A wee postcard to Mr Tamiya

D1fuN0

Good afternoon chaps and chapesses

I was thinking of saving up my pennies and buying a nice plain postcard and a few pretty stamps and sending it to Mr Tamiya in Japan....

herewith, (shortenened version) is what it will say....

Dear Mr Tamiya

PLEASE CAN YOU STOP F*&^%G MAKING ENDLESS VERSIONS OF THE 1/12th SCALE YAMAHA YZR M1's.....

Good god man, we have 10 versions already, possibly move on to something else now?

Seriously, I have 10 versions in my stash....

Kit no's 14098,100,104,105,114,115,116,117, 119.... and that doesnt include all the YZR 500's...

New direction.... possibly.....PLEASE!!!................

Steve

Nowt we can do about it! :shrug:

maybe if you stopped buying them as they came out, they might stop doing more? Just a suggestion...

Nowt we can do about it! :shrug:

maybe if you stopped buying them as they came out, they might stop doing more? Just a suggestion...

Ha

SWMBO kinda said the same thing, if you stop buying them then they wont make them...

I tried to explain that im busy collecting all the Tamiya Bikes, and that I only have about 30 to go before i have the whole lot, but she just looked at me as if i was daft and walked off.

This, I might add, is her fault. She MADE me give up my 1:1 bike (yes yes, i know), citing some arb reasons about kids without a dad, broken husbands aren't much fun to play with etc etc, so i just HAVE to build wee bikes to stem the pain/longing/desire's etc...

oooh look... Tamiya's newest release in 1/12th is... (answers on a postcard please)

Steve

I tried to explain that im busy collecting all the Tamiya Bikes, and that I only have about 30 to go before i have the whole lot, but she just looked at me as if i was daft and walked off.

Steve

I feel your pain Steve. I was close to having all of Tamiya's 1/20 car kits until they not only decided to actually some make new kits after about a 5 year break but also to hike the price to about half a tank of petrol!

Keep going though. You'll wear them down in the end. ;)

:lol: oh well... stuck between a rock and a crazy place as usual ^_^

Typical modeller

Typical wife

Typical modelling situation

? modelling is an addiction or an insanity - discuss

mind you Mad Steve post did brighten up my afternoon and for than I am in his debt

mind you Mad Steve post did brighten up my afternoon and for than I am in his debt

Woohoo.... I at least made one person smile....

Modelling an addiction or an insanity???

Well... An addiction of sorts i suppose, because we will always want more. no matter how many kits we have, we'll always buy more, and dont say you dont, we all know, we all have the 'official stash' which is on display to SWMBO, and the 'secret' stash (because you just cannot be arsed to explain why a few bits of plastic cost about the same as your monthly food bill.) :)

You may possibly have a 'deep secret stash', those unmentionable kits that cost about as much as one of your kids do and they just are not for public viewing( read, wife)

And insanity...

Most definately. (possibly may upset a few people here, apologies in advance)

I see modelling as many different spheres, ranging from the average bloke who makes models in whatever spare time he has, to the Ubermodellers, you know who I mean, the guys that, when you see what they produce, you wonder why you even bother :)

Im happy in my bubble, the average bloke, enjoying his modelling, and trying to make it fit in with 2 teenage girls, 2 border collies and my beautiful SWMBO ( I could have mentioned my beautiful gleaming Triumph Trophy here too, but seeing as i was strongarmed into selling it......).

I couldnt give a rats bum if your paint is 35% too light, if theres 357 rivets instead of 359, or if you've painted a Tiger Tank pink, with Hello Kitty Decals, and blue tracks. you made it mate, you enjoyed it, and thats what matters most to me. So, the insanity i believe is on a sliding scale, from just a tad wonky, to a full blown absolute nutbag that counts rivets in his sleep and can quote the FS colour code by heart :)

But hey, no matter how addicted or insane you are, build what YOU want, how YOU want, whatever way YOU want....

