M7 Priest 'range targets'

Graeme

I came across these pics on the facebook page for the last unit I served with, 7 Armd Wksp, at Fallingbostel.

There was always a 'stock' of scrap hulls to be taken out to the neighbouring Hohnes ranges; I remember there were at least a couple of ex - Bundeswehr M42 Dusters as well as some other stuff that could have been either Cromwells or Comets.

I'm not one of the people in the pics, and unfortunatley I don't know who they are, but they're almost certainly reccy mechs...

M7b.jpg

M7a.jpg

Maybe a diorama idea for someone?

Graeme

I remember old tanks being taken out onto the ranges at Hohne when I was a boy. Old APC's as well.

My dads unit had a couple of old MK1 432's used for casualty training.

Julien

• 1 year later...

I`ve seen some really old stuff out and about on the ranges and I once slept in a Churchill Mk.I on the FIBUA Range at Catterick which was a section of old married quarters covered with barbed wire, roadblocks, hulks etc,.....good fun but it still got your heart racing when the rifle butts and fists kicked in during room to room fighting,....it must have been terrible for real!

There were Comets up on Otterburn and I saw a Panther and T-34 on the petrol bomb range at a Belgian run camp in Germany on top of a huge hill,....I cannot think of the name of it now. It had a small grass airfield down in the valley where we did loads of Balloon Jumps. The hillside of the other valley had a huge German eagle carved out of the pine woods,..I`m sure somebody knows where I mean.

Cheers

Tony

Edit- The Belgian run camp on a hill in Germany was Vogelsang,...a really creepy place which was used to train real bad bottom Nazis who would go into the political and idealogical branches of the party. Lots of the old arian statues etc are still there.

Edited by tonyot