Obsolete kit GB?

I've just been looking at Murdo's Sea Hawk build. Linky

There are far better Sea Hawk kits available. Why on earth would he want to build such an obsolete and outmoded kit?!?!?!

Because he can! :D

We could all learn from Murdo's example.

So... does anyone fancy an obsolete kit group build? Take a really old kit from the 60s or 70s. Maybe 80s. Certainly something which has been superseded by far more modern kits. Apply a bit of modelling skill - maybe chuck a load of resin at it - and bring it up to modern standards. Or, on the other hand, simply make it into an exercise in pure nostalgia.

For instance, take the Airfix Fairey Battle or Boulton-Paul Defiant and produce a highly detailed replica from a very flawed kit.

Or - and I really fancy doing this - build the old Revell Dambuster Lancaster straight from the box. I built one as a kid and had a whale of a time doing it.

Looking though my stash, I see a Frog Miles Master, Airfix Meteor III, Airfix Saab Viggen and a Hobbycraft Sea Fury. My Deep Stash has a couple of Frog Gannets.

Anyone fancy this?

My liege Enzo, I salute you sir, for a very dedicated modeller. Yet I will not follow you on this perilous path. Rather would I gouge out mine own eyes with a spoon.

[sorry for the rhetoric. I'm half-watching Richard II on the TV.]

Zounds, good sir.

Methinks this is a great idea!

Sooth, I wish you had thought of it two years ago when I started a Smer Supermarine Walrus, but woe, I' m now 90% done.

I'm sure I could find something in bargain bins. I'd gladly participate.

Edited by Richard B.

My liege Enzo, I salute you sir, for a very dedicated modeller. Yet I will not follow you on this perilous path. Rather would I gouge out mine own eyes with a spoon.

A nobler man, a braver warrior, lives not this day within Britmodeller's walls. So I do ally in thy uprightness and integrity. And so I love and honour thee and thine and beseech thee to take arms against a sea of modern, over engineered yet soulless kits. From this day to the ending of the world, but we in it shall be remembered; We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he to-day that sands his filler with me shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile, this group build shall gentle his condition.

And gentlemen on other forums, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap while any speaks that fought with us upon the Obsolete Kit GB!

Nah, he's just a nutter! :mental:

OI ! Standing right here, people!!!!

Well yes, that too.

Oh... don't you start! :lol:

Edited by Enzo Matrix

A nobler man, a braver warrior, lives not this day within Britmodeller's walls. So I do ally in thy uprightness and integrity. And so I love and honour thee and thine and beseech thee to take arms against a sea of modern, over engineered yet soulless kits. From this day to the ending of the world, but we in it shall be remembered; We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he to-day that sands his filler with me shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile, this group build shall gentle his condition.

And gentlemen on other forums, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap while any speaks that fought with us upon the Obsolete Kit GB!

Go on then, you've talked me into it. I'll have a bash at some old tat if it keeps you happy.

So... does anyone fancy an obsolete kit group build? Take a really old kit from the 60s or 70s. Maybe 80s. Certainly something which has been superseded by far more modern kits. Apply a bit of modelling skill - maybe chuck a load of resin at it - and bring it up to modern standards. Or, on the other hand, simply make it into an exercise in pure nostalgia.

What a great idea Enzo! A GB for all those late 70's ESCI 1/48th scale kits, the Revell 'History Makers', Lindberg quarter scale kits from way back from the 1950's. FROG? Count me in - Nostalgia Level One :speak_cool:

Only issue that I can see is that the term 'obsolete kit' would need to be very carefully defined. For example quite a few of the old ESCI kits have been repopped by Italeri eg the 1/48th Kfir C1/C2. The Airfix F-5A Freedom Fighter has been around since the year dot yet is still a starter kit. Even the now sought after Revell H.P. Victor tanker is an old Matchbox reissue. Matchbox = can of worms! What about the superb landmark 80's era Monogram Century Series 1/48th scale kits which still get released under the Revell moniker eg F-106 Delta Dart, are they really 'obselete'? Is 'obselete' defined by the standard of the kit, when it was originally issued or when it was last issued?

Nevertheless, count me in as a big YES!

Michael

What a great idea Enzo! A GB for all those late 70's ESCI 1/48th scale kits

Oh yeh! I have an Esci 1/48 F-16 in the Deep Stash.

