Folded Flag

robw_uk

guys,

am toying with the idea of adding an identification flag on the back of my PZII - seen a couple of Tunisia based vehicles supporting them so tempted just to add a touch of individuality. Now I will use tissue to make the flag itself (coated with white glue to give rigidity - but what is the best way to work out where to paint the insignia? think there will be a little amount of folding (they were 100% smooth) - is it a case of fitting it, setting it then working it out or drawing it on the tissue before contouring it (what the heck draws on tissue without tearing it?)....

I might be making it more complex than it needs to be but.... thanks in advance

How about ... Draw the elements on a piece of paper, fold that, and copy it in paint on the ready-folded tissue paper. It wouldn't need to be precise.

pssible - i guess its not "folded" as much as creased, so shouldn't be worried about bits going behind other bits... will do some experimentation...

What about painting it when flat,then covering with white glue and then shape.The glue won't soak in but might still hold it in place?

Mike

had thought of that but tissue is gonna be hard to paint... will experiment

Have done a few from 15mm to 120mm so here is my :2c: !

Using good quality tissue paper (the paper used to cover gliders is good!) draw out the design (It will be thin enough to trace through) remembering to the reverse side if it is orientated differently (or just plain different).

Frequently I will not cut out the design until it has been painted as it makes holding it easier.

Take some wood glue and thin it down with water and paint onto the flag. Let it dry and recoat if necessary.

Now depending on how the flag is going to be positioned you can leave it flat or add gentle folds before painting. If sharp creases are needed I would fold them in whilst the paper is still wet.

For painting I would only use acrylics as they are slightly more flexible than enamels and will not ping/flake off so easily (ask me how I know...).

Finally varnish afer it is in place and positioned as you want it, again using acrylic.

HTH!

Christian the married

Have done a few from 15mm to 120mm so here is my :2c: !

Using good quality tissue paper (the paper used to cover gliders is good!) draw out the design (It will be thin enough to trace through) remembering to the reverse side if it is orientated differently (or just plain different).

Frequently I will not cut out the design until it has been painted as it makes holding it easier.

Take some wood glue and thin it down with water and paint onto the flag. Let it dry and recoat if necessary.

Now depending on how the flag is going to be positioned you can leave it flat or add gentle folds before painting. If sharp creases are needed I would fold them in whilst the paper is still wet.

For painting I would only use acrylics as they are slightly more flexible than enamels and will not ping/flake off so easily (ask me how I know...).

Finally varnish afer it is in place and positioned as you want it, again using acrylic.

HTH!

Christian the married

noted - will do some experimentation.....

first experiment underway. cut the tissue to size, draped over the rear of the tank and then coated with PVA glue/water... seems to be going ok - no tears... will wait until it looks very dry then give a 2nd coat of glue.....

Rob, how about using lead foil? Or possibly even kitchen foil?

oohhhh now that is an interesting idea... but when painted it wont look like material I guess... no texture.....

Ship modellers use kitchen foil for flags, all you need to do is get a small piece of smoothed out foil put the decal on one side let this dry then cut the shape around the decal then place the decal on the other side and again let this dry, give it a coat of Klear and when this is dry you can fold it similar to a flag being blown in the wind

ok - will see if the tissue paper works - will be painted rather than a decal - unless anyone has a 6cm x 4cm Swastika flag spare.....

ok - will see if the tissue paper works - will be painted rather than a decal - unless anyone has a 6cm x 4cm Swastika flag spare.....

Have you any white decal sheet you could print on I am sure you could download a swastika from the internet, using photoshop or Illustrator to size it should not be a problem

Have you any white decal sheet you could print on I am sure you could download a swastika from the internet, using photoshop or Illustrator to size it should not be a problem

I dont no - gonna try painting (not a swastika) a cross - there is a 2nd cross that could possibly have been used but no evidence....

painted flag:

7536999142_c15aaed48c.jpg

need to tone it down a little i think - and it could be neater but struggled to get the design onto the tissue - perhaps I do need to put it on before shaping......

trying flag #2 - this time printing the flag onto normal paper, cutting out, wetting with glue/water and moulding to the shape. I don't think it looks as "cloth-like" (doesn't drape as well) but the image of the cross looks better. Once dry I will then touch it up with my oil paints to give it a more natural appearance.

photos later

ok.. having found refs of other Panzer types (III and III/IV I think) here we have flag number 2... now this one was a .GIF image of the flag printed onto normal printer paper, then mix of water and white glue to soak and moulded to shape. The colours were then painted over in oil paint with a bit of shading (mostly highlight) done... .I am sadly pleased with how this came out so will not go for another flag this time.

piccies

7556123296_7f65ac7d48.jpg 7556123784_b10f636750.jpg

7556123530_7424baa3b1.jpg

7556123652_244fdf9cd0.jpg 7556123410_950d805cac.jpg