  • Like 1

The instruction for using the Humbrol Decal Fix seem unclear to me and I hope someone can clarify how one is to properly use this product.

Also, does one wet the decal with this Decal Fix solution instead of water?

Is it ok to soak up excessive fluid with a piece of paper towel?

Is it ok to press on the decal with a piece of paper towel or is it supposed to shrink by itself like the Microset/-sol bottle that I have been reading about?

If it works the same as the original Microset/Microsolve

Pre wet the surface the decal is to be fitted onto with decalfix,Apply with soft paintbrush

Trim the decal as tight as possible and then release paper in water as normal

slide decal into positiom on model removing backing paper, immediately soak up excess fluid with the torn edge of a paper tissue, DO NOT RUB or attempt to move, decal is very fragile at this time,and could well disintegrate

Decal should pull itself down tight.

If not lightly and rapidly moisten the decal surface with microsolve and leave to dry.

Rex

Edited by emlra

• 2 weeks later...

Having fiddled with this product when working on a model recently, I have learned the following:

1) The substance in the bottle works nothing like the Microsol product from what I can tell, as I have not observed any event of self-deforming of the decal which otherwise would make decals fit better to irregular surfaces.

2) The decals might be more deformable when squeezed, but I am not really convinced of this.

3) The substance in the bottle crystalizes, making it look bad if simply left on the surface of the model.

4) The substance becomes sticky on the fingertips if allowed to dry for a minute or so, possibly leaving marks on the model if you touch it.

5) The substance probably acts as an adhesive to make the decals sit more firmly, so it probably works as advertised.

6) The only use I see of this, is to soak the decal sheet parts with the solvent before sliding the decal onto the dry surface.

7) It seem necessary to use a piece of cloth/paper to squeeze the decal in place and soak up the moisture.

In my case, I had painted the model with matt paint without any clear coat, perhaps helping the substance to look abit messy as I had smeared the stuff on and around the decals after applying them.

I guess I will have to track down a bottle of Microsol one day. I surmise that the Microset product is similar to the Decal Fix product from Humbrol.

Edit: I think I will try using Humbrol Enamel Thinner to see if I can get the effect I am looking for. I think I read about using thinner for this somewhere. *shrugs*

skyumg.jpg

Edited by Decoman

Having fiddled with this product when working on a model recently, I have learned the following:

1) The substance in the bottle works nothing like the Microsol product from what I can tell, as I have not observed any event of self-deforming of the decal which otherwise would make decals fit better to irregular surfaces.

2) The decals might be more deformable when squeezed, but I am not really convinced of this.

3) The substance in the bottle crystalizes, making it look bad if simply left on the surface of the model.

4) The substance becomes sticky on the fingertips if allowed to dry for a minute or so, possibly leaving marks on the model if you touch it.

5) The substance probably acts as an adhesive to make the decals sit more firmly, so it probably works as advertised.

6) The only use I see of this, is to soak the decal sheet parts with the solvent before sliding the decal onto the dry surface.

7) It seem necessary to use a piece of cloth/paper to squeeze the decal in place and soak up the moisture.

In my case, I had painted the model with matt paint without any clear coat, perhaps helping the substance to look abit messy as I had smeared the stuff on and around the decals after applying them.

I guess I will have to track down a bottle of Microsol one day. I surmise that the Microset product is similar to the Decal Fix product from Humbrol.

Edit: I think I will try using Humbrol Enamel Thinner to see if I can get the effect I am looking for. I think I read about using thinner for this somewhere. *shrugs*

skyumg.jpg

Unfortunately Humbrol have 2 Decal fixes..! the one you show is the old type ..been around for years and is useless....the new one comes in a larger bottle a £5.99 retail and does work Humbrol link...Yes I know it is confusing,I would have thought somebody would have come up with another name ...or even "New and Improved" as a rebrand ... :doh:

Regards Trevor .... :D

• 2 weeks later...

i would not bother with humbrol decal fix as in my expierence using it it does the complete opposite to what its supposed to.....try micro set / micro sol instead [have not tried it myself but it cant be any worse than humbrol decal fix....humbrol decal fix is,imo,nothing more than an expensive jar of water