1/48 Tamiya A-1H/J Skyraider +++ Finished +++

You're flying through this Andy, how you going to tackle the Camo?

Thanks Phil - TBH it's difficult not to, as the fit is so good (apart from my stupid mistake with the alignment under the nose). The camo paint on photos I've seen looks like a quite tight demarcation, so in scale, I think I'm going to mask with tape rather than Blu-Tac (like I did with my AC-47 in the Dakota GB). It will have to be post-shaded on the top as getting pre-shade to show through three different colours is gonna be tricky.

I wish I had the time to get as much modelling done as some on here! And I do a 9-5 job :unsure:

Doing well Andy, Looking forward to seeing some paint on her!

Cheers Radleigh. I pretty much always get at least an hour a night at the bench and I mean every night - I don't watch TV much and it's a good stress-reliever (famous last words) :D

Cheers Radleigh. I pretty much always get at least an hour a night at the bench and I mean every night - I don't watch TV much and it's a good stress-reliever (famous last words) :D

I don't watch TV much either tbh unless it's something war/aircraft related! Don't have Sky either! I do love cooking though, so maybe thats my downfall... :bangin:

I was thinking along the same lines for the Dragonfly, I might try preshade anyway and only paint each section it's colour, if that makes sense....at least Tamiya give you a nice scale plan to work from (other manufacturers take note!!)

Your decals will be in the post this afternoon!

Phil

I was thinking along the same lines for the Dragonfly, I might try preshade anyway and only paint each section it's colour, if that makes sense....at least Tamiya give you a nice scale plan to work from (other manufacturers take note!!)

Your decals will be in the post this afternoon!

Phil

Actually! Good point! I'll probably pre-shade anyway - force of habit and all that :rolleyes:

Hope the seat arrives OK

Evening all

Just a quick update. Got the primer on and the AD pre-shaded...

001-4.jpg

Once dried, I then sprayed Lifecolor FS36622 Light Aircraft Grey to the underside in two thin coats

004-4.jpg

009.jpg

I've taken two shots one in natural light and one not to see if either show the pre-shading contrast better. Not sure really but it looks OK to my eye. Puzzling over the best way to apply the upper coat SEA scheme next

Ta for looking

Thanks Phil. I've also just received an e-mail telling me my BLU-32 bombs have been dispatched...weapons next then :speak_cool:

There are some decent paint ref shots in this link Andy that MIGHT be of some use... - LINKY!

Hmm yeah good close-ups there - thanks for the link Chris

Already starting to look menacing, nice.

Thanks. Wait till she is tooled up!

Hi all

The 'Dog' has been masked underneath ready for the top surface paint. Tailplanes and 'squiggly' Tamiya tape for the rear underside.

009-1.jpg

The BLU-32 Napalm bombs arrived and nice little resin jobs they are too. I have the option to do one without nose cones (with open strike pin) or closed nose cones. None are finned, so they would be fairly inaccurate at anything other than 500ft (good height for a CAS A-1 :speak_cool:).

005-3.jpg

I decided to use nose cones as I have a pic of my chosen a/c being 'bombed up' with nose-coned BLU-32's. Started sawing off the plugs and cones and had to halt while I sliced my thumb open :undecided: I always tell the missus when she is working with knives to cut away from the body - so what did I do? :fraidnot:

Got them finished eventually. CA'd the cones on and sanded them down - they will be Olive Green with red bands. I also had to drill holes to match the centres of the (supposed) sway braces on the pylons under the wing so they can be fixed.

001-5.jpg

I wasn't happy with my effort on the M74A4 White Phosphorus bombs (see post #23). They were too thick (I think started off as P-47 250lb bombs?) and didn't look right - they were only 100lb bombs. The fins however were spot on - the bomb should be about 30mm scale length and about 5mm scale width. So I looked again at my spares and spotted that if I took a Mk 82, cut the tail off at the panel line at the rear and shaped it, added a small circle of plasticard and sanded it, it looked like what I was after. Turn the bomb round and fit the tail off the other bomb to what was the old nose of the Mk 83 and, well it looks little more like an M74A4 (I think)

002-4.jpg

003-4.jpg

004-5.jpg

All the ordnance is off to the priming shop and I hope to make some progress on the upper paint this weekend. Thanks for looking

nice work....what can I say I love the smell of Napalm in the morning

Ha! OK Andy you win...I was waiting for somebody to say that! Cheers! :thumbsup:

Evening all

Mega-gardening session on the nicest day this year - incentive to finish was the prospect of getting some paint on the Spad. Tamiya helpfully include an A3 print to 1/48 of the proposed colour scheme so I photocopied that twice on thicker than usual A3 paper and started cutting out the masks...

