Lancaster MK.VI Conversion from Revell Kit

Cracking progress Jason, your not hanging around with this are you?

Si.

Thank you, Si! I can't hang around; my attention span is so short with models that I have to strike whilst the iron is hot! When I make a model, the goal is to use my initial enthusiasm to get me to around the 90% (95% if I'm lucky) finished stage, then I can put the model away for three or four years (at least; some have patiently waited a decade or more), then finally finish it. Of course, that's not really my goal, but it does seem to work out that way much of the time. Hopefully, since this build is in the limelight, so to speak, I'll be more motivated to actually get it finished in a reasonable amount of time. We'll see. I've actually got the wings and tailplanes on, so at least it really looks like a model now. I have a feeling that fairing in the inner cowlings into the kit nacelles is going to be struggle. However, onward and upward!

Regards,

Jason

Jason,

Interesting conversion of an unusual subject..... :speak_cool:

you can see I'm not just obsessed with VVS subjects.

Why not combine the two passions - VVS and Lancasters - and do a VVS Lancaster......

Lancph07.jpg

As you can see - I did it gazillions of years ago - so an update using the Revell or Hasegawa Lancs might be interesting....

The full build - and background story - are here.

Here's a better pic - showing how big the Pe-8 is by comparison....

pe-8_01.jpg

Ken

Jason,

Interesting conversion of an unusual subject..... :speak_cool:

Why not combine the two passions - VVS and Lancasters - and do a VVS Lancaster......

Lancph07.jpg

As you can see - I did it gazillions of years ago - so an update using the Revell or Hasegawa Lancs might be interesting....

The full build - and background story - are here.

Here's a better pic - showing how big the Pe-8 is by comparison....

pe-8_01.jpg

Ken

Are you kidding, Ken? I have a copy of that article I printed out when it was first posted - I have it with my other Lancaster material. That's one I definitely want to do. Wow, the Pe-8 is enormous - that is one bolshoi samolyot! That Pe-8 (Zvezda, I presume, which I have) looks great in the three-colour scheme. Another one I need to build. Brilliant work on both, by the way, and thank you for the link! Glad you like the conversion.

Regards,

Jason

P.S. I am still working on my scratchbuilt Il-102 - I figure if I do it slowly enough, maybe somebody, Amodel?, will come out with it.

Below are some more piccies. First I have some photographs of the tail surfaces, then the model put together without the fins, then with the fins. As Lou Moran ([sir] Richard Attenborough) said to Frank Townes (Jimmy Stewart) in The Flight of the Phoenix, "You know Frank, it's really starting to look like something".

Regards,

Jason

Stabiliser.jpg

FinInterior.jpg

WholePlanefromPortWithoutFins.jpg

WholePlanefromPortwithFinsAttached.jpg

WholePlanefromStarboardwithFinsAttached.jpg

Edited by Learstang

Some more - these are of the engine cowlings and nacelles. I think I made the starboard outer cowling a little more in line with the inboard cowling than I'd had it originally (I pulled it off, then re-glued it). Obviously some filling, sanding, and rescribing still needs to be done. I'm also responsible for the out-sized rivets; I'd made them larger as I assumed I'd eventually have sanded down some of the originals to nothingness. I'll have to tone some of those down a bit, but I'll wait after all the initial filling and sanding is done for that to occur.

Regards,

Jason

DetailofPortEngines.jpg

DetailofStarboardEngines.jpg

UndersidesDetailofStarboardEngines.jpg

UndersidesDetailofPortEngines.jpg

CIMG0192.jpg

Edited by Learstang

IIRC there was an article in SAM or SAMI several years ago about this conversion using the Airfix or Hasegawa kit and Paragon resin parts.

An article by Ian Day was in the Vol 20 No 12 issue and used the Tamiya Lancaster and Paragon parts. It is an extremely good article - just about a one-stop reference on the MkVI.

It may be the 'source' of the light blue roundel theory - he replaced the crap Tamiya decals with a variety of codes and roundels and paint. PM me your email address if you want a scan.

Hi

Good job the article is still about as the kit isn't. He bounced it down the stairs and it didn't bounce. Had to laugh really (it's one of those mate things, why commiserate when you can laugh) even if Lancs are my favourite a/c.

Regards

Paul

Hi

Good job the article is still about as the kit isn't. He bounced it down the stairs and it didn't bounce. Had to laugh really (it's one of those mate things, why commiserate when you can laugh) even if Lancs are my favourite a/c.

Regards

Paul

Ouch! Too bad about the Lanc! I've just PM'ed Ed about the article; the model is gone but the article lives on. For anyone reading this (and even for those who aren't), I have a rather shot in the dark request; a company called "Kits at War" (still around - I looked at their website), used to have a Lancaster sheet which had the markings, including the yellow stripes on the fin, for the very Mk.VI I'm building. If anyone has one, I'd be willing to pay a reasonable sum for it (reasonable to be determined after further communication). Any help in this Quixotic quest is appreciated. I found a scan of it on the Internet and have downloaded it, so I can work from that if need be, but I'd rather have the original decal sheet if at all possible. I've sent Kits at War an e-mail, but I thought I'd pursue this route as well.