Oh, and i mustn't forget to mention that i love my SWMBO very much and will buy her a nice present, sorry nice expensive present. (yes, the sneaky cow was behind me reading over my shoulder.....

Deep secret stash, meeeeee my love, never....... :pray:

Steve

Woohoo.... I at least made one person smile....

Modelling an addiction or an insanity???

Well... An addiction of sorts i suppose, because we will always want more. no matter how many kits we have, we'll always buy more, and dont say you dont, we all know, we all have the 'official stash' which is on display to SWMBO, and the 'secret' stash (because you just cannot be arsed to explain why a few bits of plastic cost about the same as your monthly food bill.) :)

You may possibly have a 'deep secret stash', those unmentionable kits that cost about as much as one of your kids do and they just are not for public viewing( read, wife)

And insanity...

Most definately. (possibly may upset a few people here, apologies in advance)

I see modelling as many different spheres, ranging from the average bloke who makes models in whatever spare time he has, to the Ubermodellers, you know who I mean, the guys that, when you see what they produce, you wonder why you even bother :)

Im happy in my bubble, the average bloke, enjoying his modelling, and trying to make it fit in with 2 teenage girls, 2 border collies and my beautiful SWMBO ( I could have mentioned my beautiful gleaming Triumph Trophy here too, but seeing as i was strongarmed into selling it......).

I couldnt give a rats bum if your paint is 35% too light, if theres 357 rivets instead of 359, or if you've painted a Tiger Tank pink, with Hello Kitty Decals, and blue tracks. you made it mate, you enjoyed it, and thats what matters most to me. So, the insanity i believe is on a sliding scale, from just a tad wonky, to a full blown absolute nutbag that counts rivets in his sleep and can quote the FS colour code by heart :)

But hey, no matter how addicted or insane you are, build what YOU want, how YOU want, whatever way YOU want....

Oh, and i mustn't forget to mention that i love my SWMBO very much and will buy her a nice present, sorry nice expensive present. (yes, the sneaky cow was behind me reading over my shoulder.....

Deep secret stash, meeeeee my love, never....... :pray:

Steve

Well, that's one of the more sensible posts I've read on here recently....!!! :D

And when you write to him Steve, as well as the quattro, would you ask Mr. T. to re-release the Sierra Cosworth please (preferably at the same price as when it first came out!)

Keef

Well, that's one of the more sensible posts I've read on here recently....!!! :D

And when you write to him Steve, as well as the quattro, would you ask Mr. T. to re-release the Sierra Cosworth please (preferably at the same price as when it first came out!)

Keef

oooooh yes keef....

I bought the Black Texaco cossie maaaaaaany moons ago from Beatties and it was like 3 quid or something daft....

I still have it, still haven't built it.

(Yes i know, the shame, the shame....)

Steve

Good afternoon chaps and chapesses

I was thinking of saving up my pennies and buying a nice plain postcard and a few pretty stamps and sending it to Mr Tamiya in Japan....

herewith, (shortenened version) is what it will say....

Dear Mr Tamiya

PLEASE CAN YOU STOP F*&^%G MAKING ENDLESS VERSIONS OF THE 1/12th SCALE YAMAHA YZR M1's.....

Good god man, we have 10 versions already, possibly move on to something else now?

Seriously, I have 10 versions in my stash....

Kit no's 14098,100,104,105,114,115,116,117, 119.... and that doesnt include all the YZR 500's...

New direction.... possibly.....PLEASE!!!................

Steve

Hi Steve, know what you mean, I gave up after the two Anniversary Yami's. I nice Ducati would look good amongst he others, too long since we had one and you'd have thought with Vali pushing it down the road Tamiya would have jumped at it as it would have sold a shed (container) load.

Then not to mention another classic like the Honda, maybe a nice Sizuki or an MV Agusta, Norton......

Come on Tamiya san take your head out of the fire bucket and produce something new in the bike range.

