Sandy....in the form of the Tamiya 1/48 A1J

Excellent Chris! Good luck with the build.

Regards.

Graham

This will be my first GB here so am hoping I can make something that resembles a half decent kit! I'm looking forward to THAT exhaust stain....Obligatory box pics to follow shortly.

This will be my first GB here so am hoping I can make something that resembles a half decent kit! I'm looking forward to THAT exhaust stain....Obligatory box pics to follow shortly.

You mean this exhaust stain?

october028.jpg

Excellent choice of aircraft and welcome to the friendly and very addictive world of the Groupies.

• 2 weeks later...

Got some ROUGH pics of the bombs being made up (excuse the rubbish iPhone pics - I will get my camera into action for the next set of shots....

Basic bombs put together, then a thin layer of putty applied to the MK82's with extended fuses, then roughed up with a toothbrush and sprayed olive drab. Then a rough drybrushing with some metal... I was going for the textured look you often saw on those 82's. Hope it looks ok.

IMG_2260.jpg

IMG_2261.jpg

IMG_2264.JPG

Like the textured finish on the daisy-cutters a lot! Good work. I'm going a different route I think - as I did a bomb-loaded A-1H in USN colours last year, so I want to have a different load-out than that

I think the ablative coating was for U.S. Navy bombs not Air Force, might want to check.

Cheers

Phil

Got some ROUGH pics of the bombs being made up (excuse the rubbish iPhone pics - I will get my camera into action for the next set of shots....

Basic bombs put together, then a thin layer of putty applied to the MK82's with extended fuses, then roughed up with a toothbrush and sprayed olive drab. Then a rough drybrushing with some metal... I was going for the textured look you often saw on those 82's. Hope it looks ok.

I'm in two minds whether to use eight Mk 82s or a couple of Mk. 84 2,000lb bombs (I keep seeing the Mk. 84s being mentioned as a typical CAS load) on my Vietnam period Navy Crusader, but whichever I chose I'll be sure to check on the bomb coating now. I may steal this technique as well :)

I'm with Saintsphil here! My Sandy clearly raided a USN store...

I'm just happy with the effect to be honest.

And so you should be mate - it's your model!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got some time to get moving on this build...

Pit just with some picked out colours and PE

20120723_181238.jpg

Resin seat in before proper painting

20120723_181409.jpg

Comparison with the OOB seat.... quite a difference

20120723_202254.jpg

The reason I have 2 pits here is a long story but I ended up with a "spare" Sandy kit after fluffing the fuselage trying to get a resin tub in.. well I could have salvaged it, but I wasn't happy to bodge it....

Edited by Chris W. Balmer

Ablative coating, from what I can find, was introduced around 1969/1970. The Forrestal fire was big news, but lesser known is the Enterprise fire in 1969 LINK

There was also a big flight deck fire on the Oriskany

The main parts are coming together now with a view to painting starting this weekend if SWMBO doesn't interrupt! :-)

20120724_202903_phixr.jpg

20120724_230127_phixr.jpg

20120725_003110_phixr.jpg

20120725_001918_phixr.jpg

20120725_001938_phixr.jpg

Like Andy, I have used the resin Yankee seat in this pit, but came across a fluke when inserting it... you have to shave a fair amount of the back of the seat to fit it in the OOB tub, and even then it obscures the slot for the control column to sit in - I managed to attach the control column to the base of the seat at a slight angle, allowing the seat and control column to be easily lifted out of the pit during painting/masking etc etc...

Nice stuff Chris and good idea with the Yankee seat. Some tedious masking of those doors, wells and cockpit to come! It looks like you are going to paint the cowl separately? If you are - a wise decision in my opinion you can get the paint right into that area behind the cowl and if you leave the exhausts off, even better. I tacked mine on to get the camo demarcations right and then sprayed it separately