Obsolete kit GB?

Great idea Enzo - I've got plenty of old relics in my stash. Only problem, is that I'm not sure that many of them have been superceded by anything better!

I'll find something though, so please count me in.

Cliff

Hi Enzo. I'm in, if I may? As I have a Frog Wessex HAS 1 I want to complete. I started it as a challenge form a good modelling fiend up in Johannesburg, not too much work on it so far. He bailed on the challenge, so here I am with a half started model, so is it elligable? My build would be one of the original batch with the small cabin windows and overall RAF Bblue/Grey scheme.

Colin on the Africa Station

I have several old or very old kits in the stash, however my plan would be to try and improve on what the box offers. Is this allowed or is the GB aimed at OOTB builds only ? If modifications are allowed, then I'd probably enter the prehistoric smer 1/50 CR.32 or the ancient monogram 1/72 F7F

Edited by Giorgio N

I have given some thought to the rules for this GB. See what you think.

Rule 1 - Lancfan's Law. The kit must have been issued before 1982.

That applies to the original boxing. Subsequent reissues are eligible.

Rule 2 - Enzo's Law. "Why should I build this heap of junk when the new Fujitamigawa kit is available?"

There must be a more modern or better kit of the subject available.

I am fully aware that "better" is a purely subjective term. I'll leave each modeller to justify this themselves. :) If there is a choice of kits available, then that satisfies this rule.

Rule 3 - Murdo's Law. "I opened the box for a quick look, shuddered, cried, then very quickly closed it again. What in the world was I thinking of?"

This pretty much defines the whole spirit of the groupbuild. :)

In order to be eligible, a kit must comply with Rule 1 and at least one of rules 2 and 3.

Some examples.

Airfix 1/72 Douglas Dauntless.

Soon to be re-released, but the mould dates from the early 70s. It qualifies under Lancfan's Law. There is a Hasegawa kit of this subject, so it qualifies under Enzo's Law. Have a look at the kit. It definitely qualifies under Murdo's Law.

It's in!

Monogram 1/48 F-100D

Released in the late 70s. There is a modern TrumpyBoss kit available. Whether that kit is "better" is debateable as the Monogram kit is very nice indeed. This kit qualifies under Lancfan's Law and Enzo's Law, but fails Murdo's Law.

It's in!

Hasegawa 1/72 A-1 Skyraider

Released in the late 70s. There is an equivalent Airfix kit available, but it is certainly not "better" or more modern.

This qualifies under Lancfan's Law but fails Enzo's Law and Murdo's Law.

It's out. But the Airfix kit would be in.

Hasegawa 1/72 RF-101A Voodoo

Released in the mid 70s. There has been no replacement kit of a single seat Voodoo issued since. This one qualifies under Lancfan's Law, fails Enzo's Law and passes Murdo's Law.

It's in!

I also foresee three different ways in which a model can be built for this GB.

Built to the highest standards possible with rescribing, resin, PE and scratchbuilt parts. This should be an attempt to build a model from the old kit to be indistinguishable from one built from the latest kit. For instance, make the Frog Gannet look like the Revell one.

Built OOB using all the techniques you know. Filling, spraying, weathering, maybe a bit of rescribing. Build an old kit in the same manner and to the same stanards as you would a modern one.

A nostalgia build. An old kit built in exactly the same style as when you first built it forty-odd years ago. No filler or sanding of joint lines. Enamel paint daubed on using a hairy stick. An attempt to recapture the joys of your youth! :D

Of course, it's your model, so you build it in the manner that you see fit. There will be no seperate categories for the different build styles.

All the other usual GB rules - the ones about no more than 25% complete on the start date and the most important GB rule of all (having fun) - will apply.

Edited by Enzo Matrix

Airfix Auster Antarctic springs to mind, I might need to swap the scheme to a Pongo jobbie (Army Air Corps) though. Then the Frog Lynx also looks a likely candidate, red ,yellow, blue or pink? I'm thinking purely of what is in my stash, I'm not going to rush out a buy something. Then I have the original Frog Canberra, Sea Vixen, Sea Venom, although the latter two are quite nice kits and then.....

