Anyone Help with a Lancaster?

fu_manchu

Hi

Don't normally stray into WWII territory, but it has occurred to me that I haven't ever built the Lancaster my Uncle flew in during the war. I know the mark/serial/code but beyond that I am unclear on a number of points and not totally sure where to look.

My Uncle was the sole survivor of a 57qn Mk3 that was shot down and crashed in Switzerland (Linky) and Another) Its serial was JB474 flying with code DX-F. What I am looking for (seeing as I can't seem to find any pictures of the particular aircraft), is is there a 'standard' 57sqn paint scheme e.g. would they have any specific tail colours/any insignia etc. that i would need to apply?

Thanks in advance

Ian

Edited by fu_manchu

57 Squardon machines which were 'Bombing Leaders' had the outer side of the tails painted red with a black stripe down the middle. This was applied sometime during 1944 but I can't be specific on the date I'm afraid. 'Standard' aircraft tails remianed black. Depending on whether your uncle's aircraft was a 'Bombing Leader' or not would determine whether his aircraft had the red applied.

Also, the squadron codes were red with a thin yellow outline, but other than that it appears standard Bomber Comand cammo throughout.

HTH

Tom

• Like 1

Try Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre at East Kirkby, 57 Squadron was based there during the war and they have stacks of gen. They are very helpful.

Best of luck with the build.

John (exbrat)

Very best of luck with your quest, Ian. Please keep us posted if you find anything interesting. Bomber Command isn't my area of specialization but I'm always glad to hear the outcome of stories like this one.

Cheers,

Mark

This may have been the fourth Lancaster to carry the DX~F code, as a Lancaster ED989 DX~F Frederick III was lost in 1943,

303px-The_Visit_of_HM_King_George_VI_to_617_Sqn_(The_Dambusters)_1943.jpg

Visit of HM King George VI and Lancaster ED989 DX~F Fredrick III (Net photo)

Edited by magman2

Hi Ian,

Coloured fin markings began to be carried in June 1944.

The illustration on the 2nd link appears to have been lifted from Osprey's 'Lanc 1942-3' combat aircraft book.

Cannot vouch for the nose art as magman indicates.

One thing to be careful of, some squadrons had taller code letters than others - some stopped on the bomb bay roof reinforcing strip on the fuselage side, some below.

Looking at the books I have, 57 seems to have had taller letters, but that side view shows the smaller size.

Good luck!

Nick

Edited by NG899