Classic Airframes Anson

What a superb model and in a fantastic scheme too, you must be very proud indeed,

Cheers for sharing it with us,

Tony O

What a superb model and in a fantastic scheme too, you must be very proud indeed,

Cheers for sharing it with us,

Tony O

Please John can you tell more about this particular aircraft?

Patric

Hi Patric,

this aircraft was delivered to the Air Corp in 1938 and went into service with No 1 Reconnaissance and Mediun Bombing Squadron

It entered service in the marking of my model but in late 1938 this scheme was replaced by a disruptive scheme of dark green

and dark earth,with matt black under surfaces

It was unfortunately written-off in a crash at Rineanna aerodrome on June 1st 1945.

She was an early MK 1

The light green was,I am told,called Bredon green which I eyeballed and the .

rest silver dope

Not sure exactly what you were looking for but get back to me on it ,if you want.

Cheers John.

John

That's a lovely job!

I hear the Classic Airframes kit is a bit of a beast. Did you find it so?

Also - what paints did you use?

Thanks,

Philip

Thanks Philip,

yes it is a bit of a beast and not for the faint hearted.

the green started off as RAF Interior grey/green.I bought every green in that range and just played with it until I got the colour I had in my head.

Cheers John.

Edited by JOHN W

Hi Patric,

this aircraft was delivered to the Air Corp in 1938 and went into service with No 1 Reconnaissance and Mediun Bombing Squadron

It entered service in the marking of my model but in late 1938 this scheme was replaced by a disruptive scheme of dark green

and dark earth,with matt black under surfaces

It was unfortunately written-off in a crash at Rineanna aerodrome on June 1st 1945.

She was an early MK 1

The light green was,I am told,called Bredon green which I eyeballed and the .

rest silver dope

Not sure exactly what you were looking for but get back to me on it ,if you want.

Cheers John.

Thank you John for these explanation.

As I have a Special Hobby 1/72 ANson in my big stash I think this scheme could be very eyecatching to build. I have already built a Seafire in that colours and at the time I used Xtracolor dark slate grey which is given in FS number close to the RAF light green.

Patrick

Thank you John for these explanation.

As I have a Special Hobby 1/72 ANson in my big stash I think this scheme could be very eyecatching to build. I have already built a Seafire in that colours and at the time I used Xtracolor dark slate grey which is given in FS number close to the RAF light green.

Patrick

Patrick

That kit by Special Hobby in 1/72nd (which I have done) comes in two versions - late and early. For the type you see above (aircraft nos. 19 - 22), you need to go for the early one (the difference is the slope of the windscreen). The later one (with the steeper sloped windscreen) (for nos 41-45) only had the more standard RAF type dark earth/dark green camo version of the Anson when used in Irish Air Corps service. You can see the details in the excellent book by Joe Maxwell and P J Cummins: "The Irish Air Corps: An Illustrated guide" (ISBN 978-0-9562624-0-0) published in May 2009 (pages 52 - 56).

Best of luck with the Special Hobby kit - watch out for the fact that the transparency (which includes the windscreen and the roof of the passenger compartment) is wider than the main fuselage, if the latter is fitted as per instructions. I had to use spacers to widen the fuselage to accommodate the transparencies. The wings are also wrong, with panel lines where none existed, but these can easily be filled. However, the Special Hobby kit is still way better than the venerable Airfix fit, which has serious shape problems in the upper fuselage area (as well as inaccuracies on the wings, poorly done cowlings etc).

I'd love to see your Seafire in IAC colours - why not put up a post showing it? (if not here, then on http://www.ipmsireland.com/forum/ - or maybe both?)

Philip

Edited by Prenton

Patrick

That kit by Special Hobby in 1/72nd (which I have done) comes in two versions - late and early. For the type you see above (aircraft nos. 19 - 22), you need to go for the early one (the difference is the slope of the windscreen). The later one (with the steeper sloped windscreen) (for nos 41-45) only had the more standard RAF type dark earth/dark green camo version of the Anson when used in Irish Air Corps service. You can see the details in the excellent book by Joe Maxwell and P J Cummins: "The Irish Air Corps: An Illustrated guide" (ISBN 978-0-9562624-0-0) published in May 2009 (pages 52 - 56).

Best of luck with the Special Hobby kit - watch out for the fact that the transparency (which includes the windscreen and the roof of the passenger compartment) is wider than the main fuselage, if the latter is fitted as per instructions. I had to use spacers to widen the fuselage to accommodate the transparencies. The wings are also wrong, with panel lines where none existed, but these can easily be filled. However, the Special Hobby kit is still way better than the venerable Airfix fit, which has serious shape problems in the upper fuselage area (as well as inaccuracies on the wings, poorly done cowlings etc).

I'd love to see your Seafire in IAC colours - why not put up a post showing it? (if not here, then on http://www.ipmsireland.com/forum/ - or maybe both?)

Philip

Hi Philip,

I have the Airfix kit wiyh the Flightpath correction set for the last 17 years in my stash and take it down a few times every year to flirt with it but ultimately it ends up back in the attic, would you advise that I scrap the plan and just get the aforementioned Special Hobby one?

Gerry

Hi Philip,

I have the Airfix kit wiyh the Flightpath correction set for the last 17 years in my stash and take it down a few times every year to flirt with it but ultimately it ends up back in the attic, would you advise that I scrap the plan and just get the aforementioned Special Hobby one?

Gerry

Gerry

I think that the Special Hobby one is much better in terms of detail - full resin interior, undercarriage details, better guns, much better turret etc - than the Airfix one. I'm not sure what the Flightpath correction set has, though - maybe it's more detailed? The main problem with the Airfix one is that the l/h fuselage roof area is warped, significantly, so that it is almost impossible to get it to lie down straight in line with the r/h side, and in line with the windscreen/canopy and the transparencies in the roof. There was a Falcon vac-form canopy, which provided the full top of the cokpit and roof in one item, which cures that aspect of the Airfix kit, but I'm not sure if it is still in production. Maybe the Flightpath set fixes this also??

The other problems with the Airfix kit are the wings, which have an exaggerated "fabric" effect, the wrong length of ailerons for the type of windscreen (late windscreen with early ailerons, I recall), crude work on the front of the fuselage, and an absolutely awful mould line on the engine nacelles that is very difficult to remove without damaging the teardrop shaped projections on the cowlings.

Overall, if you have the money (it's about three times the price), I'd go for the Special Hobby job in 1/72nd. However, if you add the flighpath set and/or the Falcon, then pricewise, they are about even, I'd say, in which case go Czech.

It would be really great if Airfix got around to doing a "new tool" Anson Mk 1 at some stage - I'm sure it would sell very well.

Of course the holy grail for those of us in 1/72nd is the Anson C. 19/XIX, which is - so far as I understand - only kitted out in a long deleted Aeroclub vacform and plastic/metal kit. The IAC Museum at Baldonnel has a preserved example of the 19/XIX, which would be a marvellous one to do for us IAC fans. Now if Airfix did THAT, I'd be certainly raiding the piggy bank!

Cheers,

Philip

Edited by Prenton