1/48 Revell B-17G

Very nice dave! After looking at yours I got inspired but I didn't manage to score one at the weekend but I am still trying.

I can't wait to see it with it's decals on.

Cheers,

Very nice dave! After looking at yours I got inspired but I didn't manage to score one at the weekend but I am still trying.

I can't wait to see it with it's decals on.

Cheers,

Thanks Arnold. Check back later, should have the decals on!

Dave

The build really has come together today. First thing i did was to add the decals. The 'stars 'n bars' and stencils are from the kit with the rest from the Kitsworld sheet. Once they had set, i gave a quick spray of flat varnish. Inadvertently, this got mixed with some standing water on the paint work and initially I thought i had a disaster on my hands. However, the two seemed to have mixed to give a very nice and effective weathering look in certain areas!

Also attached all the glazing and .50cals, except for the twin tail guns. Note here that the waist gunners windows are not a good fit.

IMG_2955.jpg

IMG_2953.jpg

IMG_2953.jpg

IMG_2954.jpg

IMG_2959.jpg

IMG_2961.jpg

For the weathering, i used tamiya pigment but i was struggling to replicate the really greasy looking stains found around the engines and superchargers. So i dampened the areas that needed seeing to then rubbed the pigment in before removing the excess with a finger. The result is streaky looking oil stains, particularly around the cowlings.

Next up is to add the props, tail guns and tidy up a few bits and pieces.

More to come.

Dave

Edited by DaveJL

Very nice! I've got one in my stash as I've been meaning to build for some time.. Your work makes me really eager to start!

Thanks mate. You really should bring it out of the stash, it's a lovely kit, a bit rough in one or two areas, but generally great!

Dave

The B-17 is my favourite all time aircraft and this looks good!

One query if I may... the First Air Division (which the 91st BG was in) painted not only the vertical fin insignia red, but the stabilisers (minus the elevators) and the wing tips red too... or have I missed something?

Looking forward to seeing this finished... you can never get enough B-17s!!!

Edited by tomprobert

The B-17 is my favourite all time aircraft and this looks good!

One query if I may... the First Air Division (which the 91st BG was in) painted not only the vertical fin insignia red, but the stabilisers (minus the elevators) and the wing tips red too... or have I missed something?

Looking forward to seeing this finished... you can never get enough B-17s!!!

Thanks mate. I'm not sure on the other red parts you mention. I'm going solely on the decal guide and the Mike Grant placement sheet for the same aircraft too.

If you can find any pics of Hikin for home with the red tips and stabilizers, please let me know and I'll correct!

Dave

Managed to get this one completed today. The finished article is here

Have to say I really enjoyed this kit, no fuss, no hassle. A bit rough in a few areas, on my part and a few ill fitting pieces, but still a great kit of a great plane!

Thanks to all to followed and commented.

Dave

Thanks mate. I'm not sure on the other red parts you mention. I'm going solely on the decal guide and the Mike Grant placement sheet for the same aircraft too.

If you can find any pics of Hikin for home with the red tips and stabilizers, please let me know and I'll correct!

Dave

I stand corrected! I found a couple of pictures and you're spot on - only red on the vertical fin.

I wonder if she was in an interim scheme when the pictures, and hence your decal guide, were taken? Nearly every other 91stBG B-17 in pictures have the red wing tips and stabilisers - it seems 'Hikin for Home' was an exception to the rule. You learn something every day!

And by the way - you've done a wonderful job on this model.

There's a few conflicting reports on it...some have said the wings and stabilisers were painted, but near the end of the war and that the cowlings were white. I purely went on my decal placement guide. Looks close enough :lol:

Dave

• 3 weeks later...