Zoukei-mura P51-D Mustang

Hey there chaps,

Got my P51D kit from ZM, and decided to finally start on it. This will be my first WIP here, so please be forgiving about mistakes and ask anything - especially as i might forget every now and then some important things... and well, just saying, my skills are not the best yet, still learning and breaking and fixing. And breaking again.

There are already reviews online, so I won't cover this section...enough said that I honestly was expecting a better fit - at least for the parts i've been working with, and that's the engine parts. Or at least cleaner parts.

The most annoying fitting issue - until now at least - was when gluing the cylinders to the crank block. Surprise, the cylinder block was tilted to left quite a bit, extremely visible after attaching the front oil coolant tank. So, i had to break it into pieces...and glue it again, now having some little space at the bottom, between cyl and crank.

However, the pictures!

Main engine sprue, with the majority of the required components except firewall, coolant tank and engine mounts:

Photo19-06-2012000932.jpg

Cylinder blocks, engine crank, cam covers, intake manifold, aftercooler, supercharger and gearbox

Photo19-06-2012005239.jpg

A couple of pipes etc painted semi gloss black (over an ahem, semi gloss black plastic)

Photo21-06-2012190412.jpg

Some more parts finished, including more piping and steel paints

Photo21-06-2012232827.jpg

And finally, some pieces glued together. Will have huge problems with the shrouds, apparently.

Photo22-06-2012003005.jpg

Oh, did I mentioned that the engine has 63 parts? No? Okay...

Thanks for looking guys!

• Like 1

Ah, where's the fun if it all just fall together...? ;) My most enjoyable builds are the ones that fight me to the bitter end. And that merlin is looking sweet. As they say (a lot) Keep calm and carry on! :)

Ok, so here we go...glue dried enough to take the pics.

There's still a decal missing on the merlin, but will add it later - although might be a tricky thing behind the engine mount.

I've also given a try to PE parts, and honestly I kind of regret that I bought them. The interior is nearly the same only with decals, while the external details and engine set...well, didn't really used them. I think this is the ONLY time i've bought separate PE parts...

So, the firewall (please note the PE parts hehe :)) )

Photo22-06-2012170513.jpg

And the engine sitting on the mounts (quite tricky to be honest, with plenty of cutting through the supports to make it fit correctly:

LEFT SIDE VIEW

Photo22-06-2012181716.jpg

TOP VIEW

Photo22-06-2012181739.jpg

BOTTOM VIEW

Photo22-06-2012181807.jpg

OVERALL

Photo22-06-2012181907.jpg

Photo22-06-2012182006.jpg

Now will start working on the interior. Already made the seatbelts from PE, but they really look like c**p. The PE chair is also lost (stepped on it after painting, so much luck I had my boots on). Currently filling the sidewalls on the exterior, to make sure will be nice and smooth without fuselage.

Updates, the following days.

• Like 1

Hello again guys,

Some more progress was done (oh my, how I love pretending I don't have a dissertation to write...)

Will start with the etch parts which form the main IP

Photo23-06-2012130341.jpg

And the finished panel.

Photo23-06-2012141846.jpg

The seatbelts...

Photo23-06-2012125341.jpg

...a quick dryfit to bend them in a plausible position...

Photo23-06-2012125253.jpg

...and the finished seat, including side supports

Photo23-06-2012174622.jpg

All the parts required for the interior (except PE parts)

Photo22-06-2012224819.jpg

And the floor and seat armor/ The interior green on the floor was brushed, and I ended up with a nice strains effect

Photo23-06-2012201721.jpg

That's it for now...

Have no idea when next update will be, I need to fix my airbrush first (fell of my hands while cleaning it and got a bend nozzle...)

• Like 1

Hey guys, short and quick question.

Will it work fine for the exterior (the few parts that will use now, mainly the rear tail) to paint with Tamiya 100ml Spray TS-17 - Gloss Aluminium?

Also, should I have a base of white or black, or can I just spray it out of the can?

I certainly DO, but consider the way you want to build it.

If you're going for a full build, maybe Tamiya's Mustang will fit you needs better. For this one there's just tonne of internal detail which will be lost once the fuselage is added.

I honestly plan to build it without fuselage, and at a later date buy 2 more sprues from ZM to get some parts i'll need to build another one (will be tricky, though). Will post some pictures of the sprues as soon as I have some time...

Still, my previous question stands for anyone having a good idea:

Will it work fine for the exterior to be painted with Tamiya 100ml Spray TS-17 - Gloss Aluminium? Over a coat of black, white, or directly over plastic?

Cheerios!

Hello everybody (again!),

Little update by now, as following:

Main fuel tanks, painted and with decals (a tiny black one inside the steel-coloured valve

Photo27-06-2012114437.jpg

The IP, completed with pedals, PE parts and a decal (the large red one at the bottom, between main IP and fuel switch

Photo27-06-2012114405.jpg

Photo27-06-2012114356.jpg

And some more parts, cut from sprues and ready to paint (nearly as good as a picture with a girl with big...ahem, eyes...)

Photo27-06-2012114308.jpg

And now, for everyone building or willing to build this kit, a few brotips (based mainly on dryfittings)

1. Attaching the coolant and oil pipes is easier starting from the engine, and FIRST gluing the junctions on the bottom of the engine. After that, side junctions can be made by inserting a scalpel (i use a scrap one) dipped in glue and moving the parts with a tweezer, it's quite tricky as space is ... well, it's gone because of the engine mounts. The last parts should be the front ones, joining the coolant tank. Also, the latter ends should get a short surgery session, for a good fit nearly the entire aligning pin should be removed.