Regards,

Jason

Hi

funny you should ask as I have that sheet and would be willing to let you have them. For nowt, hows that for a Yorkshireman. Who said we were tight? PM me your address and I'll pop them in the post Monday,

Regards

Paul

This sanding and making things fit, cutting and adjusting really does impress me.

I stick to what I know I can do which is why I usually only attempt well engineered kits so any filling and adjusting is minimal which is why I enjoy builds like yours.

One day I may do a conversion project, untill then I'll cover my stuff with lights and clockwork!!

Nice going Jason, looking forward to more pics.

Si.

This sanding and making things fit, cutting and adjusting really does impress me.

I stick to what I know I can do which is why I usually only attempt well engineered kits so any filling and adjusting is minimal which is why I enjoy builds like yours.

One day I may do a conversion project, untill then I'll cover my stuff with lights and clockwork!!

Nice going Jason, looking forward to more pics.

Si.

Cheers for the compliment, Si! Frankly, I think what you've done with the AM Il-2 is remarkable stuff - out of my league! As an avid VVS modellers, who's had to deal with many Central and Eastern European kits, I'm used to doing quite a bit of sanding and filling. It doesn't really bother me; at this point I expect it. And if the fit on the kit is too good, I'll just think of some nice conversion to make things more interesting!

Regards,

Jason

This is interesting. I've learned something with this topic. I never knew there was a Lancaster MkVI. And the model is looking good.

Christof.

This is interesting. I've learned something with this topic. I never knew there was a Lancaster MkVI. And the model is looking good.

Christof.

Thank you, Christof! Hopefully I'll actually finish it. It is an interesting variant. I've always rather liked the Bomber Command ECM/RCM aeroplanes, and this is one of the most unusual. I'd also like to do a 100 Group Fortress IV, and a 101 Squadron Lancaster with the "Cigar" aerials (two large antennae topsides on the fuselage and one on the undersides of the nose). This last would be very interesting, as I could do it with the rather rare Rose turret with the 50 calibre machine guns (not to be confused with the FN 82 turret, which also featured two 50 calibre guns).

Regards,

Jason

Some more progress (a little, at any rate)! The bomb bay is now affixed, and I've started fairing in the inboard cowlings into the kit nacelles. Paul (Honeybee) was nice enough to send me the codes and those tricky tail stripes for this Mk.VI so I don't have that as an excuse not to finish this. I've marked in black circles where I need to do some more work regarding the filling - I do this for myself so I don't forget. I'm using three different types of "filler"; super-glue to fair the nose turret blank into the nose of the model, regular polystyrene glue to fill in any gaps in the plastic fuselage (I've already done this on the wings), and Mr. Surfacer 500 to fair the cowlings into the kit nacelles. Because Mr. Surfacer is rather thin, I'm having to do this in layers; I trust it will work. We'll see. At any rate, less talk, and more pictures.

Regards,

Jason

FilleronInboardPortNacelle.jpg

FilleronInboardStarboardNacelle.jpg

DorsalTurretPosition.jpg

FilleronAftBombBay.jpg

FilleronFrontUndersides.jpg

How's the project coming Jason?

I've slowed a bit recently due to getting an actual paid job plus its a bit warm here at the moment!

Si.

Edited by Dr.Jellyfingers

How's the project coming Jason?

I've slowed a bit recently due to getting an actual paid job plus its a bit warm here at the moment!

Si.

Congrats on the job, Si! Well, I'm still plugging ahead, slowly if not so surely. I've reached that fascinating point in every build where I'm filling and sanding, filling and sanding. Fairing in the inboard cowlings to the kit nacelles is proving to be the b****r I thought it would be. I've also started work again on an He-111 I'd put aside (Eastern Front, of course), so the two are now vying for my attention (if only if it were that way with women!). I look forward to seeing more work on your workshop. If you take a butcher's at my little website, I've posted my review of the Tamiya Il-2 and comparison with the AM kit. The Tamiya kit wins, but I still think the AM kit's a fine kit.

Best Regards,

Jason

• 7 months later...

At long last I've finally succumbed to the siren call of my unfinished Lancaster. The Mr. Surfacer was a little too runny for fairing in the nacelles, so I've resorted to Tamiya White Putty, which has a more solid consistency. Very good stuff, and it builds ups nicely and is easily sanded. I've actually done quite a bit to sand the nacelles in, and I think it may be time for priming to see where I stand (or am sinking). Before with this kit, it was vying with my He-111, now it's vying for my attention with a Liberator GR.V conversion (see, I really don't just do VVS aeroplanes). However, I think the priming will give me an incentive to fix all the spots that need a-fixin'. Below are photographs of the unprimed work (I've since done some more work on these nacelles, so they look a little better than below).

CIMG0264_zps4456517f.jpg

CIMG0265_zps4cccc65a.jpg

CIMG0266_zps4f064150.jpg

CIMG0267_zps49c98e57.jpg

CIMG0268_zpsec13c9b6.jpg

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 1

Glad to see you bashing plastic again !

Cheers

Dennis

Glad to be bashing again, Den! I always like priming conversion jobs like this. It all sort of comes together and quits looking quite so much like Frankenstein's monster. It'll also give me a chance to see where I've gotten it right, and where I've gone horribly wrong.

Regards,

Jason