I might be interested. Thinking of kits by Aurora or original Frog ones as mentioned and illustrated above. Old tool Airfix ones.

if you want a working example (blowing my own trumpet) look at

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...mp;hl=helldiver

I will be in - with what I have no idea.... may use it as an excuse to revist something from my childhood - perhaps the Airfix Norman Islander.... or try something completely new (like a FROG kit).....

Edited by robw_uk

Airfix Auster Antarctic springs to mind, I might need to swap the scheme to a Pongo jobbie (Army Air Corps) though. Then the Frog Lynx also looks a likely candidate, red ,yellow, blue or pink? I'm thinking purely of what is in my stash, I'm not going to rush out a buy something. Then I have the original Frog Canberra, Sea Vixen, Sea Venom, although the latter two are quite nice kits and then.....

All of the Frog kits would qualify under rules 1 and 2. The Airfix Auster qualifies under rules 1, 2 and 3.

Forsooth thou are a knave and a scoundrel for suggesting such an endeavour! Wherefore, I have pondered upon the contents of my veritable trove of plastic treasures and lo I espy'd an ancient relic in the form of a mirror'd reflection... no no I mean an Airfix Fairey Rotodyne which perchance I believe dwells in the halls of Obsolescence!

Huzzah, I vouchsafe my participation in this noble quest!

Edited by Kallisti

Righto! My Leige!

(AKA Oh bugger it!)

May I have the pleasure of requesting the honour of joining thee and thy band of sterling fellows (and felloesses) in this most noble endevour.

A short repast of the stash has brought many forward vollunteering for service, but one estemiable example shone above the others:

Plastyk 1/72 Caudron Renault 714 C1 Cyclone.

Looking at the remaining plastic after removing about half the plastic I purchased it looks to be a possible Heller repop.

I think it Qs under Rule 1 - Lancfan's Law.

Not too sure about Rule 2 - Enzo's Law.

As for Rule 3 - Murdo's Law. Verily much and most certainly, and thats after paring back the flash!!!! :blink::sick::crying:

If not there are others....... :wicked:

Christian the Married

Hasegawa 1/72 A-1 Skyraider

Released in the late 70s. There is an equivalent Airfix kit available, but it is certainly not "better" or more modern.

This qualifies under Lancfan's Law but fails Enzo's Law and Murdo's Law.

It's out. But the Airfix kit would be in.

The Hasegawa Skyraider fails rule 1. It was released in the 90's and is quite gorgeous. Which makes the Airfix kit very eligible.

bugger I have the monogram huey hog rereleased under revell but I have finished or the majority of the interior it has monogram 1977 on it so passes that rule there are better available? Hobby boss?thats in up to you guys what 25% finished is, as by the looks of this it could take a dogs age to get looking even relitivly decent so thats rule 3 covered. if you're in agreement i'm in depending on when it is don't want to clash with USN GB

Darren

Tell me nave, 'Hast thou seen a band of goodly knights (modellers) pass this way, dressed for jousting (modelling) such as I'?

'Nay sire'.

'Well I wonder, where have they got to'?

Sorry but all this forsoothing has got me going.....

I cast an eye into the stash, prechance to find a kit to bash,

A thousand boxes all cried yey

just one will do the rest can wait another day....

I'd like to build Airfix's 1/48 Stuka, but I think it came out in the 1990's. does anyone know the original release date?

Also possibilities are the Revellogram P -38, B-25 Mitchell, Lindberg's 1/32 Laird Turner Meteor, or Testor's Travelair Mystery Ship.

I'd like to build Airfix's 1/48 Stuka, but I think it came out in the 1990's. does anyone know the original release date?

Also possibilities are the Revellogram P -38, B-25 Mitchell, Lindberg's 1/32 Laird Turner Meteor, or Testor's Travelair Mystery Ship.

The Airfix 1/48 Stuka was originally released in 1982, and therefore fails rule 1 which states that the kits original release date must be before 1982.

It does meet rules 2 and 3, because it has been overtaken by better Hasegawa kits and openng the box makes you say 'yuck' out loud.

Notwithstanding that, with a bit of tlc it is a fantastic build.