1/48 Revell B-26B Marauder +++FINISHED+++

My entry for this GB & it seems a popular choice smile.png

I will be doing it as 41-31608, "Our Baby", of the 553rd BS, 386th BG flying out of Great Dunmow. The attraction for this was the short-lived but (to my eyes) attractive red border to the stars and bars - I only have one a/c in my collection with those insignia and that is a USN a/c so time to add another.

I won't be re-scribing the kit as 1) I don't have any plans to check accuracy of panel lines 2) I don't have the time (I have a 3-week family holiday slap in the middle of this GB), 3) the raised lined are not that bad and I'll sand them all down to next-to-nothing and 4) the Revell plastic is that rock hard brittle green stuff and that can make even the most careful scribing look rubbish.

Obligatory box shot...

001.jpg

Sprue shots...

002.jpg

Aftermarket - True Details resin wheels, Eduard Zoom p/e for the cockpit, Quickboost .50cal barrels, Squadron vac canopy, Kits-World decals

003.jpg

And finally, the annoying end-opening box...my own top cut out and the ends sealed...job done

004.jpg

Now, back to the PeeBee and the Peashooter

Edited by AndyC
  • Like 1

Good choice for subject matter! I've always liked the looks of the Marauder, and it should look very nice indeed with the red outline Stars and Bars. I've always wanted to do an aircraft with those insignia, but somehow I've never gotten around to it (maybe it's the hundred or more unbuilt kits I have). Good luck on your build, Andy!

Regards,

Jason

Good choice for subject matter! I've always liked the looks of the Marauder, and it should look very nice indeed with the red outline Stars and Bars. I've always wanted to do an aircraft with those insignia, but somehow I've never gotten around to it (maybe it's the hundred or more unbuilt kits I have). Good luck on your build, Andy!

Regards,

Jason

Thanks Jason, I hope to do it justice! At least it will round off my quad of US mediums (A-20, A-26 and B-25) and those red surrounds will look great - a pity they didn't last as an operational insignia

Hi Andy,

Nice to see you at it again. Now we have two of these beasties to watch! See if you can make it look pretty (it always reminds me of a turd with wings!).

Haha! Cheers Don - I've done TEN models for GB's this year so far - it certainly adds a bit of discipline to my modelling! I've got this, the CAS (which may be two entries), Me109, Airliner II, H4H and Interwar GB's to go yet! Anyway how dare you call such a graceful bird a turd? :P

I'll definitely be following this build, hopefully I can pick up some pointers for mine. I've been fondling the plastic tonight and can already see that some of the joints are going to be a b***h. Still where's the fun in doing something easy. Good luck with yours, and great choice in markings, the red outlines really make it stand out.

Rich

I'll definitely be following this build, hopefully I can pick up some pointers for mine. I've been fondling the plastic tonight and can already see that some of the joints are going to be a b***h. Still where's the fun in doing something easy. Good luck with yours, and great choice in markings, the red outlines really make it stand out.

Rich

Rich, check out some of the builds on other sites (Modelling Madness and Hyperscale) they are useful. I think the main issues seem to be the fit of the engines, tail area and underside. These Monogram moulds make great kits but their fit can be a sweetheart sometimes - filler stocked!

Rich, check out some of the builds on other sites (Modelling Madness and Hyperscale) they are useful. I think the main issues seem to be the fit of the engines, tail area and underside. These Monogram moulds make great kits but their fit can be a sweetheart sometimes - filler stocked!

I could instantly see that the tail area was going to be interesting, where the rear wing slots in under the tail is going to take some really precise fitting and then a lot of sanding and filler!

Should be good to compare builds as we go - we can have our own 'Marauder Corner' that no-one else is invited to :analintruder:

Hi Andy,

I am looking forward to this build. With all those goodies I am missing one. The Engines from Quickboost. they are definitly better than the kit ones.

O, and don't forget to put loads of lead in the front of the kit. This is a real tailsitter.

Hi Andy,

I am looking forward to this build. With all those goodies I am missing one. The Engines from Quickboost. they are definitly better than the kit ones.

O, and don't forget to put loads of lead in the front of the kit. This is a real tailsitter.

Hmmm maybe you're right - I had been thinking about getting them but then I remembered the battle I had getting them to fit my Tigercat and I had second thoughts - however I'm 3yrs older and wiser since I did that kit...I'll have a think

Should be good to compare builds as we go - we can have our own 'Marauder Corner' that no-one else is invited to :analintruder:

so thats you and the 357th group any one else want to do the own G/B lol

wellzy :headphones:

so thats you and the 357th group any one else want to do the own G/B lol

wellzy :headphones:

Don't be silly - you're always welcome as GB Mod! :rofl:

Just out of interest, fellow Marauder GB buddy, which wheels and guns did you go for? I notice Hannants have an early and late set of wheels and 2 different sets of guns, my build is a B-26B-55 but I and I'm confused which set I need???

