Correct colour for German SC250 bomb?

Nigel Heath

I am currently making a Revell Fw 190 F-8 in 1/72 scale which carries an SC250 bomb. The instructions specify Revell's matt 45, light olive as its colour which is basically RLM 02 (grey / green). However, most of the images I can find of it on the web appear to be a quite dark green colour. Is it correct to paint it in RLM02 or should I try to match the dark green?

Any help appreciated.

I am currently making a Revell Fw 190 F-8 in 1/72 scale which carries an SC250 bomb. The instructions specify Revell's matt 45, light olive as its colour which is basically RLM 02 (grey / green). However, most of the images I can find of it on the web appear to be a quite dark green colour. Is it correct to paint it in RLM02 or should I try to match the dark green?

Any help appreciated.

Hello Nigel,

The SC 250 was dark green or field grey if fitted with the Stabo device (nose spike). The SC 250 would also usually feature a yellow stripe on the tail assembly and have black or red stencilling.

Cheers,

Daniel.

Not 02. I have a good collection of photos and yet to see true 02. The SC 250 was Dark Gray in color. Over 500Kg they were usually 65 in color, as they were carried externally and would have the same camouflage as the underside of the bomber.

Note in the first picture the light color stripe and painted area by the fins, this is yellow indicating an SC bomb. But the marking was not always applied.

Note, unlike allied bombs, German bombs did not usually have a nose fuse. The Fuse was usually an electrical impact fuse and inserted in the side of the body of the bomb. Suspension was by a single lug, similar to British bombs.

158f0d22.jpg

16d8a3eb.jpg

Edited by Steven Eisenman