Boeing B-17G

Hello,

here's a current project from my workbench - it's the 1/72 Revell Boeing B-17G built out of the box with only minor modifications (added decal setabelts).

Before the fuselage halves are closed (and most of the interior will never be seen again) I decided to get some pictures taken.

I used a build article from Scale Aircraft Modeller International as reference.

Thanks to Mr. Wolfgang Rabel from my local hobby store for taking the pics!

Here's the busy cockpit:

a_DSC6005.jpg

a_DSC6011.jpg

a_DSC6013.jpg

a_DSC6012.jpg

This is the bomb bay.

I've added side plates to resemble aluminium sheets covering the wing roots.

The yellow stripes on the bombs are painted on.

a_DSC6010.jpg

a_DSC6006.jpg

Sperry Ball turret with ammunition feed mechanism - a novelity in this scale.

a_DSC6008.jpg

a_DSC6015.jpg

Navigators office.

Interior colour Gunze H58 (Interior Green).

Wooden floor: Humbrol 110 with brown artist oils dry brushed.

Black rubber matting on the floor.

a_DSC6009.jpg

a_DSC6007.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Cheers from Vienna

Roman Schilhart

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I am slowly making progress on this build - it was delayed due to a crash landing on the floor with some interior parts becoming loose.

Had to re-open the fuselage halves and glue everything back together.

Here's work on the engines:

_DSC7556.jpg

_DSC7555.jpg

Model primed with Tamiya White (out of the rattle can), yellow parts painted with Gunze/Mr.Hobby acrylics.

_DSC7559.jpg

All the panel lines under the yellow coat were pre-shaded, you can't see much of it on this picture - white/yellow is quite difficult to photograph.

Next step is to paint all olive drab sections (rudders, anti-glare panels on the engines) followed by the grey wing undersides.

Then a coat of gloss black will be sprayed on in preparation for the Alclad metal finish I'm trying to achieve.

_DSC7561.jpg

• 1 month later...

Alclad only works well with flawless surface preparation - due to the highly reflective type of paint, every scratch and dust will be visible.

On this picture, you can see the streaks of the airbrush in airflow direction.

It takes a couple of runs to cover the surface, spraying lightly and cloudy.

Some very small sinkmarks on the trailing edges are visible as well (they weren't before...)

a_DSC9387.jpg

Edited by Roman Schilhart

Prepearing to put on another run at the work desk of my Hobby Shop in Vienna.

They have more space there than I have in my closet ....

A_DSC9374.jpg

Not yet satisfied with the surface: it still looks 'rough' in some spots and requires additional sanding with fine grit paper (8000-12000)

a_DSC9383.jpg

Will add more of this after polishing up the surface.

Colours used will be Polished Aluminium, White Aluminium, Dark Aluminium, Airframe Aluminium and Matt Aluminium to achieve a "patchy" appearance often seen on B-17s at war.

A_DSC9372.jpg

Sneak preview:

Worn off paint on the left outer wing, which had been replaced on this particular machine from an olive-drab camoflaged airplane.

I dipped a brush in Vaseline creme, covered some spots, then overpainted with Gunze H53 Olive Drab and finally removed the paint, as it doesn't stick to the greasy spots covered with creme.

The decal is from Revell's kit, I cut it up for 'torn' look and overmisted with highly diluted H53 Olive Drab.

Will show the full wing later - I didn't want to remove all masking before Alclad is applied all over.

a_DSC9389.jpg

Let me guess... Bit O'Lace?

Great progress so far - this is one of my favourite aircraft so will watch with great interest.

There's some great colour images of her here: http://www.bates-r-us.org/abitolace/

Just one thing if I may... I don't think the anti-dazzle area in front of the cockpit is actually yellow, it's actually just very faded olive drab - faded to an almost light tan colour. This was common on high-time aircraft that were bleached in the sun. The same anti-dazzle panels were present on the inboard surfaces of the engines too - but oil and exhaust stains turned these a murky brown colour.

I hope you don't mind me pointing that out...

Tom

• 5 months later...