001-6.jpg

The masks were then applied according to the printed detail using blobs of Blu-Tac. I did this rather than spray all-over tan then the two greeens because I wanted to try and maintain the pre-shade...

Xtracrylix US Tan (FS30219) was sprayed out of the bottle...

002-5.jpg

Then lightened with a drop of white and sprayed randomly but more on the upper faces and inside panel lines...

004-6.jpg

005-4.jpg

Next up was Xtracrylix US Vietnam Green...

006-1.jpg

Then I applied Xtracrylix Medium Green...I should use US Forest Green (FS 34079) but there isn't enough contrast (to my eye) between the two greens which can appear starkly contrasted in some photographs, so I went with lightened Medium Green (FS34092).

007.jpg

I then took off the demarcation masks to see if there was any bleed and she looks OK.

008.jpg

There is some touch up spray to do along the port wing-root which I will do tonight. Otherwise a couple of coats of Klear and then on with painting the weapons

Thanks for looking

Looking v good mate.

I had a cutting disaster with mine trying to get a resin pit in, so had to order a new fuselage sprue which arrived yday. Onwards and upwards!

Thanks Chris. Hmm, resin pits...only ever done one and it fitted like a glove, I generally try and avoid and use etch instead because of the efforts some have to go to in order to shoe-horn them in. Sounds like it's a tough time? At least a replacement is on the way!

Evening all

Managed to get on with some detail painting. First of all the cowling and engine glued on - fortunately the underside camouflage demarcation lines up! :thumbsup: How often have I sprayed the cowl and fuselage separately and then found they don't align?

002-6.jpg

The weaponry sprayed. The LAU-58 FFAR holders (the big ones with the bulbous end), BLU-32 Napalm bombs and SUU Minigun were sprayed Tamiya Olive Green. Various detail photos show the BLU-32 to be either NMF or Green - I chose Green because most with the end caps on seem to be that colour. The LAU-58's can be Green/Black/Grey - I will paint the nose cone off-white as I have seen on Sandy's at readiness. The CBU-25's (Triple cluster tubes) I have painted Buff as I have seen them a creamy colour , white or NMF. The remaining LAU-3 FFAR holders I did in underside Grey.

001-7.jpg

I masked and sprayed the wing drop tank. I read somewhere that Sandy A-1's used 150gal tanks and not the 300gal ones in the kit so I nicked one from the spares bin (it was a USN tank with a ridge around it which I sanded off).

006-2.jpg

Red hoops painted onto the BLU-32 by hand and Yellow onto the CBU-25's

007-1.jpg

008-1.jpg

The prop was masked and sprayed both sides - yellow on the rear face and white/red/white to the front...

005-5.jpg

004-7.jpg

Finally I applied Klear a couple of days ago (2 coats) and applied the first washes (Flory Dirt) tonight - wings first

009-2.jpg

We are getting there! Thanks for looking

Great build thread Andy :thumbsup2:

Watching your painting sequences reminds me what a great invention acrylic paint was. Stupidly I went back to gloss enamels on my current build - two days have gone by and its still not properly dry!

Cheers

Cliff

Great build thread Andy :thumbsup2:

Watching your painting sequences reminds me what a great invention acrylic paint was. Stupidly I went back to gloss enamels on my current build - two days have gone by and its still not properly dry!

Cheers

Cliff

Thank you Cliff - yes, I can safely say that the only return to enamels is for the Oxford Blue for a future Raspberry Ripple planned build because that colour is impossible to get in Acrylic - other than that I'm a convert - as you say, so quick!

Liking to that prop mate!

Thanks Chris - to be honest it was a bit of an a*se to mask! Happy with how it turned out though