Annuver Ork Bommer

how do you get the canopy so clear and sharply painted?

I basically did the same as Mike describes here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...st&p=706686

Cut a small piece of Tamiya tape, line up one edge with a glazing bar and stick it down. Burnish the other edges down (rub with a cocktail stick) then cut around them. I used a design knife (short, rigid, straight 45' blade) with a new blade but a scalpel might be better. Then peel up the remains and go on to the next panel. I'd guess it took me about half an hour, and it looked pretty rough (my knife slipped twice) but it painted up OK with a Chaos Black spray and sponged/drybrushed colours. This is my second greenhouse canopy so I didn't take pictures, but the first one I did was the big Stuka:

7253808332_176eac996a_c.jpg

That was definitely a case of jumping in at the deep end!

7253808958_c55e0611e2_c.jpg

It's a bit messier as you can see - I had a set of die-cut masks but only for the outside, and I had to change it a lot (and make some of my own) to make the inside and outside glazing bars properly since the masks assumed they were all on the outside :( The bommer canopy has quite deep mouldings for the bars which make them easier to cut around, the Stuka ones are very flat and you need a softer touch. It turned out OK in the end, I was able to remove the overspray using Tamiya polishing compound, cotton buds and toothpicks. I also lightly polished all the panels:

7277721894_8306a26394_c.jpg

On the Bommer, the clarity isn't my own doing - the clear parts in the kit, though wavy, are nice and clear. I still haven't managed to remove all the tape residue though :(

HTH,

Will

I still haven't managed to remove all the tape residue though :(

Have you tried pulling it up with a fresh piece of masking tape, dabbed on the effected area?

Have you tried pulling it up with a fresh piece of masking tape, dabbed on the effected area?

I'd just done that when I read this, following another post on here somewhere. Works a treat, best tip ever!

Maybe some polishing compound and more practice is the answer ;

I guess it can't hurt. If you can get the Eduard masks for your plane they seem like a good idea but they were harder to fit than I was expecting to be honest.

Another thing I've tried which can work well is to cut two pieces of tape with an acute angle at the end and use them one-on-top-of-the-other to form a sharp corner. You have the risk of leakage but when it works it's really crisp and a bit less scary than cutting the tape in-situ.

I finally got the pigments out yesterday lunchtime and started blobbing a mix of Europe Dust and fixer onto the wheels. I also flicked a bit off the brush to show mud spatter on the underneath.

7696403386_3299f39a20_c.jpg

(Klik for bigga)

it looks like a big mess (and you can't really see what you're doing until it dries, which makes it scarier than it should be) but once it has, it's possible to scrub with a stiff brush (like a stippling brush) to erode the patches and blend them into the surface:

7696404662_752b22f015_c.jpg

I also worked some dark brown and black into the wing surface dry (rubbing with a cotton bud to 'burnish' it) for gun smoke stains. These would be overdone in a scale model but they look OK here:

7696404034_fdae26c2a3_c.jpg

Lastly I attended to a detail which I don't think I've mentioned before, which Mekboy Wingnutz refers to as "Da *uvver* tail pipe" with a significant-looking smirk...

7696405212_9bb584dcf7_c.jpg

7696405840_8479335ba8_c.jpg

Just a few things to finish off now: I need to add some brown into the green goo, and blend some of the spatters on the engine and undercarriage a bit more. I also want to add a bit of pencil lead to some of the metal edges and details. Hopefully I can do that tonight, and take some final pics tomorrow! Bombs still to come but I think it's time to do something else for a bit and come back to them...

Cheers,

Will

Hehehe. I know it's wrong, but it was giggly schoolboy fun to do...

Superb - thanks for sharing the build with us!

• 1 month later...

I wandered all innocent into the sf section tonight and I'm frankly stunned by the quality of work on display, of which this is a prime example. Simply amazing finishing work, I'm in awe!

Steve.

Thanks Steve, I was really pleased how it came out, and the sci-fi-ness is good because you can go to 11 with the weathering and silliness.

I like the idea of relatively sane modellers innocently stumbling into the sci-fi zone :) Like Royston Vasey, "you'll never leave"...

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks, very kind of you. I'd like to make some more GW things after dealing with various unfinished projects, they make it really easy to go to town on weathering and bodging.

W