Airfix 1/48 Harrier GR3

Still awaiting the mods green flag for this build - so I'll proceed at risk.

Plan is to build this Harrier kit as economically as possible - and still have fun.

Airfix48Harrier001.jpg

Here are the box contents.

Airfix48Harrier002.jpg

This kit cost me 6 quid in 2006. This GB is the perfect excuse to build it.

My plan is to build it in flight on a stand - similar to 2 Sea Harriers that I've built. No additional spend above the paints and glue etc.

I'd like to research a Falklands War plane, but kit options are acceptable if that proves more difficult.

Edited by theplasticsurgeon

Plan is to build this Harrier kit ... and still have fun.

Good luck in that aim. I bought one of these a while ago (drunken ebay impulse). When it arrived

I looked inside and immediately chucked it in the bin. I thought my remaining life is far too short for that

kind of self-inflicted injury. :)

That's not to say that you can't make a masterpiece out of it and have fun though. I will follow your

progress with great interest.

Good luck in that aim. I bought one of these a while ago (drunken ebay impulse). When it arrived

I looked inside and immediately chucked it in the bin. I thought my remaining life is far too short for that

kind of self-inflicted injury. :)

Well with that ringing endorsement of the kit to encourage me - I'll share the two Airfix Sea Harriers that I built in 2006.

First is an FRS1 - probably quite similar to this kit. Build as a Falklands aircraft of 801NAS HMS Invincible.

AirfixSeaHarrierFRS1.jpg

Second an FA2 of 899NAS.

Airfix_SeaHarrierFA2.jpg

For both, I used Nick Greenall's notes - most of which will be applicable to this build.

A fine choice, and as they spent most of their time performing CAS in the Falklands I see no reason why the mods could object!

Are you a sig member? If so there's loads of useful info in the members area, including a timely update to the build notes!

Phil

Introducing the pilot - Squadron Leader Bob Iveson:

Airfix_Harrier_Pilot002.jpg

I've just figured that modifying the kit decals and raiding my spares, I can build this model as XZ988/34

Airfix_Harrier_Pilot001.jpg

This aircraft was shot down over the Falklands - the pilot ejected, evaded the enemy for 3 days, and was rescued by friendlies.

**** Weaponry question. ****

This aircraft was shot down trying to deliver cluster bombs. Any Airfix kit that contains those?

I've got an RAF Buccaneer, Tornados F3 and GR1A, Sea Vixen and leftovers from RN Bucc, Jag, and 2 sea Harriers in my loft - will I find cluster bombs in that lot? And how many would it be loaded with?

Alternately would this aircraft have used SNEB rocket pods during operation Corporate?

Many thanks.

BL755 cluster bombs are in the 1/48 Airfix Jag, so you should find them there!

The rocket pods included in the kit are not the correct type for Falklands, they had to use the RN type as the SNEB pods weren't cleared for the carrier environment

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the weaponry answers Phil.

Speaking of weaponry - OK then sports equipment,

I won my round at an Archery Tournament last weekend, and achieved my first 1st class score on Friday.

Anyway enough excuses on with the modelling.

Intakes fitted and all seams smoothed down:

AirfixHarrier48002.jpg

Hoping to use my Airbrush on this next weekend.

AirfixHarrier48001.jpg

Then off to the Olympics next Monday :partytime:

Oh the perils of interactive TV whilst the Olympics are on.

Archery for most of the day - however this project has progressed/

Day of the airbrush - painted it grey.

Harrier48002.jpg

That's a broken arrow that its mounted on.

And from the other side.

Harrier48.jpg

Looking Good :thumbsup2:

I've just got mine today; looking at the sprues, the fuselage has 'Harrier GR3' stamped on them and the rest of the parts has 'Sea Harrier FRS1' on them. There is also a separate bag with 4x SNEB pods in it. The FRS1 sprues have all of the Sea Eagles missiles on them.

Is this normal, and is that how it came in it's original release form? I'm guessing it is as I'm sure I've read that Airfix used their FRS1 as basis for the GR3 kit.

Karl

Edited by Karl

• 2 weeks later...

Not much modelling progress.

Day after previous post I went to Lord's Cricket ground to watch the Olympic Archery.

Fantastic atmosphere - this is Larry Godfrey from Bristol in action:

OlympicArchery035.jpg

Also I competed my club's tournament last weekend - and won a Gold medal.

However, today I unmasked the canopy.

Harrier48Cockpit-1.jpg