2. Attaching the engine cowling frames is a nightmare. Just dryfit and redo. Still, the two top sides apparently can be glued together before sticking them to the engine mount. I have some problems and might need some sanding in front of the frames, hopefully will gain 1 extra mm on each side (the parts seem to be to short and don't touch the mount). The lower parts go in place without many trouble.

3. Attaching the coolant system should not be done in the order presented in the manual. Instead, could start with the front part (Oil cooler), followed by radiator (middle) and radiator duct (end), while the manual says that you should glue first front and end parts, and then (somehow) try to fit the radiator in the middle.

So, well, that's it for now, enjoy the images!

Cheerios

• Like 1

Aaaaand some more updates!

Bits and pieces. Might in the end paint the cowling frame lime green as well, instead of steel. Maybe just a little framing in steel color.

a6488561.jpg

A nice spinning test. Some space unfortunately and a bit noisy, but no one will stay and blow towards the propeller (i hope)

9911a1bd.jpg

And last but not least, the piping attached to the engine. Had some problems with the coolant air intake but finally fixed them.

4ce8bd67.jpg

New stuff soon, just have to take the pics.

• Like 1

Aaaaaand new weekend update.

MG ammo belts...

b9b41420.jpg

...with some brass paint, masking for the bullet support belt...

e4369bb8.jpg

...and a dryfit, after some balck weathering... (not really happy with the results)

af697b91.jpg

Meanwhile, i broke the pe doors so from the small pe set for ammo doors will only use the placards, instead of decals, as well as a tiny plate for each MG.

Next, completed landing front landing gear

901bdb0a.jpg

6ebd7cfb.jpg

And créme de la créme, the tailwing (will only use parts of it for this build). While taking the picture i was literally shaking the poo-poo out of if, it's a really solid fit, yet not the best fit in town. Shame, ZM.

48db9ccc.jpg

Also, piece of advice: you won't be able to build the tail following the instructions, because of the weird way the parts are divided. Therefore, i recommend gluing the rudder (!!except the front thin parts, will need tweaking in the end!!), the turning it upside down, attaching te elevators (glued as well), and after that the left wheel bat cover, followed by the right one. It's a bit tricky, but some dryfittings should give you a good idea.

C'mon guys, some moral support needed here :))

Have a nice weekend!

HI ciunky, keep up the good work. I was going to point you toward this link http://sparforums.com/ipb/index.php?/topic...-p-51d-mustang/ but I see you have been on that thread!The ammo belts look OK to me, but maybe a wash will help to pick out the detail?

Chris

Haha, good one, luckly I'm way ahead of that build :)

Yet, the belts are already washed, maybe another layer will help even more

I was thinking of Eduard's ammo belts, but they are quite too expensive and I do not really have that experience with PE to build such a work of art...

Really small update this time,

Rear section of fuselage support added, removed battery and radio waiting for the baracuda ones. Tail wheel strut done, tail wheel section as well.

3184b87d.jpg

Apparently the top part of the tail section has to support both rudder and elevators, while resting on the landing gear; really looks tricky and risky, so one more reason to cast the internal structure in an attempt to reinforce it.

Other parts are on hold, paint cans waiting to be delivered. Cockpit walls will be soon ready, just waiting for some finer tweezers.

And the set of goodies:

84dbd4d8.jpg

Updated, as promised after a great free day.

Sidewalls, painted and sanded down in a couple of areas...

aa63d582.jpg

...instruments painted...

7bc060bf.jpg

...etched...

380f63c4.jpg

...decaled...

1a2d2fbf.jpg

...and with final touchups...

758cac71.jpg

Touchups meaning basically the oxygen hose, PE rails and filling the gaps between plastic and etched parts.

Some of the decals are not visible from the front, so there's a 3D-ish pic - not representative, but there's still 3 decals that were't visible:

6e301186.jpg

And, once more, the IP after adding another set of decals from the Baracuda sheet - just 3, but the yellow demarcation line makes the best out of it:

48b1945c.jpg

That's it for now, thanks for looking!

• Like 1

New updates, guys.

The rear section of the cockpit, including the battery and radio from Barracuda, some scratchbuild pipes and that tiny "whatever" i front of the battery, which appears to be on Tamiya's P but ZM ignored it. Also te Barracuda placards were used.

1f8ab02d.jpg

cc243b6f.jpg

Cockpit with left sidewall...

90c544fd.jpg

...and right one

7579b3b2.jpg

The IP will be glued after i get my hands on some new cans of gloss varnish, to seal everything in place.

Next, front landing gear and proppeler decaled

051b5c1f.jpg

bec40608.jpg

There are some decals for the yellow ends as well, but they appear to be about ~1mm wider, so will just paint them.

And next, a quick dryfit for water your mouths a bit...

32ebe104.jpg

51689b3f.jpg

Thanks for looking!

• Like 1

Lovely work, I'm looking forward to more pictures.

I'm sorry I wasn't notified of your last PM (unlike the previous ones), here's what you were looking for:

Picture1-88.png

It is easier for me if you ask questions on the boards.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...