Spitfire FR.MkXIVe Wing tips

johnd

Evening all.

Are the wingtips on a Spitfire FR.Mk.XIVe* standard or clipped? All of the photos I've seen have the clipped ones, but the Fujimi kit I have (72128) has standard ones. This depicts four far-eastern examples, MV349, NH869, MV320 & SM888. I suppose it could vary from airframe to airframe but there weren't many built and I've yet to see one with the normal span.

Thanks,

John.

* or should that be FR.Mk.14e ?

Edited by johnd

Evening all.

Are the wingtips on a Spitfire FR.Mk.XIVe* standard or clipped? All of the photos I've seen have the clipped ones, but the Fujimi kit I have (72128) has standard ones. This depicts four far-eastern examples, MV349, NH869, MV320 & SM888. I suppose it could vary from airframe to airframe but there weren't many built and I've yet to see one with the normal span.

Thanks,

John.

* or should that be FR.Mk.14e ?

I collected a list from my profile catalogue, both high and low back Several from Osprey's series. I cannot guarentee for accurate information. Check fotos.

MV363 "N" - Mary

RN119 AE&J

DL & ?

DL&F

RM 617 DL&G

DL probably all from Osprey "Nigeria"

DL&K "Brünhilde

DL&Q

RM687 AE&G (from Bracken)

RG169 MN&F

RB169 MN&F

RM908 UM&G

AE&B (Bracken)

MB266 EB&J

RN133 FF&B

RM809 GCK

MV268 JEJ

It seems that "Nigeria" and the Belgians mainly used the long wings, but again check in each case.

NPLemche

XIVs were built with standard tips, but a modification (1609) for clipped tips was introduced in 1945; leaflets were issued in June 1945, which implies that the decision was left with individual Squadron commanders. Whether any with clipped tips saw action during the war is unclear; the Local Technical Committee discussed the mod in March, so there's a three month gap.

Edgar

Edited by Edgar

All the photos I've come across of high-backed XIV's in RCAF service, do have the full eliptical wings. Similarily, all the photos I've encountered of bubble-canopy FR.XIV's in RCAF service, have been sporting clipped wings.

Robert Bracken's book "Spitfire; the Canadians" has several photos of bubble canopy Mk.XIV's flying with RCAF squadrons, but admittedly it's unclear if those photos were taken immedately post-war (only one specifically states it was taken during the squadron's Occupation Duties) or not. There is, however ... one photo dated Apr.'45... of a 'clipped winged', bubble canopied 414 Sqn. FR.XIV ("S"; MV348) flown by F/L Ken Lawson, sporting the name "Violet-Dorothy III" on the port cowling'.

Also ... according to the book "RCAF Squadrons and Aircraft" (S.Kostenuk/J.Griffin) , 414 Squadron flew FR.XIV's from April to August '45 and in the squadron summary that is included in the 414 Squadron entry, it states the squadron flew it's last mission of WW2 on May 5 1945. It also has a B&W photo of "B" (NM896) from Apr-May '45. Again, both FR.XIV's are clipped wing.

Scott

I can't provide chapter and verse this moment, but I'm pretty sure deletion of the wingtips was a part of the FR.XIV package. The high back FRs did have full-span tips, but they only carried an oblique camera and were conversions, not production versions. The strengthened spar of the XVIII allowed a return to the standard wingtips.

bob

I think the safest way is to check a picture of the aircraft you are building and follow that, unless of course you are building a generic model in which case perhaps you should build four models, two of each fuselage type with each type of wing tip.

David.

It's the low back ones I'm interested in really. Oddly enough I had an idea that all FR.14s were clipped but couldn't remember where I'd seen it and it's better not to rely on my memory these days. A photo of a 28 squadron machine in 1946 would of course help but I can't find one in my Spitfire books or through good old Google. You can guarantee I'll find one once the model's built.

...perhaps you should build four models, two of each fuselage type with each type of wing tip.

I like your style lancfan!

Edited by johnd

Hello,

Some interresting pics here...

OK then, looks like I remembered wrong again :mental:

Edit: Well, maybe not. Sup Spec 478 22/11/44 discusses the development programme for the Mk.XIV. The FR.XIV is "Stage 3" (figher low-back being Stage 2, which it notes is in production). For the FR, it says "If mods 1532-4 are not embodied, clipped wing tips are to be fitted."

These are strengthened wing spars, strengthened fuselage, and altered [wing, presumably] attachment bolts, and these mods are all a mandatory part of Stage 4/5, which is the FR and F.18.

It is some comfort to know that I had something to go on, even if it doesn't tell the whole story!

bob

Edited by gingerbob