Only issue that I can see is that the term 'obsolete kit' would need to be very carefully defined. For example quite a few of the old ESCI kits have been repopped by Italeri eg the 1/48th Kfir C1/C2. The Airfix F-5A Freedom Fighter has been around since the year dot yet is still a starter kit. Even the now sought after Revell H.P. Victor tanker is an old Matchbox reissue. Matchbox = can of worms! What about the superb landmark 80's era Monogram Century Series 1/48th scale kits which still get released under the Revell moniker eg F-106 Delta Dart, are they really 'obselete'? Is 'obselete' defined by the standard of the kit, when it was originally issued or when it was last issued?

That's a very good point. I see that Airfix are re-releasing their SBD Helldiver. Although it is in a new box, it was surpassed by the Hasegawa kit.

So... I would say an obsolete kit is any kit that has had a newer mould kit released. If you look at it and think "why should I build this heap of junk when the new Fujitamigawa kit is available?" then it is a prime candidate for this GB.

Still leaves a few grey areas though. The original Airfix Bf110 is slap bang in the middle of the demographic for this GB. The new Airfix Bf110 shouldn't be, even though it has now been surpassed by the Eduard kit.

Why not impose a twenty or thirty year rule on this to exclude modern kits? this would avoid the recent release problem.

Good idea! That would apply to the original issue date of the kit, thereby allowing the "new" Airfix SBD in.

How about 30 years as a cutoff point?

Oops! Have I kicked a Hornet's nest here? :rolleyes:

This is what I was planning on building next. Apparently it was "released" in 2010 but even Julius Caesar wrote a review on it complaining that it was ancient and sheer rubbish.

Comet.jpg

Mind you, I've no idea if an updated kit has been brought out by some other manufacturer so it might not qualify but it looks snazzy so I'll build it anyway. :analintruder:

Edited by Murdo

Oops! Have I kicked a Hornet's nest here? :rolleyes:

Yep! :lol:

Mind you, I've no idea if an updated kit has been brought out by some other manufacturer so it might not qualify but it looks snazzy so I'll build it anyway. :analintruder:

Yassee.... that's eggzackerly the sort of thing I had in mind.

Gadzooks! My leige knave, make it so, for this bold endeavour gives chance to those forlorn and forsaken that lay cast asunder in the darkest corners of our Deep Stash. For this adventure may bestow upon them that life for which they had otherwise lost all hope. Let us gather modelling tools and endeavour, with or without assistance of plasticard and enterprise, to build that which was deemed unbuildable and otherwise damned to eternal ridicule as a curiosity of history and destined to become paint mule or child's plaything at best, if not to fall pray of the dark horrors that kit collectors bony fingers may visit upon it under the show table with a mark of much cheapness besmirching it.

Hmm, think there's plenty kits I can justify dragging into the light for this one, cracking idea Enzo.

Cool! Count me in with the Comet then.

I opened the box for a quick look, shuddered, cried, then very quickly closed it again. What in the world was I thinking off when I entered this kit! :shrug:

:rofl:

Why not impose a twenty or thirty year rule on this to exclude modern kits? this would avoid the recent release problem. David.

Good idea, it would do that if applied to original release date and that would work for me in most cases if thirty years was applied. I would be looking at the 1/72nd Airfix F-86D Sabre Dog, F6D Skyray and F-80 Shooting Star; the *old* Revell 1/48th A-10A, F-15A and F-104G; anything Lindberg or Aurora. Not so sure of some of the later ESCI 1/48th scale kits, this is where Enzo's "why should I build this heap of junk when the new Fujitamigawa kit is available?" definition works equally well :)

Long live junk!

Michael

I opened the box for a quick look, shuddered, cried, then very quickly closed it again. What in the world was I thinking off when I entered this kit!

I would say that is the perfect definition for this proposed GB :thumbsup2:

Michael

Cool! Count me in with the Comet then.

I opened the box for a quick look, shuddered, cried, then very quickly closed it again. What in the world was I thinking off when I entered this kit! :shrug:

:rofl:

You could always use the Airfix decals with the old Frog (or spawn) kit which was FAR better than the Airfix tooling.

comet1.jpg

David.

Edited by lancfan

I beseech thee to gather thirty or more, skilled and dedicated warriors, have them march under the banners and flags or two great leaders and should be able to gather enough of these noble warriors have them trained and ready for battle at a date later in the next year.

This is what I was planning on building next. Apparently it was "released" in 2010 but even Julius Caesar wrote a review on it complaining that it was ancient and sheer rubbish.

Comet.jpg

You're nearly right. It wasn't Julius Caesar, it was Pontius Pilot.