Spitfire PR.XI question

Scott Hemsley

I'm currently looking into a future build for a 400 Sqn. PR.XI and I wondered if anyone would have photos/drawings of the instrument panel showing the additional instrumentation for operation of the cameras. I've seen a photo (through a closed canopy) that clearly showed some kind of a panel where the gunsight would normally be located, but the angle was such that 'detail' was missing.

Scott

I'm currently looking into a future build for a 400 Sqn. PR.XI and I wondered if anyone would have photos/drawings of the instrument panel showing the additional instrumentation for operation of the cameras. I've seen a photo (through a closed canopy) that clearly showed some kind of a panel where the gunsight would normally be located, but the angle was such that 'detail' was missing.

Scott

Hi Scott,

If you e-mail me (via profile) I will send you the relevant pages from the AP showing cockpit layout for camera control unit and camera selector unit. I would post them here but not sure how to imbed images.

Best Regards

Andy Fletcher

Hi Scott

Just one thing I would check is that on many of the war time PR Spits the camera control box was Black. I have seen this in a number of photos and I have been in contact over the years with a number of PR pilots who have said they remember them as black.

Richard

Hi Scott

Just one thing I would check is that on many of the war time PR Spits the camera control box was Black. I have seen this in a number of photos and I have been in contact over the years with a number of PR pilots who have said they remember them as black.

Richard

The photo that started it all, is a colour shot of 400 Sqn. on one of the captured airfields they called 'home' during the Spring of '45 and the aircraft in the forefront clearly had a 'silver' camera control box visible through the closed cockpit. That's what caught my attention in the first place. But thanks for the 'cautionary advice'.

Scott

Edited by Scott Hemsley