Oh and whilst you're at it bring the price down!!!!

Colin on the Africa Station

Hi Steve, know what you mean, I gave up after the two Anniversary Yami's. I nice Ducati would look good amongst he others, too long since we had one and you'd have thought with Vali pushing it down the road Tamiya would have jumped at it as it would have sold a shed (container) load.

Then not to mention another classic like the Honda, maybe a nice Sizuki or an MV Agusta, Norton......

Come on Tamiya san take your head out of the fire bucket and produce something new in the bike range.

Oh and whilst you're at it bring the price down!!!!

Yeah, I know, the Honda RC166 is going for over R600 now, Thats just getting a bit out of hand...

There were rumours just a while back that the big T was about to launch a whole new bunch of bikes, new mouldings of new bikes, and the rumour keeps popping up.

Nothing really mention on the site, or in the mag. Rather than reissue the old stuff, get some new stuff out, and cheaper :)

Have you tried one of the Hasagawa bikes Colin, they are very nice....

Steve

Hi Steve. Yeh, but that's a road bike it doesn't really count, we can have one of those anytime. Haven't seen one of the Hasegawa bike kits in the flash just the pics on Hiro Boy. As you say R600 for the Honda and that's without the chain kits etc!!!

I have an article somewhere which was printed in IPMS USA Journal a few years back, Mr Tamiya, who's real name escapes me at present, says he is the last in the line to be producing injection moulded kits. When he is gone it'll be RC and very little else!!!!! I'll try and find the article and get his correct name.

Maybe than if we address him correctly we may just get somewhere.

Hi Steve. Yeh, but that's a road bike it doesn't really count, we can have one of those anytime. Haven't seen one of the Hasegawa bike kits in the flash just the pics on Hiro Boy. As you say R600 for the Honda and that's without the chain kits etc!!!

I have an article somewhere which was printed in IPMS USA Journal a few years back, Mr Tamiya, who's real name escapes me at present, says he is the last in the line to be producing injection moulded kits. When he is gone it'll be RC and very little else!!!!! I'll try and find the article and get his correct name.

Maybe than if we address him correctly we may just get somewhere.

Hi Colin

Yeah, i had heard about that from one of my collecty type friends and i think it a shame, Tamiya kits are iconic...

Ill dig out my Hasagawa Yoshimura GSX and take some photos. Damn nice kits.

Steve

Tamiya do seem to be lacking imagination.

As for prices, in the last 5 years the Yen has doubled in strength against the Pound. Add in the increase in oil cost which has a bearing on the price of plastic and shipping...

Oh, how I yen for a pound!

I had understood rte the oil price but not the Yen-Pound rate, that certainly brings it home. With an exchange rate like that you might want to slash somebodies wrists. Not your own as you would be off modelling for a while.

Got to be both an adicition and insanity, in that we are addicted to buy what is new and insane for paying the prices. Plus we have the cheek to complain afterwards!

PS Steve, you al set for a day of MotoGP? I'm off to warm up the telly.

Oh, how I yen for a pound!

I had understood rte the oil price but not the Yen-Pound rate, that certainly brings it home. With an exchange rate like that you might want to slash somebodies wrists. Not your own as you would be off modelling for a while.

Got to be both an adicition and insanity, in that we are addicted to buy what is new and insane for paying the prices. Plus we have the cheek to complain afterwards!

PS Steve, you al set for a day of MotoGP? I'm off to warm up the telly.

Yeaaaah Colin, got my daily fix watching the Grand Prix and Moto GP. I really miss the old days of bike racing, The Honda, Yammie and Suzuki 500's and especially the TT, (I rode my bike round the TT 'Curcuit' once.... sigh).

Ive been trying to avoid the Yen prices ordering through Australia, liiiiitle bit cheaper, and for some reason faster from Aus to joburg than from Japan, and dont even mention UK posting, it takes anything upto 6 weeks.

