Tamiya 1/48 Bf109E-3

Greetings. This is my Tamiya Bf109E3, a lovely kit to build, and the first kit I've done where I haven't used one of the kit schemes.

DSCF2183-003.jpg

I started building this before I'd settled on a scheme, but in the end I decided to do this one:

Bf109E3_JG53_1-001.jpg

from http://www.clavework-graphics.co.uk/aircra...f109e3_013.html

I don't know of any photographic evidence to back this scheme up, but I chose it for several reasons. I couldn't find an E3 that I wanted to use any of the box markings for, so I thought of JG53 & their 'red band of shame'. This profile is of Hans-Jürgen von Cramon-Taubadel, Geschwaderkommodore of JG53 in 1940. The well known story is that Major von Cramon-Taubadel was married to the not-quite-aryan enough Viola von Kaufmann-Asse, and this caused trouble when Goering discovered this fact during the Battle of France. Fat Hermann decreed that as a punishment JG53 should remove their 'Pik As' emblem and instead carry a red band around the cowling. Later, in protest, pilots of JG53 would remove the hakenkreuz from their tails, but this scheme is from before August 1940 when the markings remain. There is a build thread here http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...topic=234917482

The cockpit was tarted up with some lionroar seatbelts, the rest is OOB. The Geschwaderkommodore staffel markings were masked with frisket, they are a bit wonky but not bad for a first effort I think.

DSCF2139.jpg

DSCF2134.jpg

DSCF2156.jpg

DSCF2135.jpg

DSCF2142.jpg

DSCF2160.jpg

DSCF2161.jpg

DSCF2149.jpg

I've got some monofilament fishing line for the antenna, but I've managed to mislay it. I'll do that later,as I thought I'd best get these pictures taken whilst the sun is shining here!

cheers

Chris

Very nice work Chris. Excellent quality of finish and enjoyed reading a little history behind those markings.

Hi chris. Nice job !

I have used a product called EZline for the antennae. Easy to work with and very flexible so that it doesn't get knocked off 20 times during the build. Heartily recommend it and as its flexible, it always looks taught.

Thanks for the comments guys. I don't know if I'll bother trying to rivet the next kit I do, it was a lot of effort and the result wasn't bad, but it didn't exactly set my pulse racing either. Don, I've been inspired by another user and think I may try using human hair if I can steal one ask my wife to donate one!

Chris

Edited by cheeley

Superb Chris, super mottling & very nice & clean, theres a lot to like about it. Wasn't that scheme worn while one of the units in France was under some sort of censure for something their boss had done, sorry a bit hazy about the details?

Probably shouldn't say it either but we've just had approaching a week of perfect weather down here, no shortage of sun, even though hard frosts in the morning, just ask the local office if you've any doubts :tease:

Steve.

Superb Chris, super mottling & very nice & clean, theres a lot to like about it. Wasn't that scheme worn while one of the units in France was under some sort of censure for something their boss had done, sorry a bit hazy about the details?

Steve.

There was somethning going on politically. I read that becaue of this 'dispute' or something, the CO had all the swastikas painted out from the fins. But his lordship Hermann Goering threatened reprisals and so the emblems were put back up. Like yourself am a bit vague on more exact details but I read this in the Osprey Me190E Aces book.

Edited by Paul J

• 2 weeks later...