Hobbycraft (Canada) Models

chrisov

3 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

The Airfix Banshee is the short fuselage -1/2 whereas the Hobbycraft kit is the long fuselage -3/4. The HC also has recessed panel lines while the Affix one's are raised. 

Well the one I built was certainly based on the Airfix one but it did come from an Academy box which I understood to have HC connections.

3 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

There were a fair number of original releases from Hobbycraft as well:

1/72 DHC-4 Caribou

1/48 P-59 Airacomet

1/144 B-36

1/48 P-35

Although some were let down by poor research

1/48 P-40B/C

I just researched the 1/72 kits I wanted to buy when I was living in Viareggio but never had the courage to do so because the EA-6B and the A-10 verily wee weed me off :D

Luigi

13 hours ago, Paul J said:

Well the one I built was certainly based on the Airfix one but it did come from an Academy box which I understood to have HC connections.

The Academy and HC Banshees are the same kit.

Edited by VMA131Marine

1 hour ago, VMA131Marine said:

The Academy and HC Bashes are the same kit.

There you go then. The Ac/HC moulds  have  mods to the Airfix one, Especially the tail area. Come to think of it the Beaver also has elements of the Airfix kit such as the engine mainly.

4 hours ago, Paul J said:

There you go then. The Ac/HC moulds  have  mods to the Airfix one, Especially the tail area. Come to think of it the Beaver also has elements of the Airfix kit such as the engine mainly.

If anybodys in any doubt .then the very distinctive Banshee engine fronts are the same as the Airfix kit . So it's been based on the short fuselage Airfix kit for sure .a couple of other Academy  copies were their U2 copy of the airfix kit (academy has recessed panel lines and the Academy A10 which copies the Hasegawa kit but again with much nicer recessed Panel lines .not sure if Hobbycraft  issued them tho. In the 80s a LOT of academy and Hobby craft kits were boxed and sold under the IDEAL label. Which is amother brand to search for some of the rarer HC kits for on the Bay

• Like 2

On 5/24/2019 at 9:28 AM, Work In Progress said:

The B-36 is spectacularly lovely. I had it out recently to trade with a friend. I remember the P-35 and P-26 as being pretty good efforts too.

Picked one up this week, a mate knew I was looking for one and grabbed a sealed D for me at the IMSS show in Dublin for me, 25€ so a great deal and certainly a simpler build than the Wessex I just finished. 

8 minutes ago, sniperUK said:

Picked one up this week, a mate knew I was looking for one and grabbed a sealed D for me at the IMSS show in Dublin for me, 25€ so a great deal and certainly a simpler build than the Wessex I just finished. 

And, even in 1/144, it's substantially bigger than a 1/72 Lancaster.

On 5/23/2019 at 5:23 PM, Silverkite said:

Giorgio are sure about those kits rebrands?

In 1/72:

The Tomcat boxing with VF-143 and VF-51 birds on the cover was a poor copy of the earlier Hasegawa F-14, the latter rebox with VF-213 bird on the cover was the Kitech/Zengdfuwhatever kit which was an Italeri copy with recessed panel lines, the only good thing about it were the decals as you could used them together with Twobobs VF-213 sheet

The EA-6B was once a messed up copy of the Hasegawa tooling, had less parts, wing panel lines were raised, crew access ladder was blanked off with a blob of polystyrene and the decals were a mess

The A-10A was quite something, basically a copy of Monogram A-10 tooling and they didn't get anything right, you could get better results by baking a birthday cake and shape it like an A-10

The F-15 once again I think it was a copy of earlier Hasegawa F-15

Jaguar didn't look like Hasegawaish at all

Hornet was something shaped like it

Luigi

You may be right Luigi, I had memories of the Tomcat being based on the Esci kit but may have mistaken this with the 1/48 Mig-23/27 kits.

Interestingly I very recently "passed" on a Hobbycraft Jaguar sold online as the pictures showed something that may have been a low quality hasegawa knockoff. Guess that all kits from that range, like the ones you mention, were illegal copies of other kits.

• Thanks 1