Making internal bulkheads?

Radleigh

Hi guys, fairly simple one here..

I'm on a tight budget at the moment, so no expensive foams, no expensive tools etc...

I need to work out how to get a bulkhead made, and have it near perfect. I need about 4 or 5 all of different shapes? Has anyone got any tips on how to get an internal shape of a fuselage to do this?

Many thanks,

Radleigh...

Well... "profile gauges" come in a wide range of prices from less than £3 to £25 or so on ebay, so I don't know if they qualify as "expensive" tools. Otherwise, use Milliput - wipe the surface with kitchen oil first to stop it sticking, press a lump of Milliput in place, and when it's set remove and saw through at the right cross section point. Or use Plasticene, but chill it down in the fridge or freezer before pulling out and slicing with a very sharp knife -- and bear in mind you'll probably still get a bit of "squish" so allow for that after transferring the shape...

Alternatively, use the "suck it and see" method to make a template -- cut a long strip of plastic card, the depth of the fuselage, and cut the end so that it looks about right. Hold it in position and see where it's too "high," then shave away those bits gently. Start with a sharp knife, and as it gets nearer use a sanding stick or cushioned nail file to take less and less off. Once it fits, mark the fuselage edges, and use it as a template to draw the full bulkhead shape on some more card, flipping it to do the opposite half.

bestest,

M.

A profile/contour gauge is a good buy. Dont know about the UK but my contour gauge cost less than a pack of Milliput!

I put off buying one for years, not because of the price per se but because I have a genetic problem that makes opening my wallet near impossible! Once I splashed out I wonder how I managed without it.

Regards Dave

An alternative is to use a medium thickness but still malleable length of fuse wire.

Bend around the relvevant contour ensuring that you have a length of half an inch spare at either end. then place on a sheet of plasticard and secure at the top and bottom with some tape over the spare length at either end. Trace the contour then flip over for the other side and repeat the process. Then cut out the traced shape.

Trevor