Firedog Tempest

After the visit from Hack and Slash (note the Reboot reference... :D) I thought I should do something constructive.

It is usual to start with the cockpit, but I was feeling quite contrary so I went with the wheel wells. :whistle:

My other build in this GB is a Hasegawa Typhoon. I bought the Aries wheel well set, but then found out that it would not fit the kit. Flippin' typical! :wall: I've been severely burned like that before in the Mustang STGB so I didn't even try to fit them. However, the Aires parts had some nice structural detail which I attempted to replicate here. Dunno if it is accurate for a Tempest, but it's too late now. :fool:

So here you see a bit of detailing done with microstrip.

014.jpg

And here are parts from the Eduard PE added. I have also taken the opportunity to put in two compressed gas bottles from the Aires resin set and a cable loom from twisted wire.

015.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The wheel wells painted up...

016.jpg

And installed in the wing. Also fitted are the leading edge intake assemblies. These needed a fair amount of filling and sanding to fit, so I will need to re-instate the panel lines.

017.jpg

This is the rear fuselage, with the tailplane plinths roughly carved down to allow the Ultracast tailplanes to fit snugly.

018.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, a bit of movement on this one.

These are the cockpit parts. They won't be fitted until I am happy with the fuselage.

019.jpg

The MDC nose. I have rescribed the panel lines and fasteners and highlighted them with a pencil.

This is a big chunk of resin. I hope the model isn't a nose sitter... ;)

020.jpg

But then again, the tail is also pure resin. This model is going to be heavy!

021.jpg

The fuselage complete. Now for the Milliput and a fair bit of sanding.

022.jpg

023.jpg

So... this was how the cockpit it intended to be. The resin builds up into a lovely little self contained module that simply slots into the plastic fuselage.

024.jpg

025.jpg

At least that's the plan. In reality, the cockpit floor and the lower parts of the walls foul the wheel wells. With the cockpit in place there is absolutely no way that the wing will fit.

I found this out when I had the cockpit assembly superglued into place. :wall: So I put a brand new No 11 blade in my trusty scalpel and set to work. I managed to retrieve the cockpit assembly intact, which astonished me. What astonished me even more was that I did it without spilling any blood. As you will see from this thread that's a rare occurrence! :lol:

Having retrieved the cockpit I then stripped it down again. I glued the sidewalls back in place seperately and then trimmed the lower parts so that they cleared the wheel wells. I also trimmed the cockpit floor so that it fitted. I glued the footrests in place over the floor and added the seat and rear bulkhead into the fuselage, again trimmed to allow a fit. I ignored the firewall, as you cannot see it. The missing portions of the sidewalls are not apparent as the Tempest cockpit opening is actually very small. after all that hassle, not too much can be seen. Which is probably a good thing. ;)

026.jpg

• 1 month later...

A lot of progress to report - but so there should be, 'cos it's been ages since my last update.

The airframe assembled. Cockpit and gear bays masked.

027.jpg

028.jpg

029.jpg

Primed and sprayed with Xtracrylix XA1004 Dark Sea Grey. The disruptive pattern was masked with paper stuck on with Copydex and the green sprayed on with Xtracrylix XA1001 Dark Green.

030.jpg

031.jpg

Masks removed. The underside is Xtracrylix XA1008 PRU Blue.

The decal instruction sheet shows a yellow leading edge to the wing, but I haven't found any evidence this was retained after the second world war, so I have omitted it.

The panel around the exhausts is Alclad2 ALC-123 Exhaust Manifold. It looks black here, thanks to my pathetic photography skills, but it looks good on the model. Honest! :D

032.jpg

033.jpg

Decals applied.

034.jpg

035.jpg

036.jpg

I've since remembered to apply the red centres to the roundels. :wall:

More at the weekend!

Up on its gear.

The plastic gear legs are a little flimsy and the model wobbles around like a newborn foal. Hardly surprised. The parts may be fine for the kit built OOB, but there's a lot of resin in this one and it is quite weighty. I'm hoping that the undercarriage doors will add a bit of strength.

037.jpg

038.jpg

Badly out of focus... :wall: The autofocus on the camera didn't like the gloss finish. I'll have to do something about that. :D

039.jpg

040.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Finished! :yahoo: And just in time.

This has been an eventful build to say the least! :D The resin cockpit simply did not fit... there is so much resin in the fuselage that the undercarriage legs are extremely weak, the first coat of matt varnish went horribly, horribly wrong and to top it all off, the carper monster ate one of the gear doors, so I had to fabricate a new one from plastic card. :wall:

But its finished and despite all the problems (or maybe because of them!) I have thoroughly enjoyed it.

041.jpg

042.jpg

043.jpg

044.jpg

045.jpg

046.jpg

And here, next to the Typhoon which was my other build in this GB.

TT001.jpg

TT002.jpg

TT003.jpg

TT004.jpg

• Like 1

this and the Hornet shows how we were capable of producing fast but elegant looking a/c after WWII

Ooh! Hornet! I have two Frog/Novo kits in the Deep Stash...

Now there's a thought... although I don't think they are eligible for the Obsolete Kits GB.