1/48 81st TFW A-10A

My build will depict an A-10 on delivery to the 81st TFW at Bentwaters in January 1979. It will be in the early two-tone grey scheme and carrying a pair of long-range tanks.

I will be backdating the Hobby Boss A-10 and cross-kitting some parts from a donor Monogram A-10. Also have lots of resin and etch! :)

GEDC2464a.jpg

GEDC2462a.jpg

Graham

Edited by ghaynes

I may not use them Chris. They look like they will be a right sod to fit!

Regards.

Graham

The Royal resin ones are very nice,I used ones from the Italeri kit on my build.

The kits ones are so wrong,I would replace them if you can?

Shaun.

Made a brief start tonight.

Started back dating the fuselage to represent an A-10 on delivery to the 81st TFW in January 1979.

The two fairings that cover the circular and slotted gun gas vents were removed and the holes filled with Milliput. Also circled in this photo is the AN/ALR-69 Radar Warning Receiver antenna which is to be removed. There are four in total of these to remove - two on the nose and two on the rear fuselage:

GEDC2466.jpg

The circular vent was drilled out and the slotted vents will be re-scribed. All four AN/ALR-69 antennas have been removed:

GEDC2468.jpg

Other work carried out tonight was assembly of the wings, spoilers and flaps and preparation of the Aires cockpit.

Kind Regards.

Graham

Edited by ghaynes

Panel lines for the slime lights on the forward fuselage filled. Gun gas louvred panel re-scribed. The latter looks better in the flesh than it does in the photo! :)

A10-005.jpg

A light sand and a light coat of primer

A10-008.jpg

Tanks re-scribed and primed

photo1.jpg

I'll be using the vertical tails from the Monogram kit, not only because they have the more accurate raised rivet detail but mainly because they lack the LASTE antennas on the HobbyBoss ones.

A10-004.jpg

Graham

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I'd better add an update on the build as it had dropped to the second page!

This very nearly ended up in the bin solely due to the Aires cockpit being a right PITA to fit. Got there in the end but still have no idea why it proved so difficult! Here's where I am at now.

Fuselage all together. Hole for GPS antenna filled.

96408770.jpg

f0f5ba1b.jpg

Wings fitted with pylons from the Monogram kit....not something I would recommend doing again although it seemed a good idea at the time! :mental:

33bc04cf.jpg

e52e9de5.jpg

Engines.....found these a really poor fit which resulted in some re-scribing required!

17f50969.jpg

Tanks and vertical tails (from the Monogram kit) painted and ready for decalling.

53c0a85b.jpg

Miscellaneous cockpit parts sprayed black.

7ef7e857.jpg

Onwards and upwards! :)

Graham

Edited by ghaynes

Nice work Graham - beating it into submission! I'm still contemplating starting the Italeri version for the GB...

• 2 weeks later...

Thought it was about time to post an update. Not had too many issues since the Aires pit and the engine nacelles. Just applied a coat of primer and noticed I still need to do a bit more re-scribing...bugger! Hopefully I can get this done tonight as I'm trying to juggle this build with a commision build of an 81st TFW F-4D Phantom (amongst others)! I need more spare time! :rambo:

Anyway, here's the pics:

Untitled12.jpg

Untitled11.jpg

Untitled13.jpg

Cheers.

Graham

Seeing this brings back memories of watching them when i was living in Suffolk. I've just picked up a cheap 48th 2 seater it may get built rather sooner than I planned.

That's a nice build so far and very fast.

Edited by SleeperService
  • Like 1

Similar to Sleeper Service, remember going to Benwaters & Woodbridge to see the A-10's when they first arrived, fantastic aircraft to watch being flung around. Good to see an early version being made up.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...