1/48 Revell B-17G

Hello all,

For my second entry for this GB, I will be having a pop at the old Revell Monogram 1/48 B-17G which I picked up at RIAT:

IMG_2504.jpg

IMG_2505.jpg

A good sturdy box and great instructions! Undecided on aftermarket at the moment as the detail looks great, as do the decals. I think i'll add the True Details resin Bombardier set as you can see a good bit of this through the nose glazing, Eduard mask and either resin or brass .50cal barrels for the weapons. Other than that, don't think i'll need much!

Dave

Ordered some aftermarket for this today. Not going crazy as a lot of it can't be seen and the interior detail is actually fairly good. However, I have ordered resin .50cal barrels, resin wheels, new decals and a paint mask. Apart from that, she's ready to go!

Dave

I will be watching this one closely.

Maybee I have to invest into the older models (B-17, B-24, etc) from Monogram again and take the challenge. The last one I have done besides the

B-26 was 20 years ago. So time to get some new ones.

I will be watching this one closely.

Maybee I have to invest into the older models (B-17, B-24, etc) from Monogram again and take the challenge. The last one I have done besides the

B-26 was 20 years ago. So time to get some new ones.

Thanks mate. I'm tempted to get the B-24J myself. They look to be a nice range of kits, despite their age.

Dave

• 1 month later...

B-1B for the CAS group build is coming along nicely so i'll be starting this at the weekend hopefully. Ordered some aftermarket, but haven't gone crazy, as a lot of the stuff i'd planned to buy was for the interior and won't be seen.

IMG_2758.jpg

Resin wheels, gun barrels and new decals. Will be marking it as 'Hikin' For Home' of the 322BS, 91BG based at Bassingbourn in early 1945.

Here she is with her crew: Hikin for home

I've definitely got the 'big bomber' bug at the minute. Besides my 1/48 B-1B and B-17, i have 2x 1/72 B-52's to build (one being a refurb) and plan to get my mits on the 1/48 B-58, B-29, B-24 and hopefully a 1/48 Lancaster and 1/72 B-2. Also need a new house to store them! :lol:

Dave

Made a start on this today. Delayed as I was missing a sprue from the kit, but some fantastic service from Creative Models ensured that the correct sprue found it's way to me!

Interior was built up without fuss:

7851429498_bea4f1262d_c.jpg

IMG_2826 by davelyall1, on Flickr

7851427714_d908b5d5e2_c.jpg

IMG_2827 by davelyall1, on Flickr

7851426136_339b8b6fbf_c.jpg

IMG_2828 by davelyall1, on Flickr

Some great detail on this 37 year old kit! (Monogram had the date of the mould on the wings :lol: )

Once dry, i gave it a spray with interior green (note the camera makes it look overly green. It is darker than portrayed)

7851419836_13474f654c_c.jpg

IMG_2831 by davelyall1, on Flickr

7851417602_5712f4bdb3_c.jpg

IMG_2832 by davelyall1, on Flickr

Just need to pick out the details and weather it. The wings and horizontal stabilisers were also built:

7851424786_f46661d9fb_c.jpg

IMG_2829 by davelyall1, on Flickr

7851422552_4d14367841_c.jpg

IMG_2830 by davelyall1, on Flickr

Next up is to finish the interior, give it a bit of weathering, add all the windows etc and get the working parts of the .50cals installed.(I'm using using resin barrels so this stage should be easy!)

More to come.

Dave

Edited by DaveJL

Good bit done today. Detailed all of the interior, despite most of it being invisible when the fuselage is closed up!

IMG_2882.jpg

Cockpit section and my 'home-made' map for the navigators table:

IMG_2883.jpg

Fuselage detail:

IMG_2884.jpg

IMG_2885.jpg

Note the necessary windows and forward .50cals have been installed. Interior sections were attached next:

IMG_2889.jpg

Then the fuselage closed up:

IMG_2891.jpg

Next up is to add the rest of the windows, mask them off and attach the wings.

More to come.

Dave

Small bit of progress to report. I was unhappy with the fit of the fuselage so took it apart. Mainly, there was a 'step' on the underside, that stretched from the chin turret to the ball turret. I quickly found that the problem was caused by the bomb rack on the inside of the fuselage so that was quickly removed. Closed the fuselage up again with no problems.

IMG_2910.jpg

Also note the horizontal stabilisers have been attached. Next, i added the engines to the wings:

IMG_2909.jpg

Next up is to clean up any join lines on the fuselage and add the rest of the glazing.

Dave

Looking good sofar.

I just bought last weekend the 1/48 Monogram B-24 D and J at a modellers carbootsale from the club. These also are looking lovely. I was tempted to start one right away but I have some projects to finish for SMW at Telford. Now I just need to get hold of a B-17G from Monogram/Revell.

The shows have now started again after the summer, so finding one will be no problem.

Cheers,

Looking good sofar.

I just bought last weekend the 1/48 Monogram B-24 D and J at a modellers carbootsale from the club. These also are looking lovely. I was tempted to start one right away but I have some projects to finish for SMW at Telford. Now I just need to get hold of a B-17G from Monogram/Revell.

The shows have now started again after the summer, so finding one will be no problem.

Cheers,

It is a very nice kit. I plan to add the B-24J myself and hopefully a B-29. Might also get a B-58 :lol:

Dave

• Like 1