Annuver Ork Bommer

Ullo, Mekboy Wingnutz 'ere! Da boyz sed we should show you our bommer, coz it'z ded killy an' stuff.

7493334540_5520366219_c.jpg

(Klik for bigga)

We like da uvver orks' bommerz and we wanted wun too. But we fort da Mekboyz at Gamez Workshop woz a bit dim becoz dey forgets to add any landin' stuff. I tol' da boyz dat an' dey sed "Wot'z landin', boss?" So I klipped 'em round the ear proper like so's dey wud listen, and ex-planed (oo big wurd) dat it is basic'ly da same as crashin', only less 'urty. Dey fort dat woz ded good. Not becoz Orks is scared of 'urty fings - we iz ded 'ard - but it iz also ded 'ard to drop all dem bomz on da stoopid oomies wen yor bommer iz crashed up.

So we went an' borrowed Grimzog's trukk wen 'e wasn't lookin' (we put it bak afta - neerly mint con-di-shun) altho we did keep sum of da weelz. Dey goes on unda da bommer so our cunnin' Airboyz can do proper landin's! Plus it make for a good racin' buggy on weekendz unless da grotz forget to take da bomz off. Dat was ded messy dat wun time, but dey not do it again!

We still gots to stik sum ov da fiddly bitz on, an' paint it RED. Maybe we paint it BROWN an GREEN an YELLOW becoz dey are da colourz of da Drops, an it drop bomz? (Ha ha classik) We not kno yet but we kno it will be ded good!

Cheery-O!

Sorry don't speak Orky, but I was surprised how big this kit is in real life...much bigger than the Space Marines fighter.

It reminds me a bit of a P-47 T'bolt

G

Wingnutz asked me to translate for him for a moment ("I don' kno oomie")... IMO of the three flyers it's by far the best value - large, lots of options, and fun to boot. I'm not convinced by the Space Marine gunship at all, although the Necron Cylon Necron Raider looks more interesting than I expected at first.

It's fun trying to spot the influences on the Bommer because they're different depending on which options you pick - the dive bomber looks like it has Stuka lineage (gull wings, cockpit) whereas the one with the wingtip tanks has (for me) a vaguely Skyraider feel, and the fuselage itself has elements of the MIG 15 (intake splitter, option for high tail) and the Thunderbolt as you point out.

I tried to capture the early jet "heavy tail" sit with the undercarriage (like the MIG or maybe the Ouragan) but didn't tip it as far back as I'd have liked because the nose wheel looked flimsy and un-Orky if I made the mount any higher. Still, at least it can land now - that skid they give you is a bit silly.

Will

Looks good Will. Orky stuff is definitely the fun element of the hobby. TBH the (dive) bomber rules don't seem to really need a landing option- you're going to stoof in most of the time!

Wonder what an Ork parachute would look like?

For that matter, I wonder if the idea of banging out has ever occurred to an Ork? :analintruder:

Cheers! The seat in the bommer looks vaguely like an ejection seat, but when I asked Wingnutz about parachutes he opined that "Floatin' is for sissies! Da orky way iz to drop on top ov sumfink soft an' squishy. Like oomies or dem soppy pointy-ears. Wotch out for dem kaos boyz, dey has too many spiky bitz on top!"

Working on it... I puttied up some joins this afternoon before a massive visitors-are-coming-tidy-fest, hopefully I can prime it tomorrow.

I usually like to spray the basecoat from a rattle can, but all the nice bright Orky colours are in Tamiya's glossy range, and I'd rather it was matte or satin. Maybe I could brush paint it over primer? Not sure what colour to use yet anyway - red or blue are looking good at the moment.

By the way, thanks for the Forge World Masterclass book recommendation in your bommer thread, my local GW had the first and it was so good they tracked down a copy of the second for me as well. Now I want to paint Eldar again :) I hope they do a WHFB equivalent eventually.

Cheers,

Will

By the way, thanks for the Forge World Masterclass book recommendation in your bommer thread, my local GW had the first and it was so good they tracked down a copy of the second for me as well. Now I want to paint Eldar again :) I hope they do a WHFB equivalent eventually.

They are really useful books - I love 'em!

To paint some of my other Ork Vehicles (and the white stripes on my Bomma) I primed black then used a sponge (like the ones you get in a GW blister pack) to dab the colour on - I used the foundation red, not sure what the name would be now they have changed the range. This makes it looks chipped and worn before you have even started weathering your vehicle! Might be worth an experiment on a scrap bit of plastic, see what you think?

