1/48 Revell B-1B Lancer, OEF, 2012 - Finished!

Looking good Dave,

You're certainly belting through this kit!! Fastest B-1 build I ever saw!!

Have you seen all the issues around fitting the CE cans?? In my opinion they are too small?

Keep it up Dave!!

Thanks mate. I find that breaking it into sections and treating each as an individual model is the best way to tackle it, but, to be fair, the cockpit section is probably the easiest bit!

I've read some mixed reviews on them, and the need to extend the Nacelle by about 7mm. I plan to do this by using the CE cans a base and building up layers of putty to the level of the Nacelle. i think i read somewhere that the dimensions of the CE exhausts were actually bang on, but I can't remember where!

Hope to have another bit done over the weekend.

Dave

That's coming along nicely and quickly too !! I've got one of these in the stash which intimidates me. I've decided to keep it for my retirement when I'll have the time to get really stuck in.

That's coming along nicely and quickly too !! I've got one of these in the stash which intimidates me. I've decided to keep it for my retirement when I'll have the time to get really stuck in.

Thanks mate. It is quite intimidating I must say! But I'm enjoying it do far, though the big improvements needed are still ahead!

Dave

Thanks folks, glad you like it. Will hopefully have a bit more done in the next few days as i'm on a long weekend!

I'm watching this one come together fast Dave, I don't know where you find the time to keep pulling these of the production line. Loving what I've seen so far bud

Cheers Chris. I try to get about 6 hours a day at it on my days off. Not much really!

Looking good Dave. Its tempting me to make a start on mine.

Thanks mate. Hope you find something helpful/useful in this thread!

Dave

A bit more to show this afternoon. Added the Eduard etch to the bomb-bays:

IMG_2632.jpg

IMG_2634.jpg

The main landing gear bay detailed, weathered and ready to be installed:

IMG_2638.jpg

I moved on to the nacelles. The small lumps at the exhaust end are from the B-1A and so need to be removed. I did this, added the front sections and added a considerable amount of filler to close everything up:

IMG_2631.jpg

IMG_2635.jpg

I then moved on to the CRL's (conventional rotary launchers) for the front and centre bomb bays. The kit parts are very plain, so I had to do something. I assembled some wire, lead cable and scrap resin to detail them. Here's my half arsed attempt:

IMG_2639.jpg

IMG_2640.jpg

IMG_2641.jpg

Not accurate or tidy by any means, but it adds some detail to an otherwise bland area. The JDAM's will cover most of it anyway.

Next up is to finish detailing the bomb bays, scratch-build the Conventional Weapon Module for the aft bomb bay and start painting the bombs themselves.

More to follow.

Dave

Maybe I should find room for one of these. You are making it look very good so far. Painting will be the challenge I think.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/B-1B-Lancer-Land...f#ht_810wt_1102

Have you seen these Dave?

Thanks Don, glad you like it so far.

I have indeed, and that's the seller I bought the landing gear from! Looks very nice.

Dave

Dave,

I'm very impressed with your work on it so far. Sure that some of those photos are not from the cockpit simulators at Dyess or Elsworth ? Or maybe from the old Rockwell plant.

I look forward to see more of this.

Regards,

Gerard

Dave,

I'm very impressed with your work on it so far. Sure that some of those photos are not from the cockpit simulators at Dyess or Elsworth ? Or maybe from the old Rockwell plant.

I look forward to see more of this.

Regards,

Gerard

Thanks Gerard. Should have some more progress this afternoon.

Dave

Some more progress this afternoon. First up, i glued the main wheel bay to the lower fuselage:

IMG_2649.jpg

Was quite tricky to get to sit right. I ended up piling about 6 hardback books on top to weight it down. Windshield was attached next:

IMG_2650.jpg

Once dry I will mask it and the other windows off. Next, i painted the first batch of 6 JDAM's:

IMG_2648.jpg

I also heavily weathered them as per recent pictures of jets 'in theatre' that I have seen. The biggest job of the day was painting all the details in the bomb bays. Took me about 3 and half hours. Once dry, i dirtied them all up:

IMG_2643.jpg

IMG_2646.jpg

I moved on and painted my crude CRL's:

IMG_2642.jpg

Attached some scrap decals too. As all that was drying, i began work on the updated DAS (Defensive Avionics System) under the tail. This is simply a wedge shaped 'bump' as seen in the Daco book:

IMG_2651.jpg

If I was sophisticated, I would have tried a resin piece but since i'm not, i slopped on some putty and began to mould it to shape:

IMG_2652.jpg

Will need a few applications and a good bit of sanding to get the correct shape. Finally for today, I attached the first lot of JDAM's to the forward CRL:

IMG_2653.jpg

IMG_2654.jpg

The B-1B has the ability to carry 8 of these 2000lb weapons on each CRL but due to the cramped nature of the kit, I could only manage 5 without it looking like crap and all the bomb fins touching. I Dropped the 1 penetrator warhead i had for the front bay and will instead load this into the centre CRL with 3 others and 1 conventional JDAM.

Next up is to add the front CRL to the bomb-bay, paint the remaining bombs and get them attached, tidy up the DAS and begin work on the Conventional Weapon Module, which will be fun as my scratch-building ability is poor at best!

More to come.

Dave

5 hours of modelling this afternoon, and a bit of progress to show. Firstly, I painted and weathered the second lot of 2000lb JDAM's:

IMG_2657.jpg

Once dry, I attached them to their CRL:

IMG_2663.jpg

IMG_2664.jpg

In between this, I began what was going to be one of the, if not the, biggest scratchbuild job for the kit; the construction of the CWM for the 500lb GBU-38's. Looking at the picture below and armed with a sharp knife, card, pencil and glue, i set to work.

IMG_0870a.jpg

(Please note this image is not mine, using it as reference only)

As a base, i used half of the kits auxiliary fuel tank. After some rough cutting and dry fitting, here is my attempt:

IMG_2668.jpg

IMG_2667.jpg

IMG_2666.jpg

Some areas still need evened out, straightened and tidied up. Doesn't look like much and it's not very accurate but it will have to do!

The 2000lb JDAM CRL is currently drying in it's respective bomb-bay. Once it has set, i'll post a few pictures.

Next up is to paint the CWM and GBU-38's, attach the 3 bomb-bays to the fuselage and hopefully start some of the sanding work.

More to come.

Dave

Edited by DaveJL

Ok, here is bomb-bay number 2 complete and ready to be installed:

IMG_2669.jpg

IMG_2671.jpg

And the two CRL bays together:

IMG_2672.jpg

It still amazes me that the B-1 can carry 24 of these 2000lb weapons!

Anyway, onward we go.

Dave