Dragon's 1/350 Typhoon

Madhatter

hi guys

I just bought Dragon's allegedly awful 1/350 Typhoon kit (mainly because we aren't exactly spoilt for choice for this subject) and I intend to modify it so it looks right at the rear end.

However, I obviously need good references, so - does any one know of any good sites or books that can provide said references?

Also, what other areas need attention? I mean, if it's something anal retentive like the curve of the bow is out 5 degrees or something petty like that, I don't want to know, but I would like to know what obviousareas need amending (eg: the rear end).

Any ideas or links would be appreciated

thanks fellas

MH

thanks man. I was hoping for a cheaper alternative though :S

I got some tech drawings of the Typhoon courtesy of a poster over at ARC so they should help immensely

As I've never built a sub before, anyone got any good painting and weathering tips they could share?

Cheers

MH

Yes, don't paint it black! I tend to use Tamiya acrylic paints, and my favourite colour for submarines is their Nato Black. They also have a new colour called Rubber Black which is good too. Both are slightly lighter than true black, which gives a much better scale effect. I like to give the impression of a faded finish by applying patchy coats of slightly lightened paint. This helps to break up what would otherwise be a very large, plain model.

The Typhoon is covered in anechoic (sound deadening) tiles, some of which become detached from time to time, so it's a good idea to mask and spray odd tiles in different shades to represent this. They also get streaked with grime and rust, so some weathering pigments or thinned oil paint could be used to represent this.

I know you didn't want to buy the Hobbyboss 1:700 version, it really is a steal at only £3.75 in the UK, and it will provide a good reference as well as an opportunity to practice your painting before you let rip on the larger version. Here's mine, alongside their Akula class:

subs1-1.jpg

subs2-1.jpg

subs3-1.jpg

subs4-1.jpg

subs5-1.jpg

subs6-1.jpg

thats is some seriously awesome work there Paul - and thank you for those painting tips - I will employ those for my build. Like you, I prefer the Tamiya Acrylic range but I didn't know about the "rubber black" shade. Hasn't landed here in Australia yet I don't think

Whats the XF#?

Thanks again

MH

Edited by Madhatter

Here's mine, alongside their Akula class:

subs1-1.jpg

Great models Paul - superbly finished.

Your photo of the two subs alongside each other highlights a (slightly) interesting fact......

What NATO calls the 'Typhoon' SSBN is actually called by the Russsians the Project 941 'Akula' (Shark).

What NATO calls the 'Akula' Class (the SSN in your photo) is called by the Russians Project 971 'Shchuka' (Pike).

So when someone mentions 'Akula' - do the mean the big SSBN - or the smaller SSN ??

Back to our regular scheduled programme.....

Ken

thats is some seriously awesome work there Paul - and thank you for those painting tips - I will employ those for my build. Like you, I prefer the Tamiya Acrylic range but I didn't know about the "rubber black" shade. Hasn't landed here in Australia yet I don't think

Whats the XF#?

Thanks again

MH

It's XF-85. Wheras their Nato Black has a hint of green (to my eyes anyway) the Rubber Black has a hint of blue. Not every shop over here has the newer colours (including the new RAF ones) either, but I'm very lucky as I have a model shop in the town where I live and they stock a good range of Tamiya.

That's great - thanks Paul

I don't suppose you know if any one has ever made any AM replacement parts for these kits (in particular this one) like brass screws?