That sounds like the kind of thing which I would really enjoy, and I like the result you got. I'll definitely give that a go.

In the meantime I got some primer on (delayed by a day or two because I decided to fill all the slots and notches under the wings - why??) and also had a go at painting the pilot. I'm not much of a minis painter but I do enjoy having a go from time to time. I can't figure out where all the bloody dust is coming from though :(

7539709910_7e6c38188c_c.jpg

(Klik for bigga if you reely must)

7539710610_90302bfdd9_c.jpg

The macro lens I bought a year or so ago is really helping my modelling, and damaging my confidence at the same time :clap2: :clap2: :crying: :crying: I keep doing something one evening and thinking "yay, good work" and then when I take a close-up of it the next day it clearly isn't up to snuff. This kind of painting is right on the edge of what I can see with my reading glasses, maybe it's time to invest in a magnifier or something?

The grot gunner is still WIP - he's quite hard to hold on to being so teeny, and while some folk like to put a spike or something in their minis to paint them (or stick them on a pot) I really like to hold them between thumb and forefinger so I can use both hands in a coordinated fashion. Should have him done today though.

Cheers,

Will

Thanks for the tip, I'll see if my local Jaycar has one. Otherwise Farnell sell some reasonable-looking options.

I've painted the gunner now, I like his face but I need to touch up the arms, goggles, and possibly the fire buttons, where I've interpreted the top of the yoke as the wrong bit.

7540717812_47dfa8b167_c.jpg

Cheers,

Will

Those pics are looking great! I love the effect on the pilot's sunglasses. Good variation in skin tone between the Ork and the Grot too.

I found once I had added the (very thinck) clear parts and weathered them I could barely see my Orky crew, which is annoying!

Looking very good Will, and I understand your comments about the macro photography perfectly! I do love the Ork Bommer model as I captures speed and flight so very well (I'm currently finishing off a Valkyrie which MUST have been modelled on a Hind or some other attack helicopter). Looking forward to progress on this!

And you do yourself a great injustice on your critique of your mini painting skills...

Thanks again, but I know there's a lot to learn on the minis front. It's fun trying though :)

I've done some sponging of browns and oranges to provide a rusty base to the top-coat. I'm not sure yet whether to sponge more paint over the top for the final colour, or try the hair-spray technique and partially remove a sprayed top-coat.

7541801424_917488e406_c.jpg

(Klik for bigga)

7541802182_e3764a4b72_c.jpg

I've not attempted the hairspray method before, although it looks great when other people do it. But I also like the sponging - it provides great small-scale variation in gloss and coverage levels. It seems like it'll be tricky to work it into all the corners though.

Mekboy Wingnutz: "We's ded proud of our nat'rul metal finish!"

Looking great! What you could do is add some colour in select places - red stripes down the fusalage and over the wings, for example - using the sponges, then use some washes to bring out the details in the corners.

I always imagine a grot with the biggest paintbrush he can hold just chucking paint on, it wouldn't be neat!

Another option could be to mask off one or two panels and paint them various colours - perhaps a blue panel with half an ultramarine logo (for example) showing it was salvaged from a battlefield somewhere! Or one camo'd panel or two. That'd look mega orky.

If you decide to go with the hairspray technique, I'd have an experiment on something else first. From what I understand its quite a difficult technique to master - I've done a building or two using it and the results were ok, but you can be a bit rougher with a ruined building lol!

I have found an orky tutoril here, which may help you decide? http://www.the-waaagh.com/forums/?showtopic=48166

Really enjoying watching develop this mate, the more Orks the better! Its getting really hard not to get myself another one of these now...

Thanks for the link, I'd actually found that one in my searching too, it's a nice pictorial demo. I ended up going with the sponges though, since I could do that in front of the telly. I finally decided for a Death Skulls/Deff Skullz/etc. look since I think rust goes well with blue paint (warm/cool thing I think).

7546499134_71b07715da_c.jpg

(Klik for bigga)

The main colour is Fenris Grey, then various GW blues in patches or on different panels. It's going OK, although the surface is perforce very rough:

7546500250_d3fe18e333_c.jpg

The main problem is that you don't get colour deposited in the crevices, so the pattern of wear is sort of the inverse of what it should be. I've been going around with a drybrush to fix that but there's still a way to go. It looks pretty at the moment, but it's more like patinated metal than it is painted metal, if you see what I mean. I think if I did it again I'd paint a solid basecoat of the main colour, then add wear with a sponge to all the edges and panels, then partially cover that with a sponge as I'm doing at the moment.

