Taxi for the V Force!

Spad

Well I've been sat on the sidelines watching this GB with great interest as I'm a great fan of the Cold War machinery and the V Force in particular. Been watching only tho' as I cannot right now get into a large model build which has so frustrated. Anyway, I was sifting the stash and suddenly had a brainwave and an excuse to do a build that I've wanted to do for nigh on 40 years ie since the kit came out!

So here it is, the Airfix Beagle Bassett, air-taxi for the V Force crews, introduced into service to ferry the crews around the country and specifically to their aircraft which in times of hostilities would have been dispersed away from the main base. I have the later "Regal Beagle" issue but I will finish it in the conventional scheme - I have got hold of most of an old decal sheet which as you can see is pretty yellowed but it is currently sitting in the window being bleached - we'll see how it goes.

That's it for the moment - just the obligatory sprue shot.

IMG_0016.jpg

cheers

Rick

I've just finished reading 'Flight Path' by Sir Peter Masefield which had a couple of chapters about Beagle Aircraft. It has roused my interest in these RAF types, so I will look forward to seeing this progress.

According to Google, when 207 Squadron was (re)formed as the Strike Command Communications Squadron in February 1969 they also operated Devons and Pembrokes alongside the Bassets, my first question for those who may know more of this era- could we add those to the list of support types we could build for this? Second poser, prior to February '69 the Anson C.19 was used universally in the support role as communications aircraft by all commands and on the 207 sdn Association website I have found a close formation picture of ALL FOUR TYPES - Anson, Basset, Devon & Pembroke flying together in Air Support Command colours so could not just the three post-war types but the Anson also be added to the build list? if the answer to this second question is yes I have the Aeroclub Anson C.19 in the stash already and is ready to go.

David.

Edited by lancfan

A Basset is a brilliant addition to the GB in my view. It would look splendid posed next to a line-up of V's.

...could not just the three post-war types but the Anson also be added to the build list?

David.

An ANSON in a V-Force GB is the most incredible lateral thinking I've heard in ages! Well done.

A Basset is a brilliant addition to the GB in my view. It would look splendid posed next to a line-up of V's.

An ANSON in a V-Force GB is the most incredible lateral thinking I've heard in ages! Well done.

Thanks for that per ardua, I have still not found anything to prove that the other aircraft were used to ferry V-bomber crews I just know that all four types were on strength by the squadron, the Anson retired soon after the Basset first entered service and the Devon and Pembroke continued for some years after, I think they are all potential taxis for the V-force but apart from their use by the unit I have not found anything to actually prove this yet.

David.

Just a thought, but wouldn't a Dominie (HS-125 variety) be appropriate as they were introduced, if I'm not mistaken, to provide high speed flight for V Force Navs in training.

Special needs those boys had - my Dad used to tell me there was a rumour going around the service at that time that the V Force crews had special blue underwear.....! :wicked:

Think he might have been idsappointed when he got onto the tanker force! Ha!

Wasn't it the case that the Bassett was a failure in this role, since it couldn't carry a complete V-Bomber crerw ?

I think it would fit a crew as it was a 7/8 seater - whether it could also take their nav bags and also take off - no idea! Anybody?

Anyway, enough gossip, I need to get some progress posted!

cheers

Rick

Edited by Spad

We still have not got to the bottom of this, fighter and bomber operations are well documented but military taxi services (sorry if anyone was involved and dislikes the description) are not and this unit seemed to operate remotely where needed so the question remains as to which of these aircraft would or could have been used in support of the V-force as part of the deterrent operation in transporting crews to dispersed aircraft.

David.

We still have not got to the bottom of this, fighter and bomber operations are well documented but military taxi services (sorry if anyone was involved and dislikes the description) are not and this unit seemed to operate remotely where needed so the question remains as to which of these aircraft would or could have been used in support of the V-force as part of the deterrent operation in transporting crews to dispersed aircraft.

David.

207 Sqn was the Strike Command Communications Squadron and operated Bassets between '69 to '74, from RAF Northolt. Communications Squadrons shift anything, anywhere more or less (as long as it's clean). I don't think it's impossible that they has a role in moving V crews around from time to time. I'm less inclined to believe that they had a major commitment to this role though.

I was on IX Sqn from '77 to '79 and when we dispersed for Tacevals, the aircrew all travelled in Vulcans, with a crew chief and a FLM. The rest of us got a bus. There was no need to move crews around, they stayed with their jet. However, if there had been an emergency, why not call for a Strike Taxi? (Anyway, it's a more interesting build than a big green bus, which would have been the likely alternative.)

As far as I know there was only ever one 'real' dispersal to the secret dispersal airfields and that was in '62, the Cuban Crisis. In that case the aircraft, aircrew and a few groundcrew went out to individual airstrips, each with a shed full of brand new GSE and stayed there until it was all over. My old sergeant was a part of this and i recall him saying that apart from the aircrew, no-one even knew which county they were in. From this, I assume that the GC were also flown in, though not by Bassett at that time I think.

There lies the problem Don as if this is that specific then we are possibly looking at just a few aeroplanes used for this purpose only for that one period and unless the correct types and serials can be found then maybe these aircraft should be excluded from this GB and carried over to a transport GB at a later date. I think we need an official decision on this before anyone starts a build and gets upset over this. If it comes to chucking these aircraft out I would be happy to suggest a Transport Aircraft GB and volunteer as leader.

David.

There lies the problem Don as if this is that specific then we are possibly looking at just a few aeroplanes used for this purpose only for that one period and unless the correct types and serials can be found then maybe these aircraft should be excluded from this GB and carried over to a transport GB at a later date. I think we need an official decision on this before anyone starts a build and gets upset over this. If it comes to chucking these aircraft out I would be happy to suggest a Transport Aircraft GB and volunteer as leader.

