Potez 25 TOE +++ FINISHED+++

Ace!

Thanks Don :) (Subliminal Wimbledon?)

I don't think you're going to get many super-geek modelers peering in with a torch and saying 'ermm, :confused: Actually I don't think that stringer is located in the proper position for a late 20s built Potez 25 A2 in Paraguayan service... :hmmm: '

Will

Too true Will! Part of the appeal of subjects like this is that you can get away with any number of liberties ;)

Here's the latest update - some lovely PE to lift the cockpit. In addition to these 3D parts, there are also half a dozen or so levers and minor panels to add interest.

P1080281.jpg

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 1

Thanks Don :) (Subliminal Wimbledon?)

Cheers

Cliff

Certainly not. I detest all forms of sport. I'd spoilsport if I could! Burn it all with it's own bloody torch!

For me 'Ace' is more likely to be:

23.jpg

or

Ace-300x225.jpg

or your outstanding modelling!

Edited by per ardua ad ostentationem

• 1 month later...

Almost two months have slipped by and hardly a thing done on the Potez - until this Bank Holiday weekend that is.....

P1080452.jpg

The cockpit is now complete and when I've posted this, the fuselage sides will be joined together - always a bit of a landmark :)

Cheers

Cliff

Edited by CliffB
  • Like 1

This week's update - fuselage and most flying surfaces assembled (the Scarff ring is balanced there, just for show!)

P1080457.jpg

P1080458.jpg

No real nightmares, just a lot of laborious sanding and fettling.

I tried to make the wings as thin as possible (they are formed from upper and lower halves), but very quickly they started to snap as I sanded them. The plastic is incredibly weak, although thankfully it glues OK. There is no way that I'm going going to be able to use the struts and other fine parts.

Thanks for watching.

Cliff

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to be moving at a snail's pace at the moment with the Potez.....

Some good news though as, despite all my expectations, the under-carriage parts proved strong enough to use.

P1080467.jpg

Looking back, it's the parts on the sprue containing the wings which have crumbled or snapped - the parts on the other sprue seem OK.

I've also been fettling the upper wing and once that's finished I'm looking forward to getting some paint on this weekend.

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 1

A very brave build Cliff... it looks to be a horrible kit :S

Yes Mike, in many ways pretty horrible - in other ways though not too bad, at least the important bits fit together OK :)

Here's an update for today.

Started off with the kit in primer and some pre-shading added.

P1080471_zpsabdf9a1d.jpg

I've also been thinking about the markings. I'm using Blue Rider sheets for all my Chaco War aircraft (to maintain colour consistency), and the 25 TOE on their sheet is number 13. By coincidence, number 13 is also one of the options provided on the original HitKit decal sheet.

No. 13 was unusual as it had 'unofficial' under-wing roundels that had been modified in the field to incorporate a star motif (the standard Paraguayan roundel is exactly like a French one). Presumably the mod was to help recognition for Paraguayan ground troops (the enemy Bolivian aircraft having simple roundels too).

There's great uncertainty about exactly what colours were used. In the photo above, the roundel on the left is the HitKit take - this matches the black and white photos, but has reversed the blue and reds of the centre dot and outer rings (relative to the standard Paraguayan roundel).

The central decal is the Blue Rider version. This matches the description given in the 'standard' text book on the Chaco air war, but lacks the outer ring visible in all photos.

The decal on the right is my interpretation - I've simply over-painted a yellow star on top of a standard Paraguayan roundel. This seems to me to the most likely field mod - I've used yellow because that's the colour of the star on the Paraguayan national flag and also of the star on the Potez's tail markings! :banghead: . We'll probably never know the truth though.....

I've subsequently put some green paint on.

P1080473_zpscc57aff5.jpg

The standard text describes this as Dark Green, closely matching FS34079. I understand that this matches with Tamiya XF-61 Dark Green, which is what I've used. It's incredibly dark though!

I don't really have a problem with this (it hides all the blemishes and will look cool with the markings), it's just not what I was expecting - it also means that my pre-shading is completely invisible!

Looking forward to the decals next...

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 1

Today's update (trying hard to get this finished in time...)

The decal's are on and over-coated with varnish.

P1080474_zpsf7d4dd43.jpg

The Blue Rider decals are pretty good - strong and with excellent colour density (the white 13s work well and capture the hand-pained look beautifully).

The only downside is that the decals are quite thick - I made a mistake in using the decals for the rudder markings (softening solutions did help though). I think there will need to be plenty of oil streaks on the rudder to disguise the mess :coolio: !

I've also been thinking about bomb racks. There's nothing provided in the kit and my own references weren't a lot of help. CarLos to the rescue though (thanks again CarLos :cheers:), and I was able to get a reasonable appreciation of what the racks look like.

When on CAS duties, the Paraguayan 25s were fitted with a 'salvo rack' under each lower wing. These carried six (or possibly 12?), small bombs each and had a complex lattice frame structure. There was no way that I would be able to create an accurate representation in 1/72, but when trawling through my spares box I found a couple of bits of PE which seem to capture the spirit, at least, of what the racks look like.

P1080472_zps91b54256.jpg

So I'll be using these!

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 1

It's obviously been a bit of a battle in place Cliff, but that is awesome - how good does she look with a coat of paint on? Great stuff

Thanks Andy. You are right, the paint has transformed it - I'm almost fond of it now!

Tonight has seen a first for me - the first use of my Aeroclub biplane jig.

The first stage is to mount the aircraft using its lower wings...

P1080475.jpg

Then the upper wing is positioned...

P1080476.jpg

It all went very smoothly - although it quickly became apparent that I hadn't fitted the lower wings quite as straight and true as I had thought. The jig shows up every imperfection!

Tomorrow will see another first for me - using brass Strutz :boom:

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 1

That jig looks like some form of medieval torture device! Kind of appropriate given how hard you've had to work knocking this one into the great shape it is.

• Like 1

Thanks Col. The jig actually worked really well.

The instructions are quite off-putting, but in fact it's really pretty intuitive to use. The only problem I had was some slight paint abrasion - this wasn't hard to sort out with the dark green paint, but would be a big issue with a NMF. I will need to get some padding sorted out for future builds....

So, just in time I'm finished :)

P1080483.jpg

More photos in the GB Gallery.

As I promised, here's a photo showing the Potez in the context of my Chaco War collection (such as it is a present) - there's a long way to go!

P1080487.jpg

The two at the front are Paraguayan, the remainder are Bolivian - I'll be re-dressing the balance slightly with my next build (Interwar GB).

Thank you for your support and interest throughout the build.

:cheers:

Cliff

• Like 5

Wonderful Cliff, just wonderful. She looks a stunner and you must be proud of how she turned out! Looks great alongside her contemporaries too

• 3 years later...

Beautiful work on this basic kit...And the result! Mine Potez is still in stash, I am building up my courage to start it one day...

Best regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 1

• 1 month later...