For decoration I'm thinking I'll have the gun fairings in red, and some white dagz on the wings. I think that'll all be paint since I don't want to varnish and apply decals on the rough surface.

Cheers,

Will

• Thanks 1

Done a bit more on the airframe - filling in shadows and glazing some panels to get a better contrast of colours. Plus I reworked one of the flaps to look like it came from a Bad Moon plane:

7553529336_256e327dbc_c.jpg

(Klik for bigga)

This is my second go a the flap, the first was painted over the rough spongy finish and looked pretty awful. I stripped it all back to primer (half an hour with cotton buds and alcohol) so I could start again from a smooth surface, so that it looks like it came from a much better-maintained bommer. I also had a go at some blended highlights, which are OK but a bit tide-marky, so the whole style of that part is quite different.

Cheers,

Will

great stuff, my son built one of these and went with a reddish sort of splinter camo with added graffiti.

I like how the one kit gives various options and its much more interesting than the marines flyer.

Reminds me a little of a mig or sabre.

Thanks for the kind words, I definitely agree about the early jet heritage. I think the SM gunship would be OK if it was the front of something bigger, but it looks a bit sad on its own.

I did a bit more on the flap, which hopefully still looks like it could have been taken from another plane - I wasn't sure if having the whole pattern on there would read right, or whether it should be a section of flames as though they were across the entire wing. It looks better in the picture than in real life too - more luminous, less muddy :)

7555258860_1c6617405a_c.jpg

(Klik for bigga)

The gun fairings I'm quite happy with and they were dead easy to paint - two thin coats of Mechrite Red, then a black wash. Then I sponged them with a mix of Blood Red and Blazing orange, did a bit of dry brushing with same, and glazed them red to finish off. I really really like the new glazes, they work very well indeed.

I'm now wondering if white markings on the wings would be too much, and I should either omit them entirely, do something small, or use the fuselage or vertical stab somehow? If I striped it as per your (Jonas') one I think that'd look good, but it would involve painting over the flap - good for saying "under new ownership" but maybe too much going on in one corner then?

Cheers,

Will

The different flap looks good but wouldn't be a little more cohernet if it wasn't on it's own? There looks to be a few plates that have been hastily riveted on during it's life, I'd possibly be tempted to colour a few other bits, just to make it look a little more 'wounded'.

Just my opinion of course...

The updates keep on coming - I am in the processes of finally basing mine thanks to you!

Perhaps one or two other panels/plates in different wouldn't go amiss - maybe a little bit of bare metal?

That flap looks really striking as it is. If you are going to go with the stripes on the wing, why not just mask off the yellow flap, add the stripes so they stop where the new flap is - as if hey were there before the new flap? I love the idea of an Ork pilot sneaking into the Bad Moon's cap to nick a flap for his own plane - very suitable for a Death Skull!

Those are good ideas, thanks! I'm going to bring out those little plates that wrap around in different colours (rustier) - at the moment they've got quite a lot of blue on from the sponging which needs to go. But I agree that might not be enough. The red looks good, so I might use that elsewhere, or maybe a black one with checks?

Made good on some of those suggestions - a couple of ex-Goff panels with black checkers, a Deff Skull logo and a bit more colour hither and thither to differentiate things. I also painted in the sharkmouth on the front - well, sort of. I'm not sure if the cream teeth and the white decorations gel together yet, although I like them individually.

7560136250_5799197c5a_c.jpg

(Klik for bigga)

7560136802_4b20a0572d_c.jpg

7560137350_06a9fbb462_c.jpg

The logo came out quite well - I copied (roughly) one of the decals from the kit onto Tamiya tape and sponged through it like a stencil. Had to make it in four bits but that was easy enough, drawing around the left-over middle of the skull to match up the edges of the jaw and horns. The picture is a bit noisy and terrible, sorry:

7560138012_4a3c0f4edd_c.jpg

Just about ready for gloss now, and some enamel weathering.

Cheers,

Will

That logo looks great. Consider the idea stolen for my next one :-p

I'm also a big fan of the black and white checks!

Perhaps just tone down the teeth with some dark grey 'sponging' so it looks like they are chipped and worn?