Rich

Just out of interest, fellow Marauder GB buddy, which wheels and guns did you go for? I notice Hannants have an early and late set of wheels and 2 different sets of guns, my build is a B-26B-55 but I and I'm confused which set I need???

Rich

Well mine is a B-26B-15, so an early Block Number and a date of mid 1943, I went for the A/early B type tyres. Yours could conceivably be the later type as a Block 55. I went for the flash suppressors on the rear guns (set 48104).

I need to do some research now because I have just found a potential major error on the decal sheet! Kits World have my a/c as 41-31608 of 386th BG, 553rd BS out of Great Dunmow. I just checked Joe Baugher's website listing and "Our Baby" is listed as being 41-31603 of 319th BG, 437th BS and that she was shot down over Sardinia on June 18th 1943 - that's a long way from Great Dunmow!

I've never usually had a problem with JB's research, which means the decal sheet is wrong. The other a/c on the sheet is correct against Joe's website.

C'mon Andy - less jawin' more buildin'! :lol: I have one in the stash and want to see one being built :)

Yessum, boss (but I can't start until tomorrow - rules and all that, so jawing is all I can do!)! Anyway I've sorted the mystery out :banghead:

One last jaw, Mike! I went on to the 319th BG webaite and their records confirm that "Our Baby" 41-31603 was shot down over Sardinia. I then checked the 386th BG website and...they had a 41-31608 also called "Our Baby" - some coincidence?

So apologies for bad-mouthing the decal sheet - it was right...almost :winkgrin: It says that this a/c flew out of Great Dunmow in early 1944, however 1) it would probably not have had the red surrounds then and 2) the 386th BG website has "Our Baby" crash-landing at Lympne on 26/11/43 and she was written off immediately. So I was sort of right! :tease:

Right I need a lie down :frantic:

Edited by AndyC

Haha! Cheers Don - ... Anyway how dare you call such a graceful bird a turd? :P

I was very careful to say it reminds me of one, not that it was one. But just look at that shape! In olive drab yet! What else could it remind me of?

Are you staying up until midnight to make a start?

I was very careful to say it reminds me of one, not that it was one. But just look at that shape! In olive drab yet! What else could it remind me of?

Are you staying up until midnight to make a start?

OK...excused! No I'm not waiting til midnight, I have just finished my PBJ, I was going to take some pics and post in the RFI but I opened a bottle of wine instead! :cheers:

Hmmm maybe you're right - I had been thinking about getting them but then I remembered the battle I had getting them to fit my Tigercat and I had second thoughts - however I'm 3yrs older and wiser since I did that kit...I'll have a think

The fit is no issue. they just replace the old ones. The only extra you have to do are the push rods and a ignition harness. But they are fab.

The fit is no issue. they just replace the old ones. The only extra you have to do are the push rods and a ignition harness. But they are fab.

Agreed, they are brilliant bits of resin - I will have a scout of Hannants for the engines - I have just noticed they are out of Eduard masks - bugger!

Edited by AndyC

Agreed, they are brilliant bits of resin - I will have a scout of Hannants for the engines - I have just noticed they are out of Eduard masks - bugger!

I've got a set of masks :tease: But seriously if you do want some, there is a set on Ebay at the moment, I wont be without them on a build these days! I think I'm going to get the late wheels, and probably the same gun set as you (just think they look nicer). Glad you cleared up your decal issues. Rich

• 2 weeks later...

Evening!

The bench is a bit clearer now the A-1 is in for priming, so got going on this tonight. Lifecolor FS34151 sprayed in the interior bits - flawless performance by this paint. I'm not bothering doing the bomb bay as I'm going to keep it closed - I may need it for weights! Once that had dried it was time for the Eduard p/e

001-1.jpg

002-1.jpg

003-1.jpg

And after an hour or so of controlled breathing, tiny throttle levers and the occasional curse - she looks OK. I lost the trim wheel despite cutting it off and leaving it somewhere safe :tapedshut:

I then tackled the side walls

004-1.jpg

I also painted the seat cushions and belts, but the camera battery died on me so that is in for re-charge. The remainder of the cockpit and nose area tomorrow, with some wear and tear. Thanks for looking

HI Andy

a while ago a chap posted a few of pics of 'Flak Bait'. Since we have a few folks mumbling about having these in the stash etc etc, I'm going to post this, and I'm really sorry as you just painted your insides....

It seems that martin got special dispensation, and the Marauder was not interior green, a lot was bare metal, the inside of the rear fuselage, the bomb bay was neutral grey, the cockpit had olive drab soundproffing, ... you know, I'll need to go and search Hyperscale....

