1/48 Revell B-1B Lancer, OEF, 2012 - Finished!

Hello all,

Here is my second entry for this GB. The monster that is Revell's B-1B Lancer.

IMG_2423.jpg

IMG_2424.jpg

To give you an idea of size:

IMG_2425.jpg

I'm 5'11 and this thing nearly reaches my waist when stood upright!

Reference material (thanks to Mike for the loan)

IMG_2426.jpg

Decals. Undecided on which scheme to do:

IMG_2427.jpg

In terms of aftermarket, I have a set of the Cutting Edge burner cans and exhausts on the way along with a set of Shull24's ALE-50 towed decoy fairings and B-1 specific Sniper pod and pylon. I'll also be ordering Eduards etched set, SAC metal landing gear and a couple of tins of Tamiya Gunship grey! I plan to add some details to the bomb launchers and load them up with various sizes of JDAM and anything else that needs done will be scratchbuilt.

It's a beast and can't wait to get started!

Dave

Edited by DaveJL
  • Like 1

I just picked one of these beasts up today. looks like a challenge eh? I know the resin burners are pretty much impossible to find nowadays, fancy lending me one so i can take a cast?

where did you get the shull24 stuff as his website is saying he's closed for buisness.

cheers

You win the first post award Dave,but then you'll need all the time you can get building this beast I guess!

Looking forward to seeing her come together

Phil

Thanks Phil. Had all the stuff out so thought i'd best get the pictures up :lol:

Dave

The Cutting Edge burner cans and exhausts arrived today:

IMG_2440.jpg

IMG_2441.jpg

They look fairly nice. There's a bit of a casting block on the parts to be removed so hopefully there shouldn't be too many issues with fit. Other than the need to lengthen the kits nacelles which i know are going to be a pain in the bottom!

Dave

Yes, I can see why you'd nominate this as your second build. Something small and easy that you can bash together in those odd few moments when you want a distraction from your Hornet. Something to fill that odd little corner of your display shelf, perhaps? :)

Good luck with the monster!

Yes, I can see why you'd nominate this as your second build. Something small and easy that you can bash together in those odd few moments when you want a distraction from your Hornet. Something to fill that odd little corner of your display shelf, perhaps? :)

Good luck with the monster!

Something like that Don :lol:

Wanted to get the Hornet out of the way to focus on this beast!

Dave

The last of the aftermarket arrived today:

IMG_2469.jpg

That's everything that I can buy, bar Royale Resin wheels which i'm not sure I will get as the kit ones look nice.

Everything else that needs done will be made by myself. Probably the biggest headache will be the Conventional Weapons launcher for the GBU-38's.

Come to think of it, I might buy a set of resin GBU-38's with airburst fuses :lol:

Dave

Wow Dave, that is one fully loaded (with AM) beast! Good luck with the build - personally, I'm a little unsure that the Bone is a CAS a/c - if you are loading it with GBU-38's I wouldn't want to be 'close' to those when they were dropped. However, it's all good - cos I get to watch you tackle this and I'm not a Mod for this GB...

Wow Dave, that is one fully loaded (with AM) beast! Good luck with the build - personally, I'm a little unsure that the Bone is a CAS a/c - if you are loading it with GBU-38's I wouldn't want to be 'close' to those when they were dropped. However, it's all good - cos I get to watch you tackle this and I'm not a Mod for this GB...

GBU-38's are a 500lb weapon...same as the Paveway IV and GBU-12, the latter of which have been used in the CAS role for years by pretty much every jet the US has! F-15E's, F-16's, A-10's, F-14's, F/A-18's, Harriers, B-52's....!!

The '38 is just a smaller version of the 2000lb JDAM. The B-1 has been re-invented (much like the B-52) as a loitering CAS platform, with the integration of the Sniper pod for example. There are a few articles in recent 'Combat Aircraft' magazines that talk about the CAS role.

But yeah, going to be a fun build!

Dave