Vought F-8J Crusader (Hasegawa 1/48)

Gareth,

Well just consider it a break from railway modelling and think of the skills you can pick up on the plastic side, and what you can take back in terms of painting and weathering. I learned a lot from Spence on here when he did my class 26 - which is a show stopper wherever it goes. One thing will stand out though and that how far us railway modellers are behind in terms of aftermarket quality, but Brian H is changing that!

And you so lucky having a shop like that so close, and discounted Hasegawa compared to the UK!

Cheers

DSJ

Yeah, on the diesel side Brian is pretty much the only game in town for parts close to the standard of Eduard. I'm waiting for a particular selection of Sulzer parts before I head back to trains...

Talking of Eduard, I have several packs of the Czech company's etches winging their way to me to upgrade the cockpit of this Crusader, as well as a number of sets for a few future aircraft projects as well. I'm quite happy to scratchbuild certain things though, rather than buy aftermarket parts - something I can bring from my nutjob level railway detailing background to my military modelling. I've been carefully looking at lots of walkaround photos and there is a lot of additional pipework that can be added to the wheel wells and the landing gear of the F-8. I'm off to Tokyo tomorrow and I'll be able to get lots of plastic strip, wire and the like to trick these areas out! I don't intend to go crazy, just the obvious stuff.

Just like railways, decals seem to be the big problem. Having only just started acquiring a few aircraft kits, the particular decal sets I'm after (see my signature) are long out of print. I'll just have to hope that they come up on eBay in the next month or so.

And, yes, it is very nice being able to buy these lovely Japanese kits for nice prices! Makes up for the silly cost of everything else over here.

Edited by CatcliffeDemon

• 4 weeks later...

Just spotted this build, it looks great thus far. I also have the Academy kit on the shelf which I'd love to find time for one of these days. Mind you, it's nearly railway season again so I might have to put the plastic models on hold for a bit.

One thing to watch if you're thinking about raising the wing: according to a guy at my club the leading edge slats and part of the flaps are mechanically linked to the wing lift mechanism so you 'need' (if these things bother you) to have them down when the wing is up.

Cheers,

Will

Thanks, yes, while the references I have weren't explicit in saying that, I had come to that conclusion. However, it's great to have another confirmation.

Hopefully I should have my Eduard bits and airbrush in my hands either tomorrow or Friday. I've been dying to close up the fuselage and get on with getting this ready for the exterior painting.

Still no luck with my "Flying Checkmates" decals so that might hold me up again in a couple of weeks.

When I head "something something season" I always think Bugs and Daffy... Railway season, aircraft season, railway season, aircraft season, railway season, railway season, aircraft season, BANG!

• 2 years later...