1/48 A-37 Dragonfly

I've been waiting for this GB for quite a while!

I've got big plans to build the Encore models boxing of the A-37 Cessna Dragonfly as a Vietnam machine.

I've also been collecting bits and references to have a go at making a diorama of the jet being prepared for flight. I hope it's not too big a project, but il give it a go! I'll aim to get the aircraft done at least!

I'll update this thread this evening with the spruce shots etc but for now here's a link to an image to show what I'm aiming for:

http://donmooreswartales.files.wordpress.c...utgen-plane.jpg

But more work going on than posing for the camera!

Phil

Edited by SaintsPhil

Ok so here's some pics:

89533a40.jpg

Nice box art!

abb0bb49.jpg

Sprues

6080df7d.jpg

Resin extras, full pit, wheels, bombs and rocket pods and refuelling probe

aa82f1d0.jpg

Eduard PSP base, with fuse and wings for size!

43bd0821.jpg

Might not use all of this but at least the bomb loader and trolley

9ed3d5e3.jpg

Some figures to add some life!

Going to have to sratch build the revetments I think! I'll have a think how between now and Saturday...

Yeah for an oldish kit it's very nice! Details good, even without the resin bits. Being a Monogram kit it's raised detail, but that kind of works I think! It is very small, comparable to the 1/72 Harriers I've got on the bench!!

Hi Phil

It's a lovely little kit - not a lot of room for the weights in the nose if I remember right unless Encore have solved that themselves. Mine still is marginal in staying on all three wheels!

Hi,

Are you going to have the crew posed as in the reference picture with another crew member actually taking the reference photo?

No, the pic was more to illustrate the revetments I'm going to attempt to replicate.

I'm going for more like this:

http://8thattacksqdnassoc.tripod.com/Pics/...iefsBobMead.jpg

But with weapons being loaded from the trolley!

I'm hoping this will be available in time

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/GE48011

Hi Phil

It's a lovely little kit - not a lot of room for the weights in the nose if I remember right unless Encore have solved that themselves. Mine still is marginal in staying on all three wheels!

Thanks for heads up Andy

The Encore instructions suggest 2g of lead foil crammed between nose and top of wheel well!! I assume the resin pit helps some.

To be honest as its going on a base I can always pin the front wheel down I guess...

But with a huge cockpit so loads of scope for fiddly bits. Fine choice

You can say that again! Each control stick is 3 resin parts!!

Phil

Well best get an update in! Popular GB, my thread is almost all way down the bottom already!!

I've been busy on the lovely resin cockpit

393f1dec.jpg

c1c66814.jpg

b332f12d.jpg

Sorry about the crap pictures but my camera refused to focus for some reason so I has to revert to the iPhone. I may get the booth out and take some better ones as these don't do either the resin or my attempts at painting justice! The one issue was my choice of grey is a bit dark, not a good match to the PE IP but never mind!!

I've stuck the front wheel well in as well, unfortunately you have to fit the front gear leg now so I've painted it with Alclad Aluminium.

I managed to cram a decent amount of weight in between the wheel well and fuselage half too, so hopefully it'll sit on its gear....

Just noticed I forgot to take a shot of the seats which are done too, but they're not going in yet anyway!

Should get the fuselage closed up next.

Phil

Spectacular improvement over the original. I was looking at mine the other day and it's looking a little 'tired' - a long term project might be to re-do her using this kit. So I will be watching :popcorn:

Another update, got a bit of time to work on it over weekend

abefb6e8.jpg

Airframe pretty much done, just need to sort the seams and add some smaller bits before a coat of primer.

I've also made a start on the bits for the diorama, some figures painted and the ground equipment built and partly painted

I'll post some pics once their a bit further on and I can be bother to get the photo booty out!!

Phil

Ok further update, tedious bits done, mainly the masking, and it's now primed

31d2b272.jpg

The keen of eye may also notice I've sprayed some Alclad Aluminium on the leading edges to attempt to replicate the chipped paint on this aircraft at the time of the final flight. I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to do it yet, I was going to try the salt technique but I'm not entirely sure how successful it'll be with the Camo scheme but we'll see!

Also I've been making progress on the ground crew

fe772d93.jpg

For my first figures in a fair few years I'm pretty happy with them!

Now to think about making those revetments.....

Do love these aircraft, when in Vietnam I went to the Army Museum and they have one there.. Really small aircraft, yet really smart!

I know what you mean, this is completely out of my normal scope but something just drew me to this aircraft!

A bit of progress to show

1c986392.jpg

Underside painted, I'm not 100% happy with the work on the seams, I was a bit cautious not to lose the raised detail and didn't do the best job as a result, oh well it won't show on the dio.....

Speaking of which a couple more bits arrived today

3750c304.jpg

1d5b12af.jpg

I've built the weapons carts, but I'll save the PE bits for a day when I'm feeling more patient!

Phil

Hi Phil

Love the build ,got it in a Monogram Box with a black cockpit, will be watching your`s

keep it up

wellzy :headphones:

Edited by wellzy