1/48 Tamiya A-1H/J Skyraider +++ Finished +++

Nice one Andy, you've done a great job on Camo, I'm up to that stage on mine now, but no luxury of scale plans to make them from!

Phil

Hi Phil - essential with a scheme this complicated, mate. Have to get the Blu-Tac out!

Phil - do you want a copy emailed over?

Hi Chris, I think he means for his A-37 - he will be doing an A-1 at some point as we swapped my spare Yankee seat for some decals!

Awesome stuff, great watching this come together.

Thank you - on a deadline with this - holiday next Tuesday for 18days - no bench time

Ahhh I see!

I got my fuselage together last night. Pics to follow but the painting should start by the weekend.

Good man! Look forward to seeing it Chris - our own Sandy flight :speak_cool:

Like the finish you've achieved with the paint Andy, looks good.

I'm curious as to why you do the Flory wash before decals though, or do you do another wash afterwards?

This build does make me want to go and get mine out of the stash and build it though.

Pete

Like the finish you've achieved with the paint Andy, looks good.

I'm curious as to why you do the Flory wash before decals though, or do you do another wash afterwards?

This build does make me want to go and get mine out of the stash and build it though.

Pete

Hi Peter, many thanks for your comment. I would do usually with a panel wash but the biggest decal (with any light colour in it that would be susceptible to a wash)) is the tail stripes and I thought that it will sit outside any panel lines (just on the rudder itself).

The stars and bars are the miniature variety and they sit within a panel anyway, so I was intending just to give them (and the rudder decal) a quick blast of Tamiya Smoke just to dull the birghtness of the white - I do that on a lot of my builds as it just dulls the white. With bigger stars and bars - I would decals first and wash after.

You really should break it out of the stash, it's a wonderful kit with lots of options

Edited by AndyC

Hi all

I started decals this morning and I've had a forkin' disastrous time of it! The Aeromaster decals for 'Spad Dad' were absolute pants - the worst I have used. Nearly all of them broke up as I used them, especially the big tail ones, so they went in the bin. Not sure if it was because they were old (even though I only bought them a month ago from a dealer), so it was back to the drawing board.

I had a leaf through my records and pics and decided to go with 'Sock it to 'em' in the kit - good subject, right squadron - downside was the Tamiya decals...ho-hum. Put the 'TT' code on and was trying to damp down the '029' and the decal just stuck to the tissue I was using to press down and wouldn't come off with even gentle coaxing with the inevitable result that it ripped :tapedshut:

Back to square one. Have now ordered a sheet of generic US letters and numbers from the big H and this will now get finished when I get back off holiday on 20th :rant:

I've got a spare set of the Tam decals if you need them?

Chris, if you're not using them, I would love them thanks. I can always use the generic number/letter set I've ordered for plenty of other stuff. I'll PM you.

• 1 month later...

Been awhile :whistle:

As I said previously I had a minor decal mishap and ruined one of the tail numbers however Chris W Balmer very kindly donated his spare Tamiya decal sheet to me so I can complete the a/c of choice and those decals arrived today...

So I got on with it...

003-6.jpg

004-8.jpg

Now the decals are settled in and complete, I will seal them with Klear ready to start the final weathering. This will be with acrylics, graphite and Tamiya Smoke.

I then need to finish other stuff like attaching the weapons - however I have run out of CA!

Until next time...

Looking good mate!

Dave

Cheers Dave - been a bit of a wait but we're getting there!

Looking v nice Andy - you leapfrogged me! :fight:

I did! Thanks for the missing decals again, Chris and thanks for the comment

Hi all

Trying to crack on with this and the B-26 to clear the decks for other commitments!

I set the finished decals in Klear after applying the wing walks and then started the weathering process. The Skyraider could be a filthy bird...according to the A-1 Skyraider Association website, the duration of an A-1 sortie was not how much fuel it had but how long the 38-litres of oil would stay in that R-3350.

A lot of the pics I have of USAF Sandy's show heavy oil runs and staining on top of the drop tank and streaked back underneath, so I tried to replicate that...

001-9.jpg

I used Burnt Umber Acrylic in a medium thick 'glob' which I placed at the intake and then airbrushed clean air to simulate airflow. Idid this eight or nine times and then two or three times using a similar mix of Payne's Grey.

The drop tank was given a similar treatment but the 'oil' was also allowed to pool on the top and drip vertically

002-8.jpg

The first exhaust stain layer has been sprayed on in Tamiya Smoke and I hope to darken this with Black later near the exhausts

003-7.jpg

I also painted the gun barrels...the rest is on hold pending the purchase of some CA - hopefully this weekend

Thanks for looking and all comments welcome

• Like 1