A Mustang and a Half Test title Test title Test title Test title Test title Test title Test title Test title Test title Test title Test title Test tit

Nice work. I have always wanted to build one of these two-seat birds. Ike overflew the Normandy beachhead in one, although I don't know the markings.

Nice one Don

Thanks Mish

Looking good Don

Its a good day when you pick up tip`s like that

wellzy :headphones:

Which one? But you're welcome, whatever it was. :)

Nice work. I have always wanted to build one of these two-seat birds. Ike overflew the Normandy beachhead in one, although I don't know the markings.

Thanks Jim and welcome. What's your source for the Eisenhower flight?

IMG_0123.jpg

I have some pretty paints for the build!

IMG_0127.jpg

Acrylic metallics are a bit grainy, I think. This is Vallejo oily steel. Apart from the grain, I do like it.

IMG_0132.jpg

Those shims.

IMG_0133.jpg

Tail mounted.

Sorry it's a short and boring update but I'm not feeling too well. Off to bed now, in fact.

See you soon.

Nice work on that tail Don

Thanks Mish, but you spoke too soon. Despite my best care and attention I have built a small but noticeable (to me) twist into the fuselage. Looking on the bright side it's a lovely strong joint, to get it apart would require gunpowder. Oh, wait a minute, that's really not good news at all!

Unfortunately, I have severe astigmatism in both eyes and in different directions. Even with my glasses on I have great difficulty judging angles accurately enough for jobs like this. It's one reason I love Tamiya engineering, but in this case even the Tamiya front end wasn't foolproof. With hindsight, (always 20/20) I could have put the wings on first and then jigged it up on a flat surface and used a set square against the fin. Never mind, it's too late now.

I got the wings on straight last night and then attached the horizontal tail surfaces in line with the wings in the hope that the crooked fin alone will be less noticeable. Of course, to me it shines out like a searchlight, but it's possibly less obvious to the casual viewer. I shall photograph it from any direction but 6 and 12 o'clock and hope that no-one notices.

Hi Jim it P51 B ( GQ * and a U up side down ) called stars look down ,got some details on her

If I can help give us a shout

Edited by wellzy

Hi Jim it P51 B ( GQ * and a U up side down ) called stars look down ,got some details on her

If I can help give us a shout

I'm really surprised that the Commander in Chief would fly over water in a single engined aircraft,

much less one that had been 'field modified' and gave such a poor view to the passenger. Why would

he do that? He could have been another Glen Miller. Imagine what might have happened without him,

the only general with the ability to organise AFE and get along with Patton, Monty and De Gaulle. Wow.

Stars Look Down indeed.

Anyway, back to business...

IMG_0142.jpg

IMG_0141.jpg

The cockpit. I didn't spend a huge amount of time on it really.

IMG_0139.jpg

Without holes...

IMG_0138.jpg

...and with. It makes a difference.

IMG_0135.jpg

IMG_0134.jpg

'The wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round, round and round...' I think this will be one

very bright bus. I'm making the beast a couple of days after it was resprayed so there will be minimal weathering.

IMG_0140.jpg

My newly worked out method for checking alignments. I found that I can use a compass cutter as a height gauge.

I blutac'ed the mainplanes down level, and then built trestles from blutac and sprue to hold the stabs level too.

Then I just ran some glue into the joints and went to work. This was the result.

IMG_0143.jpg

The Twist in the Tail. I guess it's <5 degrees, so with the stabs alligned with the wing I will get away with it.

Anyone that notices will assume that its supposed to be like that to counter the prop torque. Or that's what

I'll tell them anyway.

Nice work Don. Explain the tail away with, It's War Weary, it got strained in a dog fight. I know of an RAF Lincon that had the tail section put back on crooked and nobody noticed for years, all the pilots bar one hated to fly her as they couldn't trim her out, just the one could and there is always one!

Great stuff! I shouldn't worry about the twisted tail too much. Most of my earler models are far more hideously out of kilter, but only notice from front or rear views.

Edited by Vulcanicity

Great stuff!
Great job.

Thanks guys,

For a week I've been looking at the masses of filler on this one, and thinking "tomorrow".

IMG_0195.jpg

Once I got on with it, she cleaned up fairly easily.

IMG_0196.jpg

I decided to use a closed front canopy as I think this will draw attention to the second seat. (Also makes the build easier!)

Looking good Don, after looking at the pictures of different examples of these 'hack' conversions such as the one you chose I think I may have found another occasional theme to build to.

David.

Edited by lancfan

Really enjoying this one Don - lovely work on the cockpits; very neat.

I only queried the "overspray" issue as I gathered that was the one you were planning on doing so I was wondering if you had an intention to re-create the effect -s'all!

Looking forward to seeing this one completed.

cheers

Rick

Thanks Mish

Which one? But you're welcome, whatever it was. :)

Thanks Jim and welcome. What's your source for the Eisenhower flight?

IMG_0123.jpg

I have some pretty paints for the build!

IMG_0127.jpg

Acrylic metallics are a bit grainy, I think. This is Vallejo oily steel. Apart from the grain, I do like it.

IMG_0132.jpg

Those shims.

IMG_0133.jpg

Tail mounted.

Sorry it's a short and boring update but I'm not feeling too well. Off to bed now, in fact.

See you soon.

Quesada was the pilot that day of the Ike mustang flight. I would check to see if he ever wrote any memoirs. It's been a long time and I'm not sure where I read it, but I'll do a little research and let you know what I turn up. But I do remember it because that idea of the two-seat mustang fired my imagination.

Thanks everyone for your kind remarks. I've taken a couple of steps forward and then suddenly noticed the huge task in fromt of me!!

I masked the canopy and primed her. Then took a really good look at this photo for the first time.

imgjy.jpg

Then I noticed a few things that are causing me some distress right now.

1. The wheel hubs are blue.

2. The blue panels are outlined in white.

3. The codes, in that pale blue, are also white-outlined.

4. The stars and bars are also in that non-standard pale blue (or has the old colour photograph faded?) and are also white outlined.

5. I have no decals in those colours. No codes. No insignia.

I seem to be on the edge of a masking nightmare of a summer. What a bummer!

Edited by per ardua ad ostentationem

Quesada was ... fired my imagination.

Hi Jim,

I'm still very sceptical about this flight. I can see Patton being daft enough, but Ike?

p.s. you don't have to leave everything in when you make a quotation. Just leave the bits you want people to have to read twice. Just leave the bits you want people to have to read twice. :)