Steve

and dont even mention UK posting, it takes anything upto 6 weeks.

Steve

Blimey! We use Royal Mail International Signed For for all post to ZA. From the feedback we get 2-3 weeks is usual.

Blimey! We use Royal Mail International Signed For for all post to ZA. From the feedback we get 2-3 weeks is usual.

I do agree, Tamiya are lacking in imagination in the 1/12th bike department. All that seems to be happening is all the old stuff is being re released, which is great, cant wait for the NXR750 and BMW Paris Dakar bikes again.

But....

Have a troll around evilbay, and all the other ebuy sites, no one has anything but the current range to sell, you used to be able to get basically any Tamiya bike on ebay.

Oh, did see an NXR on US ebay, for USD 65... oh and the Yamaha YZR 500 (14001) the first bike, for USD 110... crazy.

Oh and the post thing, yes, it does take 2-3 weeks to get post from the UK to SA. but then another 3 weeks before the post office gives it too you! (not the most efficient in the world...)

Steve

And then they charge you 50 Bucks for holding on to it. In the PO it's called a handling charge! Aren't the PO supposed to handle the post? I hope they don't hold onto my two Wessex kits for 2/3 weeks, I need them like last week!

PS, Steve another good days bike racing on Sunday.

And then they charge you 50 Bucks for holding on to it. In the PO it's called a handling charge! Aren't the PO supposed to handle the post? I hope they don't hold onto my two Wessex kits for 2/3 weeks, I need them like last week!

PS, Steve another good days bike racing on Sunday.

Hiya Colin

Yeah, our PO up this side has been on strike the last month odd, and they have a backlog from april onwards to clear.

Funny thing, I ordered a PE set from Australia, it got here in 3 weeks, no problem. Ordered a similar set from the UK, its still not here. Explain this to the Post Office personel... its because England is Overseas im told. Huh, fancy that.

And the racing colin, any day that that italian faggot doesn't win, is a good day of racing :evil_laugh:

But it was a good day, that silly plonker fell of like one lap from the end, but a good race.

Steve

Hi Steve, Congrats re the new sprog (baby) I'm sure you are both very chuffed. Your going to have to watch this children thing all of a sudden you'll be running out of cash for kits!

Luckily our mail seems to come through Cape Town, it's just that coming from your end seems to be affected. Fancy the UKk and Oz being overseas, reminds me to check if my atlas is up to date!

Re Mr Stoner's falling off, as Ayerton Senna said "if your'e going to crash do it on the first lap, no point in wasting a race'! Yep very good racing all round.

Hi Steve, Congrats re the new sprog (baby) I'm sure you are both very chuffed. Your going to have to watch this children thing all of a sudden you'll be running out of cash for kits!

Luckily our mail seems to come through Cape Town, it's just that coming from your end seems to be affected. Fancy the UKk and Oz being overseas, reminds me to check if my atlas is up to date!

Re Mr Stoner's falling off, as Ayerton Senna said "if your'e going to crash do it on the first lap, no point in wasting a race'! Yep very good racing all round.

Thanks Colin

One of those, oops, guess what? moments :S

Well, the other two alien girl things that live there, (Camp Commandant- daughter 1(12) & Political Officer-daughter 2(10)) gave us the full treatment about how irresponsible we were not planning another child and how can we have kids at our age... (ha!), and how did this happen( i proceeded with, well mummy and daddy were upstairs in bed......, then they squealed and ran away, always works.) they showed there disdain about as much as a 10 and 12 year old can... but they really are chuffed and so am I.

Yes, im sure the new baby will suck the cash (and life) out of us both, but i think i might just have enough kits to keep me going for a while ;)

steve

• 3 months later...

Quite a number of years ago I can remember reading in some modelling magazine or other a full blown article about something named 'Methuen Values'. Basically it was all about how much to tone authentic colours down to look right according to a given scale. This went on and on for pages! NERDY OR WHAT!