GB Chat

Hi guys,

is Coin birds also CAS???

I'm slowly starting to build a Tamiya P-51D in 1/32, from Guatemala, it's a Coin aircraft, but is it okay for this GB?

yeah coin ops are in too ...

Andy.

I see the Spitfire in that list ... that's one type I would not have expected - late model Hurricanes, yes, and maybe Seafires (gunnery spotters) but Spitfires?

They did an awful lot of CAS in 43, 44 and 45, especially in Italy but all over Europe really. With the Luftwaffe just about bankrupt, any of the allied fighters that could sling a bomb got involved in the ground war.

http://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Spitfire/MkVc-T...ly-1943-01.html

Edited by per ardua ad ostentationem

Hi all,

Could I ask for advice?

I am building a Marines Corsair (F4-U5) based in Korea. I was wondering how CAS actually worked in the Korean war. I assume they had spotter aircaft observing enemy positions as well as getting radio contact from the troops on the ground? What sort of Aircraft did the US Marines/ Navy/ Airforce use to identify targets for the Corsairs?

Were any other aircraft involved in the process of selecting and eliminating targets during this war?

I quite fancy the idea of building a 'mini collection' of models themed on CAS operations during the war.

Will

Hi all,

Could I ask for advice?

I am building a Marines Corsair (F4-U5) based in Korea. I was wondering how CAS actually worked in the Korean war. I assume they had spotter aircaft observing enemy positions as well as getting radio contact from the troops on the ground? What sort of Aircraft did the US Marines/ Navy/ Airforce use to identify targets for the Corsairs?

Were any other aircraft involved in the process of selecting and eliminating targets during this war?

I quite fancy the idea of building a 'mini collection' of models themed on CAS operations during the war.

Will

I'm pretty sure the British and Commonwealth contingent used Austers and I think the US was similar (Cessna and Piper light utility a/c). From what I've read it was similar to the 'cab-rank' system used in France after D-day - patrol fully armed and use when called.