Ariel Wires in 1/72 scale

Nigel Heath

I have looked at previous posts on this topic but still have a question on what is the best material to use to simulate ariel wires. I have use stretched sprue in the past but find it breaks too easily. I have aslo purchased some nylon fishing fillament but the finest my local fishing tackle shop had was 0.15 or 0.2mm diameter which looks too thick for 1/72 scale. Aeroclub Lycra thread is recommended in prior posts but this does not seam to be available anymore. EZ Line is also a recommendation but from what I can gather this has a flat rather than circular profile which surely is not right. I recall seeing a fine fillament in one of the UK modelling magazines a few months ago which looked realy good but failed to make a note of it. Does anyone have an idea what this was or any other recommendations?

I have found invisible mending thread in smoke colour to be a good thickness for 1/72. I bought mine from HobbyCraft, but I think it would be possible to find it in any shop that sells sewing supplies.

Edited by ben_m

I made good experience with fly-fishing tying wire called Synton of 0.05mm what is actually smaller diameter than regular human hair. Anyway, for some applicarion is really too thin, especially for british stringbags, so here I go for thicker 0.08mm fishing monofilament.

Human hair works pretty well, its strong and fine, but not so strong that if you snag it you pull the whole model off the shelf.

Luckily my wife has long hair.

Karl

I find EZ line does the job, but use the finer one at .003" size. If you stretch it slightly when applying to the model, the naked eye really can't see any flatness. That's the other benefit, you don't have to cut it to exact length, stretch it into place, hold a few seconds with super glue and done.

Unless of course you plan on blowing the image up to poster size, then you would see a difference.

403146110.jpg

regards,

Jack

I have found invisible mending thread in smoke colour to be a good thickness for 1/72. I bought mine from HobbyCraft, but I think it would be possible to find it in any shop that sells sewing supplies.

+1.

I wouldn't recommend human hair, since thickness at its two ends differs.

This really gets noticeable on some larger plane, which needs a longer wire...

It was very noticeable even on my 1/72 P-38...

I've been using EZ-Line for about a year .03 for 1/48 and 06 for 1/32 I don't have to worry about breaking it as it will stretch about 700 times it own length.

Paul

In 1/72 scale at a viewing distance of 18" the aircraft is effectively 50 feet away. Would the aerial be visible at all?

Probably not, in reality. But that's somehow beside the point, I think. Almost all panel joints would be invisible as well, but the model would look 'nude' without some hint of the main panels, at least certainly the removable ones.

A model isn't 'reality'. It's a free representation of reality, much like a painting, and as a viewer you expect both an impression of 'shrunk reality' and some kind of selective accounting of salient technical features.

Best,

Joachim

In 1/72 scale at a viewing distance of 18" the aircraft is effectively 50 feet away. Would the aerial be visible at all?

Possibly/probably, since the aerials were multi-strand stainless steel, and would reflect the ambient light; this is why my preference has always been for clear stretched sprue (and careful handling.)

Edgar

Possibly/probably, since the aerials were multi-strand stainless steel, and would reflect the ambient light; this is why my preference has always been for clear stretched sprue (and careful handling.)

Edgar

Agree fully.

Having worked around aircraft for 30 odd years, at 50 feet or so there is a hint of wires and panels. Lighting is important. Those that are removable or hinged tend to be more prominent, as do things that readily reflect light.

My personal weathering/detail nirvana is clean panel lines, hinted-at removable panels, and obvious control surfaces. Aerials are barely noticeable, control cables just a bit more so but bracing wires obvious (not a dark color, but just reflective enough to be obvious). The eye should not initally focus on wires, but upon a longer look at the model suddenly come into view as a barely noticable detail. I've a long way to go...

Tim

"I've been using EZ-Line for about a year .03 for 1/48 and 06 for 1/32 I don't have to worry about breaking it as it will stretch about 700 times it own length."

I think this should be 7 times its own length or it stretches 700%, otherwise this is some sort of supermaterial. Anyway I have ordered some EZ Line and I'll see how I get on with it.

Thanks for all the replies.

Nigel

Edgar

..me too ....and/or GS Hypo cement ( sort of UHU glue, that clear, stretchy stuff... ) ....quick and easy.

OK I give up , what is EZ line ?...where can you get it..?

"I've been using EZ-Line for about a year .03 for 1/48 and 06 for 1/32 I don't have to worry about breaking it as it will stretch about 700 times it own length."

I think this should be 7 times its own length or it stretches 700%, otherwise this is some sort of supermaterial. Anyway I have ordered some EZ Line and I'll see how I get on with it.

Thanks for all the replies.

Nigel

Well it's 700% actually my mistake

Paul