1/72 Revell B-17G Flying Fortress

Ok i'm in...

Revell's nice 1/72 B-17G Fortress...

The build will be pretty much OOB,except for decals. Not sure which unit i'll do yet as i'll have pick up some aftermarket decals as i've not built 1/72 stuff for years..

I've read alot of reviews of this kit online both good & bad but i have to say it looks nice to me,i snipped afew parts off the sprues last night and with some tape only built up the main airframe parts and it looks every inch a B-17 to me!

Just need to decide which 8th or 15th AF Bomb Group to build....lol

Box art and first WIP pics to follow this week.

Gary

Quite looking forward to getting started with this GB....although my start may be delayed by 24hrs as the 4th is my birthday!....that means alcohol!!!.

This kit reminds me of the mixed formation of Frog/Airfix/Revell/Matchbox 1/72 B-17E/F/G's i had hanging from my bedroom ceiling as a small kid.....just wish those kits 30 odd years ago were this detailed

• 4 weeks later...

Ok here we go.....

Boxart

ST830514.jpg

The Fortress i plan on building "Duration Plus" from the 96th BG at Snetterton Heath,as can be seen she was quite the veteran. I have seen afew pics of her in the Snetterton Falcon's Vol 2 book which shows the rest of the airframe. It also goes on to explain that Duration Plus landed at a Allied emergency airstrip on the Continent following a mission. Her crew were quickly returned to their Norfolk base. "Plus" sat out the final weeks of the war just another tired worn out bomber. In July 1945 a team of engineers selected her to be part of a victory celebration display of US aircraft held in Paris. Her wings were removed and it was transported by road to Paris and reassembled for display. Sadly after the event Duration Plus was taken away for scap along with the other aircraft on display which included B-17/B-24/P-38/P-47/P-51/P-61 to name only afew.

6338188331_7282de7353_z.jpg

Any way onto the kit.

Not much work going on inside this one,just a coat of silver and dark green to represent the "Boeing Green"/Bronze green cockpit area

ST830528.jpg

Wheel well work.. :banstamp:

ST830525-1.jpg

Coming together slowly

ST830527.jpg

ST830526.jpg

Edited by mungo1974

Even in 1/72 a B-17 is a big plane!

ST830529.jpg

Before i get sucked into the detail painting i decided to place some of the interior parts in the fuselage unglued just to see how much can be seen,the answer is very little so i won't be going mad inside.

ST830530.jpg

Sorry about the crappy pics...i suck with a camera!!!

ST830533.jpg

ST830534.jpg

This weekend i hope to close up the fuselage after taking afew more pics of the sub assemblies,also waiting on a set of Eduard Masks to turn up as some of the clear parts look very small in my fat fingers!!!

Cheers,

Gary

Edited by mungo1974

• 2 weeks later...

Not much to update,just trying not to go crosseyed applying my Eduard mask set to my clear parts. Although i am watching Memphis Belle on ITV3 while i'm doing it so its not all bad....lol

Edited by mungo1974

• 3 weeks later...

Bought two Osprey books about the Eight Air Force B-17's (Vol's 1 & 2).

It has made me appreciate more what the guys from the States did and went through.

I'm desperate to build a B-17 so I am watching all builds with interest.

Any update Gary on this?

Deacon

• 1 month later...

Well my Group Build track record continues with another DNF.

Work and real life just eats up my bench time....but she will get finish sooner or later as the model has been pre shaded for some time now just need to find time to lay down the camouflage.

Congratulations to all those who completed their models.

Gary