OK, here

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/thre...Marauderman----

Dana Bell is worth quoting verbatim,[he's written several books an US Camo and markings...I bought one 30 years ago by him!]

Marauder interiors are totally unique in the AAF, all for reasons I don't yet fully understand. Martin had a release to skip most interior primers, something to do with anodizing and a primerless exterior camouflage lacquer. There's certainly more research to be done...

Here's something I posted on RMS in 1998:

"I got curatorial permission to look into "Flak Bait" today - the question of

cockpit colors was too interesting not to try for a definitive answer, at least

for one surviving airframe. Unfortunately, it's not that easy.

"The National Air and Space Museum has the forward fuselage on display - the

rest of the aircraft is in storage until it will be assembled at the Dulles

Center in about five years. What is now downtown is mostly an unpainted

interior with fabric sound-proofing padding. The padding is very faded, with

no proof of the original color. Most of it is now brown or magenta - an

indication that it may have once been Olive Drab. But the metal snaps that

hold the padding in place were painted green - perhaps Dull Dark Green, perhaps

Medium Green, but definitely NOT Bronze Green, OD, or Interior Green.

"In the cockpit, everything above the lower canopy edge is flat black paint, as

are the floor, the armor plating, and the seats. The control columns and

instrument panels are Instrument Black (which is a semi-gloss finish, not a

"crinkle" finish as sometimes published). Seat cushions are yellow. Cockpit

sides are the fabric mentioned above. The bulkhead aft of the seats is

unpainted aluminum, without padding. The bulkhead forward of the co-pilot's

seat actually is metallic blue - probably blue tinted Lionoil which hadn't been

removed in production. (I wish I could prove that this was where the Japanese

learned to make Aotake!)

"In the radio room, the forward bulkhead is unpainted/unpadded, but the fuselage

is the same faded padding all around. The desk tops are varnished wood, and the

flooring is black.

"The bombardier's position is well-padded, with black flooring

"The nose wheel well is lacquered aluminum, with a few fixtures in Zinc Chromate

(yellow).

"I guess everyone can still choose their own cockpit color, but my opinion is

that Dull Dark Green is the most likely color for the cockpit padding. I hope

this helps!"

but other opinions are expressed here

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/thre...nterior+colors-

Lee Kolosna

January 16 2006, 10:33 AM (Login leekol)

HyperScale Forums 129.33.49.251

B-26 production lasted the entire war and there seems to have been some variation depending on model type.

Examinations of "Flak Bait" in the NASM show mostly an unpainted cockpit with fabric batting added to the sides of fuselage to provide noise abatement. This batting was a dark green, probably dyed close to the color Dull Dark Green. The floor has a thin rubber mat, which is a dark gray. The bomb bay is Neutral Gray overall, as are the insides of the bay doors. The rear crew compartment is unpainted, like the cockpit, but it has no fabric batting. Wheel wells are unpainted, too, with Neutral Gray landing gear struts and interior of gear bay doors if the airplane was delivered in Olive Drab over Neutral Gray camouflage. Later unpainted B-26Bs and Fs seemed to revert to aluminum lacquer struts. The inside of cowlings is unpainted. If building the Monogram kit, no one will say you are wrong if you use the above callouts to paint your model.

I know people who know veterans who flew the later B-26Fs and they distinctly remember that the interior of the airplane, including the wheel wells, was painted Interior Green. So it is possible that late production Marauders may have switched over to Interior Green overall.

Dana Bell reports that Martin requested and was granted permission to paint the airplanes without a primer. This is reason that you see so much paint chipping on the external camouflage, particularly on the leading edges of the wings and cowling. There is also a lot evidence that some or all of the external paint was stripped from B-26s at the depot before delivery to the forward units. All this stuff makes a modeler crazy, but it is a fascinating subject to study.

Lee K

I quoted this as it has info on gear legs and wheel wells and cowlings.. and a 'get out' as some may have been Int Green....

this has a load pics of the inside of "Flak Bait" which is unrestored

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/thre...it%26quot%3B---

oh, note the seats...

flakbait5.jpg

I hope this is of use to you, and anyone else whose comtemplating one of these.... I did most of one 30 years ago, used a load of Milliput, certainly knew none of the above!!!

I think filler could be reduced with a load careful trimming, scraping and shimming... Having dug the remains out a while back this is what I thought these days, I'd certainly check the fit of the nacelles to the wings, and the wing/fuse joint.

finally... the turret, is made of sections of clear perspex glued together, like the B-25 Turret, what you sometimes see in photos that look like frame or panel pane lines are the opaque glue joints. There are no frame lines. it's all clear!

HTH [and sorry again if it doesn't...]

T