color of the bar on the spitfire access panel

yoyoal

Hi Ho!

As I understand it they were painted the same colour as the cockpit (Int green). Only warbirds have red ones! Although I am waiting to be corrected...!

HTH

Christian the Married

I would not rule out Interior Green completely but dull natural metal is correct and a safe bet for a wartime model. No emergency tools were actually painted in bright colours before 1947 (if memory serves me right).

... and IIRC, didn't Edgar advise that there shouldn't be a bar at all on a BoB Spit.???

I think he said they were not fitted until after the Battle.... but I can't remember the details.

No doubt he'll be along soon.... to confirm or correct..... :worthy:

Ken

paint it red just to wind up the nit pickers ;)

Buzz off Matt ^_^

Go with bare metal or Cockpit Green for wartime,red for post war and "modern" Spits.

Correct Ken(Flankerman),no crowbars or spring clips to hold'em on B of B Spits.

Provision for the crowbar was supplied in February, 1941, then a means of jettisoning the hood was introduced in August, which made the crowbar "surplus," until the new Martin-Baker hood jettison gear was introduced in April 1942, so, in preparation presumably, the crowbar reappeared in January 1942. Eyewitnesses have said natural steel, or (sometimes) Army bronze green, but never heard of interior green or red.

Edgar

Edited by Edgar

Hey Edgar, your diet has worked wonders since I last saw you!!

I used to use Harry Secombe's "Eat what you like, don't swallow," but I forgot the "don't swallow" bit.

Many years ago, when I were a lad, I worked beside a guy who flew Spits. I remember asking him about the crowbar and he said they always called it 'the dinghy slasher' because, according to him, the dinghy's sometimes started inflating and would end up shoving the stick forward so they used 'the dinghy slasher to burst it. No idea if this was a 'tale' or if it was reality, especially as I don't know where the dinghy was stored.

Thanks Edgar! I thought it would have to be around there somewhere! Verifies what he said then. As to colour, he said 'it was about the same as that', pointing to a very old, dark spanner. So, looks like very dark NM for me then.