Firedog Tempest

My first build for this GB is a Hawker Tempest II of 33 Sqn, based at Kuala Lumpur in 1951 during the Malayan Emergency.

Specifically, this one:

000.jpg

Here's what I will be using:

001.jpg

Kit:

1169 Eduard 1/48 Tempest V

Resin:

CV001 MDC Tempest II conversion set

AC48001C Alley Cat corrected Tempest rear fuselage

BR48004 Baracudacast Firefly/Tempest wheels (late)

48080 Ultracast Typhoon Tempest-style tailplanes

Decals:

MAS-489021 RAF Tempests

Not shown are the rockets from a couple of Airfix Seafire XVIIs

As you can see, that's a lot of resin! There is even more included with the kit, as there is a complete resin cockpit. It's a bit of a major conversion as well. In fact, 65% of the fuselage has to be sawn off and discarded. :yikes:

To be honest, this one is scaring me. :door:

Edited by Enzo Matrix

That's a big brute of an aircraft! I've never even heard of the Tempest MkII (i thought you'd posted a Sea Fury photoby mistake). As I have the same tempest kit in the loft, I thought I'd pick up a few tips for my build but there won't be a lot of Eduard left when you are done. Nevertheless, this will be one for me to watch.

Go for it Enzo! One of my all time favourite a/c - just standing next to the one at Hendon gives me a real rush - but all that resin is the only way to go in 1/48

That's a big brute of an aircraft! I've never even heard of the Tempest MkII (i thought you'd posted a Sea Fury photoby mistake).

The Sea Fury was the next step along in the Hawker evolution - effectively it was the sports version of the Tempest II.

And now you can see the madness in my method. :fool: I already have a Hurricane on my display shelf. This GB will give me a Typhoon and a Tempest. I can build a Sea Fury for the FAA GB. And if we ever have a Prototype GB, I can build a Hawker Tornado for that one! The Tornado was sort of a Typhoon wing with a Hurricane fuselage.

lovely

i always wanted to build a malayan based tempest.......will be watching this......are all those goodies as listed obtainable so i can have a go at the same thing.....i know the kitty is .....pickec and put back many times.......

best regards

mr b

are all those goodies as listed obtainable so i can have a go at the same thing

Alley Cat Tempest tail

MDC Tempest II conversion

The following are not strictly necessary.

BarracaudaCast Tempest Wheels - The Alley Cat set has some decent wheels included but they have smooth tyres which are more suited to wartime Tempests. .

The Ultracast Tempest tailplanes Likewise, the Alley Cat set has correct tailplanes. I'm just being lazy and using the Ultracast ones so I can droop the elevators. :D

You may want to grab the Model Alliance decal sheet as soon as you can because it is now OOP with the demise of Model Alliance. Hannants have limited stocks.

You may want to grab the Model Alliance decal sheet as soon as you can because it is now OOP with the demise of Model Alliance. Hannants have limited stocks.

I have one of these and some of the options will be going begging (not the natural metal Tempest II or the grey-and-brown Tempest VI, though). Anyone interested, drop me a PM.

So let me get this right; resin nose conversion + resin rear fuselage correction + resin cockpit = cut the cockpit sides from the fuselage and discard the rest? :lol:

Love the Tempest II so will be glued to this thread.

Save the cut off bits for a what if!

Hmmm... what an excellent idea. What if Rolls-Royce had abandoned development of the Griffon, forcing Supermarine to put a Sabre engine on the Spitfire XIV?

Hmmm... what an excellent idea. What if Rolls-Royce had abandoned development of the Griffon, forcing Supermarine to put a Sabre engine on the Spitfire XIV?

...moving the radiators from under the wing and installing outwards swinging undercarriage for stability...

:thumbsup: At least you can use the Academy kit without all that concern about just how wrong the nose shape is.

Do it Enzo, there's a What-if GB coming soon. If you don't want to, I call dibs on your offcuts!

Take the money! Open the box!!! :fool:

This is what is in the box.

Very little of it will actually be used! The cockpit parts are redundant, as you'll see later. The tailplane parts will be replaced by resin. So it's basically the fuselage halves (and not all of those!) and the undercarriage doors.

002.jpg

I'll be hacking big chunks out of the wings.

003.jpg

Once again, any cockpit parts are redundant, as are the wheels, exhausts, drop tanks, spinners and one set of prop blades. The other set of prop blades will be cut down.

I'll keep the drop tanks and use them on a Sea Fury build.

004.jpg

Phwoar! Look at all that lovely resin! :wub: A complete cockpit. No... this isn't an aftermarket set. It comes in the kit!

006.jpg

And there is also pre-painted PE. :wub: again.

005.jpg

Now lets look at the resin. I must confess to being a bit of a resin junkie!

This is the Alley Cat set. The kit's rear fuselage is about 5mm too short and the fin is very thick and chunky. This set addresses the problems admirably and also includes some better tailplanes, wheels with far better detail and a new tailwheel, again with better detail and a seperate rudder.

007.jpg

The MDC Tempest II conversion set. It has a complete new nose, new inner leading edges for the wings and a new spinner.

008.jpg

Finally, the Ultracast tailplanes and Barracudacast wheels. To be honest these are a bit of an extravagance. The Alley Cat set has perfectly excellent tailplanes. The Ultracast set is actually intended for the Hasegawa Typhoon, as many late-build Typhoons had Tempest tailplanes. You can see this set being used properly in my Typhoon build. Linky

The Alley Cat set also has some excellent wheels, but they are only really suitable for a wartime Tempest. These Barracudacast wheels are definitely a post-war fit.

009.jpg

Hell's bells Enzo! I've got one upstairs and I haven't even opened the box for a look yet*. That resin is quality stuff, no?

Indeed it is. The Eduard Tempest attained an almost legendary status when it was first released a few years ago, despite the fact that the cockpit was basic. For five years people had been begging Eduard to repop the kit. When they did, they added this resin and PE and released a very small run. Those kits sold out within days and people clamoured for more! I think Eduard were surprised at the demand for the kit so they did another production run. Most of those are sold out now and the kit is becoming rarer again. I have two others in the stash.

If anyone is considering getting this kit, I cannot recommend it highly enough. Okay, the rear fuselage and fin is a bit wrong, but Alley Cat will sort that out easily enough. And if you can live with the tail error - many people can - then the box has everything you could possibly need. Plastic... resin... PE... masks... all good!

It's really quite daunting when you come to hack up an expensive kit like this. You've just got to bite the bullet and get on with it!

No going back now! :lol:

Only ever hacked a Mil-4 kit, which wasn't that cheap. Still it is totally worth it, Really like the look of this and love all that resin! Good luck with the build...