are there photos of Charles E. Brown taking photos?

elger

There is a photo (or more) of him armed with a camera, but not "in the act", and some info in Camera Above the Clouds Vol.3 and perhaps the other volumes. I can have a look later today if nobody does it in the meantime.

bob

Hello,

I was wondering if there are photos in existence of Charles E. Brown at work. What sort of camera did he use for example?

Elger

yes, there are eg in the introductory chapter (pp. 7-14) of "Camera Above The Clouds" Vol 1 (Ed Anthony Harold, Airlife, 1983) which is all about him. To answer your question, he used a large-format Zeiss Palmos with a 6" Taylor Hobson helical focus lens except when covering 2 ATAF in Europe, where he used a 35mm Zeiss Contax purchased in 1935. I get the idea from the text that he had already purchased the Palmos by the time WW1 broke out in 1914 (and he was about 18).

Hello,

I was wondering if there are photos in existence of Charles E. Brown at work. What sort of camera did he use for example?

Elger

Hello,

A Zeiss Palmos with 6in Taylor Hobson was mainly used for the B&W work.For Kodachrome work it was a Zeiss Contax ( 1935 ).

There is few photos of CE Brown at work ( just like many photographers - Irving Penn ) but somes existing ( the SBAC 1953 freighter session for instance..).

It is interresting to know that later british photographer such as Cyril Peckham or Russell Adams design their own camera to fit "Jet" session.. ( see Peckham/ Wray )

To me there is NO better aircraft photographer in the 20 th century than british. What a school !! : CE Brown, Peckham, Adams, Sims, Culern, etc..... Only Dornier and Ryan can match in the game.

Olivier