1/48 Revell B-1B Lancer, OEF, 2012 - Finished!

Ha ha, its like Leeloo says in Korben Dallas' cab in The Fifth Element.... Big badaboom!

I can imagine! I remember seeing one drop a stick of bombs in one of Ross Kemp's documentaries about Afghanistan. Full volume and surround sounds scared the crap out of me and that was only through the TV!!

Haha I wouldn't image the 'bones need to drop anything to qualify for close air support! All you need to do is youtube 'B-1B show of force' to realise quite how impressive these birds are :lol:

Can't wait to see this come together!

Edited by DannyB

Haha I wouldn't image the 'bones need to drop anything to qualify for close air support! All you need to do is youtube 'B-52 show of force' to realise quite how impressive these birds are :lol:

Can't wait to see this come together!

Something like

or
:lol:

Dave

Hi Dave

How did you manage to get hold of the SHull bits for this? Looking forward to seeing it come together :)

Thanks, Henry

Henry,

I contacted Shawn directly. He was very helpful. You can also order through the catalog and then paypal cart (Shawn's own directions to me). The parts arrived less than a week after i'd ordered them and Shawn threw in some Tootsie rolls as a gift :lol:

Dave

Edited by DaveJL

Cheers for that Dave, I just assumed I couldnt order from there anymore! Think I will order the B-1B extras straight away.

Thanks, Henry

Nor did I mate until I spoke to Shawn

Dave

Brought together all the aftermarket as i had confused myself with what I had bought :lol:

IMG_2487.jpg

Yes that is everything! Also collected together the rag-tag bunch of JDAM's that will go in the bomb bays. All came from the spares, apart from 2 donations. (thanks John!) I've a few impact fused GBU-38's and i plan to buy a packet of resin examples with airburst fuses. There are some standard GBU-31's, an airburst GBU-31 and three GBU-31 (v) 3/b (or 'bunker buster' warheads to make it easier!)

IMG_2488.jpg

Quite an eclectic mix, but should add some dimension to the model and hopefully illustrate this machines ability and versatility!

Dave

:popcorn: Great to see this, brings back some painful memories!!

Glad someone sorted out the Bone's CAS role, anything that can fly from Diego Garcia to Afghanistan, hang around for 90 minutes and then drop 6x 2,000lb JDAMs on anything that looks nasty is a soldier's friend!

Wow Dave - quite a hoard! Just how long is this GB? ;)

Cliff

err... that's a good question Cliff!! I think it's September. May need a host to clear that one up :lol:

Dave

:popcorn: Great to see this, brings back some painful memories!!

Glad someone sorted out the Bone's CAS role, anything that can fly from Diego Garcia to Afghanistan, hang around for 90 minutes and then drop 6x 2,000lb JDAMs on anything that looks nasty is a soldier's friend!

Thanks mate! I've been reading over your build threads and the 'B-1 builders' thread on ARC. I think my main concern is the Conventional Weapons Launcher and the problem you highlighted with the length of the kits engine nacelles. Other than that i'm not too worried :lol:

Just need to get plenty of paint! Think i'll get a few tamiya rattle cans for this one.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Ok a start has been made on this beast....

Added some of the eduard etch parts to the cockpit:

IMG_2559.jpg

The pilots section:

IMG_2562.jpg

The detail on the console is quite nice so I don't think i'll use the eduard part for this. The seats were made up next, minus the eduard straps and other details:

IMG_2561.jpg

Forward wheel bay was made up, with the replacement strut from SAC inserted too. The detail in the wells is fantastic:

IMG_2563.jpg

Tail section built up:

IMG_2564.jpg

Horizontal stabilisers:

IMG_2560.jpg

Wings:

IMG_2565.jpg

...and to give an idea of size:

IMG_2566.jpg

Yes, that is a 1/48 Tomcat!!

Next up is to crack on with the cockpit assembly.

More to come.

Dave

Thought you might have deployed the flaps for this one Dave, just to make you even more bonkers :analintruder: Just kidding! It really is a monster isn't it? Great start, the Monogram kits always had very good detail in the wheel bays. Like how the seats have armrests!

Joel

Thought you might have deployed the flaps for this one Dave, just to make you even more bonkers :analintruder: Just kidding! It really is a monster isn't it? Great start, the Monogram kits always had very good detail in the wheel bays. Like how the seats have armrests!

Joel

No chance of that Joel!! Still don't know where i'm going to put it with the wings swept, never mind extended!!

It certainly is big. Will be the biggest and most demanding project i've ever done. Hope I can get it finished before the GB deadline.

Dave

So does SWMBO know that you're making this yet?

It's going to be really quite massive!

An insane project - excellent!!

Not sure what that means...but if it refers to wife, then no, as I don't have one! 22 is too young for that carry on :lol:

But yes, it is going to be the biggest and most expensive build i've ever done!

Dave

Stone me, that's a monster!

...and the wing isn't even half the length of the fuselage!