1/48 Harrier GR.7, ZG479, Op Telic, 2003.

Thanks Mish. I'm just about to start the painting but have a question...

What colour are the wheel bays and the airbrake well? Hasegawa call out for medium sea grey (same colour they call out for the undersides of the whole jet) while the out rigger wheel bays and all the landing gear are white. Is this correct?

Dave

I'm here Dave!

U/C bays are white with lots of dirt! The Airbrake bay is I think the same colour as the undersides, at least it is for the MSG jets, I have to admit I'm not 100% sure for the DSG/DCG jets, I think the airfix 1/72 kit instructions say white...

I'll double check when I get home

I'm here Dave!

U/C bays are white with lots of dirt! The Airbrake bay is I think the same colour as the undersides, at least it is for the MSG jets, I have to admit I'm not 100% sure for the DSG/DCG jets, I think the airfix 1/72 kit instructions say white...

I'll double check when I get home

Great, thanks Phil. I'll spray the lot grey and see what's what. When the gear goes in, not much of the fuselage bays can be seen anyway. The white landing gear legs cover them up, and they are definitely white!

Dave

Sorry I think you miss understood the undercarridge bays are white, it's only the airbrake bay that I'm not sure about. You're right though, unless you open the nose gear bay, you can't see much as the kit is! Outriggers are the only obvious bits. If you haven't done so I would suggest fitting the outrigger doors before you paint, as the demarkation between white and underside colour isnt that obvious off the kit!

Phil

More to show today. The jet itself is off for priming so here she is before that stage:

IMG_2929.jpg

IMG_2930.jpg

Moved on and painted most of the sub assemblies. Weapons first:

IMG_2925.jpg

Just need to add decals to the BL755's and AIM-9's and give the TIALD pod a panel line wash. The Aires resin exhausts were next (lovely addition these- highly recommended!):

IMG_2926.jpg

Followed by the FOD guards:

IMG_2927.jpg

And finally the resin ejection seat:

IMG_2928.jpg

That's it for the moment.. Will hopefully have the majority of painting done by the weekend.

More to come.

Dave

• Like 1

Sorry I think you miss understood the undercarridge bays are white, it's only the airbrake bay that I'm not sure about. You're right though, unless you open the nose gear bay, you can't see much as the kit is! Outriggers are the only obvious bits. If you haven't done so I would suggest fitting the outrigger doors before you paint, as the demarkation between white and underside colour isnt that obvious off the kit!

Phil

No no i understood Phil! I'm just leaving the 2 small locating points for the main landing gear grey, but the outriggers and bay aft of the front wheel will be white!

I've her primed up so i'll just leave the outriggers off until final assembly.

Dave

Not much of an update today but the paint is on:

IMG_2945.jpg

IMG_2946.jpg

IMG_2947.jpg

Quite hard to make out the de-marcation lines. I used Tamiya AS-10 Ocean grey for the undersides, front fuselage and tail then used Model Master Gunship grey for the upper surfaces. Think it's quite a good match to my reference pictures.

Next up is to paint the wheel bays and add some details before glossing and getting a panel line wash on.

More to come.

Dave

Edited by DaveJL
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After a brief delay, i've some more progress to show. Kit was glossed in preparation for decals, and without further ado:

IMG_2986_zpsb7645a86.jpg

IMG_2987_zps181773ef.jpg

IMG_2988_zpsafcdbfde.jpg

Weapons also decaled and fuel tanks glossed:

IMG_2989_zps2b79f03f.jpg

After sealing the decals in and letting them dry for a few hours, i applied a coat of Flory models wash to highlight the panel lines.

On:

IMG_2990_zps82acbbf9.jpg

IMG_2991_zpsc480478f.jpg

And off again after 30 minutes:

IMG_2992_zps25b16dbc.jpg

IMG_2993_zps2c61e7b7.jpg

IMG_2994_zpsa63d44bd.jpg

Will hopefully get a flat coat on this evening then the next stage is to start adding the detail parts.

More to come.

Dave

• Like 1

Great work Dave! Hate to say it though but I'm pretty sure the LID dam bay should be same colour as the underside, not white (that's the bay just in front of gun pod). If you don't want to repaint just filthy it up a lot, they get really messy anyway!

Ah bugger, I thought it was white! A quick spray will sort it out.

Dave

A bit more to show today. Matt coat went was applied on Thursday so today i was able to start adding all the little bits, starting with the landing gear and doors, along with the exhausts and TIALD pod:

IMG_3010_zps01ae7958.jpg

You can probably see some of the heavy(ish) weathering I have applied to the undersides, with more to be done. Once all that was dry, I added the FOD covers (to which i added thin strips of masking tape to replicate the black 'pulls' on the real thing), the various antennae and the extended refuelling probe:

IMG_3006_zpscd503def.jpg

IMG_3007_zpsb974d88b.jpg

IMG_3009_zps5f635ff6.jpg

Ejection seat also went in. Finally for today, i sanded away the mould seam on the canopy with micromesh, starting with the 3200 grit working all the way up to 12000. After the canopy was polished, I added the Flying Leathernecks det cord. Despite mine being slightly lopsided, this is a great addition to any Harrier kit, and so easy to apply. You firstly remove the excess vinyl around the det cord, then place the clear applicator tape on it to remove it from the backing, place it onto the canopy, press down and remove the tape. Job done!

IMG_3005_zps55895f2f.jpg

Next up is to add all the ordnance, canopy and give it a final tidy up.

More to come.

Dave

Edited by DaveJL
  • Like 1

Managed to get this finished off earlier today. The finished build is in the gallery and RFI here

Have to say, despite my early calamities with things cracking and not fitting, I enjoyed building this Iconic jet, so much so that I might be tempted to get another one and an AV-8B!

Thanks to all who followed and commented. I hope I've done this great jet the justice it deserves, and, as the title of the GB says, it is dedictated to all those who flew it and those whom it helped on the ground. Help our Heroes.

Onward to Build 2...

Dave

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...