Virgin Atlantic Colour Guidance

Hello chaps,

I've just got my TwoSix Virgin Atlantic A330-300 decals from Ray and wanted to clarify which paint I should be aiming for. I've just read in a previous thread by Busdriver that Tamiya XF-7 Flat Red is a good match for the gloss (non-metallic) red, but the instructions say the fuselage should be Gloss Virgin Grey (Xtracolor X367&368). I'm aiming for this scheme:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Virgin-Atla...343X/2093299/L/

which looks white to me. Is the Virgin Gloss Grey actually for this scheme?:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Virgin-Atla...-642/2094272/L/

I notice some of the A330s seem to have the metallic red finish, but I think I prefer the gloss red.

Any thoughts welcome,

Thanks,

Andrew

Hi Andrew

I'm about to start the same project using Ray's excellent TwoSix decals so I've had a good look at the right colours.

The whole Virgin fleet will have the new metallic red scheme - the first 2 A330s (GVKSS & GVSXY) arrived as the new brand was being developed so still have gloss red rather than metallic. The problem is the metallic red appears very different according to the amount of sunlight. So I had a look at their re-branding website to get an idea of the right colours - http://www.johnsonbanks.co.uk/identity-and...irgin-atlantic/ It also has a video of a 747-400 being repainted at Manchester.

The fuselage is still mica grey as per Ray's paint guide. For gloss red I've done a test with Xtracolor X340 Northwest Red which I think is a pretty close match. To get the metallic red, applying X369 tinted mica topcoat over the gloss red also seems to be quite close.

I'll let you know how things work out. I hope this helps a bit.

Best of luck

Tim

Thanks Tim/Chris,

I take it it's a very pale grey then? Is your Concorde finished with Virgin Grey Chris?

Andrew

EDIT: Just found this thread, which I missed on my first search (was probably being too specific). Probably answers some of my questions. At least I'm not the only one to be confused.... :)

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=76503

Anyway, just ordered X367/8 etc from Hannants.

Edited by Caution Wake Turbulence

• 2 years later...

Further to my previous post in 2012, I completed this project last year following a bit more research into the right colours.

Regarding the light grey, I found the following on the branding designer's website 'Wicked Wolf'. "The new livery uses a lighter metallic grey than previously..." So for the new ‘lighter grey’ I made roughly a 40:60 mix of Xtracolor X367 Virgin Atlantic Grey and gloss white, over-sprayed with X368 Clear Pearlescent. As for the Red, designer's website says "newly specified highly metallic deep red". But in sunlight it appears quite bright, on a dull day its very dark. I opted for a middle-of-the-road solution using Tamiya TS-18 Metallic Red.

Below is a pic of my build, I think the end result looks about right.

Hope this helps

Tim

A333-Virgin2.jpg

• Like 7

Going back to the OP, top pic, if you look at the Virgin on the tail you can see the fuse is grey, but very light.

And also look at the flag on the nose. White versus the grey of the fuselage.

The tow tractor is white too.

And the antennae.

I have seen photos of this livery in several fuselage colours - white, light grey and the xtracolor grey. I think you are fine with any of those options.

Sorry, but definitely not white. Only the first two schemes were white, the rest have been grey. In certain lights or photos, they may appear white, but they're not. And the latest scheme is definite a lighter shade of grey (I missed that myself at first).

• 2 months later...

The new mini white silver metallic is a spot on match for virgin grey, google it

I found the best way to do the metallic red was a silver base coat and then 3 or 4 coats of Tamiya x27 clear red, here is my Concorde I done in the same way

]

i was going to ask you the colours again i am doing the 787-9 next

• 1 month later...

I tried to buy X367 and X368 only to find out that 368 is no longer available (I've got automatic refund from Hannants)

It seems like no shops have it in stock any more. Any suggestions for the replacement?

I tried to buy X367 and X368 only to find out that 368 is no longer available (I've got automatic refund from Hannants)It seems like no shops have it in stock any more. Any suggestions for the replacement?

I got mine at telford so I have 2 new tins but what does x369 do

Thanks

I got mine at telford so I have 2 new tins but what does x369 do

Thanks

As per Hannants' site:

X369 MICA 2. Use with base colour to give Pearlescent finish Use with X367 to produce North West airlines new colour.

Ah, yes, I know the sort of think you mean.

Thanks Rich.

Not familiar with the range as we can't get them, or couldn't before I moved.

As long a you use a silver backing paint and a clear Red overcoat you should be fine

Richard

• 5 years later...

Is Mazda crystal white pearl mica a good match for the Virgin Atlantic's current colour (the manufacturer PPG call it a 'high sparkle silver mica' reflecting 90% of light) which is a special mix? Or should I be looking for an Old English white? I always found OEW looked like a dirty white to me. And, yes I know that I need a mica finish. And yes I know about Hannants who are out of stock on one of the two colours you need to use Xtracolour paints, which always seems to be the way.

On 3/31/2020 at 6:07 PM, Abandoned Project said:

Seeing as Hannants are out of mica X368, would a mix of revell 371/gloss white with a coat of tamiya TD-65 pearl clear lacquer work?

Hi Mate

Sorry, only just seen your request for help. I'd go for your first option - a very light grey over-sprayed with pearl/mica.  Do a test first as some Tamiya sprays react with enamel paints.

Cheers

Tim

• Like 1