David.

Have you seen what I'm building, David? If I can make up a whole new what-if world within the rules, I'm pretty sure that Rick can do a 'really-quite-likely-and-you-can't-prove-it-didn't-happen' build. Lighten up dude! :)

p.s. Sorry for the thread hijack Rick, this should really have been in the chat section (or a pm to the hosts), I now realise.

Edited by per ardua ad ostentationem

Rick, Can I also apologise for the hi-jack and Don, Rick, I may be over thinking this and after all if I also take the view that non of this can actually be proved at this point I could certainly go ahead and build my Anson 19 as an early V-force comms aircraft, couldn't I? (I think I may have just talked myself into doing just that as a light break in between assembling big lumps of plastic)

David.

Blimey chaps! That got a bit heated! If it's easier and less contentious let's just limit it to the actual bomber types - I'm easy!

Anybody doing a Sperrin yet?

As an aside, see this link

http://rafforum.activeboard.com/t12954724/beagle-basset/

Supports the discussion above that it struggled in it's intended role as it had problems with weight with a V crew and their baggage - the cure for prop strike issues made me chuckle tho'!

Only 20 machines seemed to have been procured - maybe it's failure led to a very short role and a quick transfer to general comms duties?

cheers

Rick

p.s. bleaching the decal sheet is progressing well...

Edited by Spad

Blimey chaps! That got a bit heated!

Historical debate does run like that, it isn't an argument in the sense you saw- it was just an attempt to get at a past truth which is very well hidden as it was not published for or noticed by the public at the time.

I am going to take it that these other aircraft were used generally in this role before the Bassett came on the scene and because of the problems associated with the Beagle the other types (bar the Anson which had retired) would have filled in when required.

Unless someone can academically prove otherwise! :D

So then my Anson will get built as light relief when I have got rid of all these flippin' lines on my victor and finished the model off as my first V-force GB model.

David.

• 2 weeks later...

Things have been a little slow on this project but it will happen.

So far, I have been concentrating on clean-up of the parts which transformed into a "lets re-scribe and rivet it" course of action. The it is liberally covered with boiler rivets - - similar to those on the Chipmunk so you can imagine it needs to go.

However, now I've started I am wondering how bright an idea it was. Take a tip - don't re-scribe and rivet something this small unless you are some kind of masochist!

I'm using a Trumpeter scribing tool for majority of the panels, a small P Cutter for opening hatches (eg the air-stairs conversion is barely represented)as it gives a wider groove and a pin held in a pin-vice with a template for the round and oval panels and inspection hatches.

So far the upper wings are done and I have made some headway into the fuselage halves.

IMG_0002.jpg

The rivetting is very fine and I am wondering how gentle I shall need to be with the airbrush so that I don't swamp it with paint. This is it with a very fine mist over with Tamiya Fine primer. Sorry about the pic quality - bit rushed when I took it.

IMG_0007.jpg

The poor weather seems to have put a stop to the sun-bleaching of the decal sheet - may not be able to use much of it at all at this rate!

That's it for the mo' - I'll try to post a bit more soon.

cheers

Rick

- I have got hold of most of an old decal sheet which as you can see is pretty yellowed but it is currently sitting in the window being bleached - we'll see how it goes.

That's it for the moment - just the obligatory sprue shot.

IMG_0016.jpg

cheers

Rick

For what its worth, may be you could or should replace the roundels, fin flash and serials with those from generic sets by Modeldecal. If you're stuck for these I may be able to help if you let me know which serial you'll use. Sadly the blue lightning flash is the problem Another suggestion here for the flash would be to coat the decal 'once bleached' with Micro Liquid Decal Film of a few coats of Klear.

I refurbed my only Bertie Basset model a little while ago in the very early colour scheme of overall bare metal with just national insignia and serials. Replaced the broken props with spares from an Islander and one of those V shaped Airfix stands as all the undercart was long gone! A photo of it is on BM somewhere.

Edited by Paul J

For what its worth, may be you could or should replace the roundels, fin flash and serials with those from generic sets by Modeldecal. If you're stuck for these I may be able to help if you let me know which serial you'll use. Sadly the blue lightning flash is the problem Another suggestion here for the flash would be to coat the decal 'once bleached' with Micro Liquid Decal Film of a few coats of Klear.

I refurbed my only Bertie Basset model a little while ago in the very early colour scheme of overall bare metal with just national insignia and serials. Replaced the broken props with spares from an Islander and one of those V shaped Airfix stands as all the undercart was long gone! A photo of it is on BM somewhere.

Hi Paul

I think I am reasonably well covered for roundels/serials but thanks for the offer - really appreciated and so typical of the support that this forum so frequently brings!

I recall the re-furb - I liked it a lot and got me scouring the interweb for pics as I hadn't seen that one before; nice!

TBH I had already prepared myself for the sheet being a complete loss - I was chasing the bleaching route as I thought it would be nice to use original kit transfers (as that's what they were in those days!) if at all possible - I was also hoping to be able to use the power door warning stencil at least. There still might be a way yet........

The Transport Command flash will probably be a case of masking and spraying with Roundel Blue. Not decided yet as many years ago I did a Welsh Models Belfast and for that I painted a section of blank decal film with the blue and then cut it out and applied in the normal way.

Wasn't brilliant as it made for a slightly rough edge as you can see below.

BelfastEskimoBelle-0005.jpg

Maybe spray the blue, mask the shape then apply the white/grey after. Still pondering this one.

Meanwhile, re-scribing continues! :hypnotised::wall:

cheers all

Rick

Edited by Spad